• Jan 2008
    • Pennsylvania
    • Ryobi BT3000

Cherry chisels

Good deal on a set of Cherry chisels.
    Great tool to have in your shop.

http://www.craftsmanstudio.com/html_p/L5001575.htm

Mike
    "The power of kindness is immense. It is nothing less, really, than the power to change the world."
  • tbarn
    Established Member
    • Jun 2004
    • PA, USA.
    • BT3100

Are these any different than the ones at www.Holbren.com for $112 or $99 if you don't want the box?

Comment

• Knottscott
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2004
      • Rochester, NY.
      • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by tbarn
      Are these any different than the ones at www.Holbren.com for $112 or $99 if you don't want the box?
      I think they're the same but Holbren is out of stock on the 6 pc sets.
      Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• ksum
        Forum Newbie
        • Jan 2007

Great chisels! I got 3 as a present from my wife and couldn't be happier.

Buying them individually from these two sites will save you:

Holbren has them on sale, and individually, without the leather roll, they are 118.96. Is there a discount for forum membners at Holbren? I can't recall. http://www.holbren.com/home.php?cat=638

di legno woodshop supply would cost you 138.50 at their regular price. Again, wothout the leather roll.

I am not taking shipping into account. Craftsman Studio lists the chisels individually, and also has a price match + 10% of the difference, so that could be a route.

I have no affiliation with these sites, and honestly have never ordered from them, but may be placing an order with one later today.

Karl

Comment

• MikeMcCoy
          • Nov 2004
          • Moncks Corner, SC, USA.
          • Delta Contractor Saw

Our weak dollar is going to put a major crimp in imported European tool purchases.

Comment

• herb fellows
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2007
            • New York City
            • bt3100

Originally posted by ksum
            Great chisels! I got 3 as a present from my wife and couldn't be happier.

Buying them individually from these two sites will save you:

Holbren has them on sale, and individually, without the leather roll, they are 118.96. Is there a discount for forum membners at Holbren? I can't recall. http://www.holbren.com/home.php?cat=638

di legno woodshop supply would cost you 138.50 at their regular price. Again, wothout the leather roll.

I am not taking shipping into account. Craftsman Studio lists the chisels individually, and also has a price match + 10% of the difference, so that could be a route.

I have no affiliation with these sites, and honestly have never ordered from them, but may be placing an order with one later today.

Karl
            They're actually the same price ($149) w/ free shipping from Amazon. Given the choice of supporting Amazon or a small company, all other things being equal, I'd buy from them. Without the leather roll at the other webstes seems good though.
            Last edited by herb fellows; 04-04-2008, 01:22 PM. Reason: mispell
            You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• herb fellows
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2007
              • New York City
              • bt3100

Originally posted by tbarn
              Just had a look at Holbren. They don't have them, but if they did, the prices were $140 with the box, $125 without.
              Last edited by herb fellows; 04-04-2008, 02:53 PM.
              You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• Knottscott
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2004
                • Rochester, NY.
                • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by herb fellows
                Just had a look at Holbren. They don't have them, but if the did, the prices were $140 with the box, $125 without.
                They're actually on sale at Holbren, but OOS. If you go to "chisels"/"chisel sets" they'll show up as $112 s/box, $100 w/o. Not sure why they show a different price from different screens.....not sure if he can honor the price on his replacement stock...

Two Cherries 6 Piece Bevel Edge Chisel Set in Wooden box
                See details

Item #: 500-1561
                Price: $111.96

Quantity Out of stock
                Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• herb fellows
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2007
                  • New York City
                  • bt3100

Originally posted by Dustmight
                  They're actually on sale at Holbren, but OOS. If you go to "chisels"/"chisel sets" they'll show up as $112 s/box, $100 w/o. Not sure why they show a different price from different screens.....not sure if he can honor the price on his replacement stock...

See details

Quantity Out of stock
                  I followed your link and went to the website from outside, still see it as $125 and $140. What is 'oos'? Am I missing something here?

Comment

• herb fellows
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2007
                    • New York City
                    • bt3100

See details

Quantity Out of stock
                    Got it, Out Of Stock!

Comment

• herb fellows
                      Veteran Member
                      • Apr 2007
                      • New York City
                      • bt3100

See details

Quantity Out of stock
                      The link you supplied is showing up as $140??! Am I missing something here?
                      AHA!

If you hit 'chisels' in the left hand column, then 'chisel sets', I see your prices. Every other way you approach it, it's the higher prices. Weird!

Comment

• herb fellows
                        Veteran Member
                        • Apr 2007
                        • New York City
                        • bt3100

Originally posted by herb fellows
                        The link you supplied is showing up as $140??! Am I missing something here?
                        AHA!

If you hit 'chisels' in the left hand column, then 'chisel sets', I see your prices. Every other way you approach it, it's the higher prices. Weird!
                        I just emailed Brian at Holbren. I quote: they are sold out, never to return'. He just hasn't gotten around to removing them from the website yet.

Comment

• SteveK2
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Aug 2007
                          • Central NJ

See details

Quantity Out of stock
                          Brian (aka Holbren) posted a deal on these chisels on Woodnet (last weekend, I believe). He was looking to clear them out and dropped the price on what he had in stock. The deal was limited to stock on hand.

Looks like Herb beat me to the bottomline on these chisels....that's what happens sometimes when you post from work -- work gets in the way. :-)
                          Last edited by SteveK2; 04-04-2008, 03:56 PM.

Comment

• herb fellows
                            Veteran Member
                            • Apr 2007
                            • New York City
                            • bt3100

Originally posted by SteveK2
                            Brian (aka Holbren) posted a deal on these chisels on Woodnet (last weekend, I believe). He was looking to clear them out and dropped the price on what he had in stock. The deal was limited to stock on hand.

Looks like Herb beat me to the bottomline on these chisels....that's what happens sometimes when you post from work -- work gets in the way. :-)
                            Nah, i missed them also! I know that won't make you feel any better.....well, maybe just a bit!

Comment

• Holbren
                              • Oct 2004
                              • Heathrow, FL.

If you see the price with that little green sale tag that's the real price. For some reason the "on sale" module has a little bug where the product page doesn't show the correct price but if you add it to the cart you will be charged the correct price.

The Two Cherries product is never to return as Herb mentioned.

To Mike's comment, prices have gone up a few times over the past year. New inventory from the UK (Crown, Sorby, Taylor ...) will be at a premium as will the German product.
                              Brian
                              Holbren, Whiteside, LRH, Ridge, Tenryu, Norton
                              "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
                              www.holbren.com

Comment

Working...