• Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Bosch 1587AVSK Top-Hand Jig Saw $69.95

Don't know how big of a bargain this is as I don't keep up with these. It seems like I remember them being more expensive

At Amazon: Bosch 1587AVSK Top-Handle Jig Saw $69.95

IS this a bargain?
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
  • Crash2510
    • Feb 2006
    • North Central Ohio

good deal

usually over 100 dollars in stores

not sure about normal amazon price
    Phil In Ohio
    The basement woodworker

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2005
      • York, PA, USA.

**** good price. Usually runs right around $100. It went down from $140 or so to $100 after the 1590 came out.

1587 is great jigsaw, especially for that price! The 1590 has better blade control and easier blade change, but that is a big price difference.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2005
        • Independence, MO, USA.
        • bt3100

This is the one that everyone told me to buy when I found it new for $85. There are two differences between it and the 1590.

One, there is a trick to removing the blades. Pull the top cap and spin it three times (found this on Amazons reviews of it). It makes it easier (some tension issue?).

Two, I read an article on making coves with your jigsaw, and the attachment they reviewed, would fit on this one, but not on the 1590, due to some slight design change (size of baseplate if I remember the article).

Everyone told me the ease of changing blades, wasn't worth the extra between the two.
        She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• radhak
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2006
          • Miramar, FL
          • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

I got it at $85 too, and it's never even touched that low in the 2 year since, so this is a really good deal.

And don't worry about the 1590. I have not had to change my blade at all in the 2 years that i have had the 1587 ! Love my 1587.
          It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
          - Aristotle

Comment

• Stormbringer
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2005
            • Floral Park, NY
            • Bosch 4000

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
            This is the one that everyone told me to buy when I found it new for $85. There are two differences between it and the 1590.

One, there is a trick to removing the blades. Pull the top cap and spin it three times (found this on Amazons reviews of it). It makes it easier (some tension issue?).

Two, I read an article on making coves with your jigsaw, and the attachment they reviewed, would fit on this one, but not on the 1590, due to some slight design change (size of baseplate if I remember the article).

Everyone told me the ease of changing blades, wasn't worth the extra between the two.

Linux,

Your second difference is really an accessory issue. The second real difference when comparing between the two is , as Jeff pointed out, the blade guide/control system. It is second to none. I didn't know what all the fuss was about....until I used it. I got the 1590 for $125 and would pay that again over the $85 for the 1587 for these two features alone. Based on current pricing, however, the 1587 is a tremendous deal.

Greg

Comment

• ryan.s
              • Feb 2006
              • So Cal
              • Ridgid TS3650

They were on sale for a short while for the $69.95 last Feb. but I don't think it lasted very long. I picked one up before they went on sale and got a price match a week or two later. I wouldn't wait if you're in the market for a good jigsaw at a very low price.

Comment

• chopnhack
                Veteran Member
                • Oct 2006
                • Florida
                • Ryobi BT3100

I am in desparate need of a replacement since my old p.o.s jigsaw died - no name brand. Can you please elaborate Stormbringer on the difference in blade control?
                Is the 1587 not as accurate in guiding the blade and how much of a difference does it really make between the two?
                Thanks.
                Also, has anyone ever used the barrel type handle and are there any pro's/con's to those units?
                Last edited by chopnhack; 01-21-2008, 12:47 PM.
                I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• Stormbringer
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2005
                  • Floral Park, NY
                  • Bosch 4000

Originally posted by chopnhack
                  I am in desparate need of a replacement since my old p.o.s jigsaw died - no name brand. Can you please elaborate Stormbringer on the difference in blade control?
                  Is the 1587 not as accurate in guiding the blade and how much of a difference does it really make between the two?
                  Thanks.
                  Also, has anyone ever used the barrel type handle and are there any pro's/con's to those units?

Read this first:

http://www.bt3central.com/showthread...hlight=article

Then Tom's Review

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/b1590rvu.html

Fine Homebuilding

http://www.taunton.com/finehomebuild...x?nterms=89580

Again, just to reiterate, if you want the best and have money to burn get the 1590. If you want very good, save yourseld $80 and get the 1587 at it's current price. - Greg

Comment

• jtrcy
                    Established Member
                    • Jan 2005

One reason they're so cheap now is that they are made in China. The original 1587's of even just 3-4 years ago were made in Switzerland.

Maybe doesn't really make much diff in the real world - still a steal at $69 I'd say.

JT

Comment

• RagerXS
                      • Feb 2003
                      • Brookline, NH, USA.

I think the 1587 is the second-best jigsaw available (does Festool make one of these yet?). Sure, the 1590 is better, but realistically how much do you use your jigsaw? Your answer will tell you whether or not you should pay the extra for the 1590, but regardless of that this is a fantastic price for the 1587.

~ Fred

Comment

• Knottscott
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2004
                        • Rochester, NY.
                        • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

It looks like a good deal to me, but it's not directly from Amazon so you pay $15 s/h....~ $85 to your door....still a good deal compared to the local Borg. $55 shipped if you take advantage of Amazon's $30 credit card offer....someone please remind me to cancel it after I payoff the $55 balance!
                        Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• drumpriest
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2004
                          • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                          • Powermatic PM 2000

Fred, yes Festool does make a jig saw, and I read a review once that declared it the clear winner. It's a bit over 400$. The Bosch came in second, at under 200$. I have the 1587 and think it's fantastic, got it for 130$ a few years ago with a 70$ sander for free. I'd say it's a darn good deal. It's certainly been enough jigsaw for anything I've needed.
                          Keith Z. Leonard
                          Go Steelers!

Comment

• chopnhack
                            Veteran Member
                            • Oct 2006
                            • Florida
                            • Ryobi BT3100

Thanks to all for their input. Dustmight brings up a good point, if I need a straight cut, I will use my TS. I think I'm gonna replace my old one!
                            I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• jtrcy
                              Established Member
                              • Jan 2005

Lest you give out too much mis-information - the Festool jigsaw's run only $280 - still expensive, but nowhere near $400.

And, as a self-serving addition - I am selling a LN Festool jigsaw in the classifieds section for $225.00

Regards,

Julian

Comment

Working...