• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chadwick
    Forum Newbie
    • Sep 2005
    • Central Texas

Hf 12" scms

Anyone have a code, or seen a catalog price lower than $149 for the HF 12" scms? On occasion, I have seen it as low as $129 or even $99.

Thanks
  • Lonnie in Orlando
    • May 2003
    • Orlando, FL, USA.
    • BT3000

Bought mine for $119.99 sale price at HF retail store in Sep 2005, minus 20% coupon to make final cost $95.99. Haven't seen it that low since.

- Lonnie
    OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all

Comment

• tsbrewers
      Established Member
      • Mar 2006

how bout $79?

Now, i don't want to start a ethics war, and I don't condone this, but you COULD save the page as a web page complete, then open the page in MS word, and make the price what ever you want. Then bring it in to price match. Here is an just an EXAMPLE,

What I do is when someone posts an "all time low" price at HF and when it is something I might buy someday, I just save the web page to my computer. That way I can print it out and bring it in anytime. There is no expiration date on these pages, and they don't check at the store, just change the price and say it is a "web price" Obviously using Word to change the price is bad Karma, and I can HONESTLY say I have never done this, but I am pretty sure it would work.

Brew
      Last edited by tsbrewers; 02-10-2008, 12:26 AM.

Comment

• joekj
        Forum Newbie
        • Feb 2004

they go by the number prefix

after the item number 1vga,2vga etc...

try 91852-5vga $169.97
        Last edited by joekj; 02-10-2008, 01:30 AM.

Comment

• stormdog74
          Established Member
          • Mar 2007
          • Sacramento, CA
          • Ridgid TS3650

Originally posted by tsbrewers
          how bout $79?

Now, i don't want to start a ethics war, and I don't condone this, but you COULD save the page as a web page complete, then open the page in MS word, and make the price what ever you want. Then bring it in to price match. Here is an just an EXAMPLE,

What I do is when someone posts an "all time low" price at HF and when it is something I might buy someday, I just save the web page to my computer. That way I can print it out and bring it in anytime. There is no expiration date on these pages, and they don't check at the store, just change the price and say it is a "web price" Obviously using Word to change the price is bad Karma, and I can HONESTLY say I have never done this, but I am pretty sure it would work.

Brew
          I would say this is fraud - not a good idea for many reasons, even if it would work.

Comment

• Chadwick
            Forum Newbie
            • Sep 2005
            • Central Texas

Originally posted by Lonnie in Orlando
            Bought mine for $119.99 sale price at HF retail store in Sep 2005, minus 20% coupon to make final cost $95.99. Haven't seen it that low since.

- Lonnie
            Lonnie,

How do you like yours? I know that they are not Makitas or DeWalts, but the 12" seemed a little smoother and better built than the 10" model when I looked at them in the store. Saw that they have been rated as a best buy for the price by one of the woodworker magazines, and some folks have said that their's were dead on out the box.

That's a real good price, was hoping that maybe it would be on sale again for less than the $149 on the upcoming March sidewalk sale. But I might just bight the bullet and get it now, with a 10% of coupon, puts it around $134, not a bad price I guess.

Thanks

Comment

• Chadwick
              Forum Newbie
              • Sep 2005
              • Central Texas

how bout $79?

Brew
              Almost jumped out of my chair when I saw this price, but I can't do that. $79 would make it pretty tempting though.

Comment

• tsbrewers
                Established Member
                • Mar 2006

Originally posted by joekj
                after the item number 1vga,2vga etc...

try 91852-5vga $169.97

Mine doesn't. They just type in the price, then click on the "web price" button. I have used coupons, and matched pages that don't have the second code on it with no problem. But, like I said, I have never done it with word. I have brought in saved pages that had the lowest price I could find though to price match.

Brew

Comment

• sweensdv
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2002
                  • WI
                  • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

how bout $79?

Brew
                  If you don't want to start an ethics war and don't condone the practice why did you post this?

Comment

• ironhat
                    Veteran Member
                    • Aug 2004
                    • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                    • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Originally posted by Chadwick
                    Lonnie,

How do you like yours? I know that they are not Makitas or DeWalts, but the 12" seemed a little smoother and better built than the 10" model when I looked at them in the store. Saw that they have been rated as a best buy for the price by one of the woodworker magazines, and some folks have said that their's were dead on out the box.
                    <snip>
                    Thanks

Yes, Lonnie, I'm curious as well. I bought one several years ago ($99) but it would not cut to the angle selected. It appeared that either the detent holes were not drilled properly (since 90* was OK but 45* was not) or, the motor/ blade assembly was mounted poorly. My SIL says that his is fine but he's not a furniture builder so his standards and needs may be different than mine.
                    Blessings,
                    Chiz

Comment

• tsbrewers
                      Established Member
                      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by sweensdv
                      If you don't want to start an ethics war and don't condone the practice why did you post this?

