• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • codaman33
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2004
    • Houston, TX, USA.

170 piece brad point drill bit set at Woodcraft

Hey, I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about the 170 piece brad point drill bit set? It is going for $29.99. There aree 19 sizes ranging from 1/16" to 3/8". There are 5 to 10 bits per size. What do you think about the quality? Is this truly a good deal? Let me hear from you.
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

I have a rather odd set of U.S. made brad-point bits. I purchased it about 12+ years ago from Woodworker's Supply. It includes 18 bits from 1/16 to 1/2. Some of the bits larger than 1/4 were skipped (to save money, as they are quite expensive bits). I recently needed a 11/32" bit (not included in my set) so I went to my local Woodcraft.

I compared the quality of the bits in the monster set to the quality of a German-made Colt bit they carry. The monster set bits were very roughly machined. I spent $3 on the Colt bit and figured I'd just augment what I already have. It matches the quality of the bits in my U.S. made set very nicely.

Comment

• TB Roye
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Sacramento, CA, USA.
      • BT3100

I though for $30 it was a pretty good deal so I picked up 2 sets and gave one to BIL for all the Basketball game tickets he gave us this year (Sacramento Kings) Haven't tried them yet so don't know how good they really are.

Tom

Tom

Comment

• MikeMcCoy
        • Nov 2004
        • Moncks Corner, SC, USA.
        • Delta Contractor Saw

I bought that set and the machine set when they had their sale last year and was pleasantly surprised.

Comment

• Popeye
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2003
          • Woodbine, Ga
          • Grizzly 1023SL

A friend of mine was the guinea pig the last time they were on sale. They're worth what they're asking for them. I bought a set this time. Pat
          Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
            The Full Monte
            • May 2007
            • Sunshine State
            • BT3000

A quick note that they are sold out online, with no backorders to come, so unless your local store has some in stock, you're SOL this time around.

Comment

Working...