Mostly to just point out you can save the pages on to your computer when the price is really low, then bring it in to price match. I live 2 hours from a HF and I can't run in everytime something is a great deal. I save the pages when they are a good price, then when I have a chance to go to the store, I print out the ones that I am planning on buying. We all know that HF has different prices online, in magazines, in the store, in the flyers, etc. I just keep track of the lowest prices and use them when I need them.

Brew

Comment

• Lonnie in Orlando
                        • May 2003
                        • Orlando, FL, USA.
                        • BT3000

Chadwick and Chiz:

For $100, I like mine ... tell myself so, every time I use it.

PROS -
                        > Price (on deal)
                        > Powerful
                        > Sider w/12" blade can cut wide boards
                        > Slider moves smoothly
                        > Accurate, after I attached an aux fence. See below.
                        > Laser works for rough cuts. I don't use it.

CONS -
                        > Thin castings, probably not good for a job site saw.
                        > Fence is warped. I corrected with aux fence. See below.
                        > Blade doesn't make satin-smooth cuts. Can't bring myself to buy a blade for more than I paid for the saw.
                        > No brake.

re: 45deg miters
                        I use my BT3000 when absolutely accurate miters are required.
                        http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=36227
                        However, I just made a 45deg test cut and checked it against a 45deg drafting triangle. It was good.

Aux fence
                        The fence was warped just enough to cause me to not trust it for accurate cuts. I attached a plywood face to the fence with hot glue. Held it exactly 90deg to the table while the glue cooled. Hot glue fills the void between the plywood and the warped fence. Afterward, I adjusted the fence/aux fence to make square cuts. It is dead-on for 90deg cuts. 30-min fix. And the stops seem OK, too.

Link to details of Aux fence ...
                        http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=32781

I also replaced the insert with a piece of 1/2" plywood.

- Lonnie
                        Last edited by Lonnie in Orlando; 02-10-2008, 12:06 PM.
                        OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all

Comment

• RAV2
                          Established Member
                          • Aug 2007
                          • Massachusetts

I've got the 10" and it came with the blade - this is often what changes with the offers.

I was surprised to learn that a friend handyman uses his on his basement remodeling gigs. He is a happy user for several years.

My needs are not furniture quality but I've got mine on the Ryobi Miter SUV and added the Irwin laser washer. I think I'm into this setup for a total of $229 (washer and blade special they were running several months ago) and this is a pretty kick ass combo for a homeowner.

The included blase is not great but meets my needs. I mostly chop 2 x 4's. A project this summer was using slab sided pressure treated timbers to border the flower beds and it made the task a breeze.

I'd do it again with the 12" if I did not have the 10". Saw even comes with an extra set of brushes!

Comment

• sweensdv
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2002
                            • WI
                            • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Originally Posted by tsbrewers

Mostly to just point out you can save the pages on to your computer when the price is really low, then bring it in to price match. I live 2 hours from a HF and I can't run in everytime something is a great deal. I save the pages when they are a good price, then when I have a chance to go to the store, I print out the ones that I am planning on buying. We all know that HF has different prices online, in magazines, in the store, in the flyers, etc. I just keep track of the lowest prices and use them when I need them.
                            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well I must have totally misunderstood your intent. I read your post as a "how to" on how easy it would be to change the prices on a HF ad, print out the made up priced add, bring the counterfeit ad into a HF and cheat them. Sorry for the confusion.
                            Last edited by sweensdv; 02-10-2008, 12:09 PM.

Comment

• ironhat
                              Veteran Member
                              • Aug 2004
                              • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                              • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Thanks, Lonnie. Very nice review and the hot-glue filler idea is killer! I just may have to get another. That way I can convert my Dad's old Craftsman, 9" RAS (yep, 9") to a permanent dado station, my PC CMS to a precision station and the HF to rough cutting. Or, maybe I should just cool my heels a while and evaluate whether or not I need another power tool in a small shop. Either way, thanks!
                              Blessings,
                              Chiz

Comment

Working...