• Show
Clear All
  • messmaker
    Veteran Member
    • May 2004
    • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
    • Ridgid 2424

Skil 10.8 drill driver $29

Amazon is taking orders for these. I am not much of a SKIL fan but looks like a good kitchen drawer tool. http://www.amazon.com/Factory-Recond...316909&sr=8-14
    spellling champion Lexington region 1982
  • burrellski
    Established Member
    • Dec 2005
    • Saint Joseph, MO.

I am as far from a Skill fan as possible, but I picked one up on clearance at Lowes for $19 about a year ago. I've definitely been impressed. A surprising amount of power. Holds a charge forever. It has come in very handy when I don't want to reach for the 25lb DeWalt. I use it around the house all of the time and in the shop when I don't want to switch between a drill bit and a driver bit every 15 seconds (pocket holes, etc...)

Comment

• Bill Anderson
      Forum Newbie
      • Dec 2007

Does this really have enough power to drive many screws? Does it have an impact action to make driving screws easier? Could you give me an idea of rpm, I can't find rpm anywhere. Thanks for the heads up. Bill

Comment

• rmcjh
        Forum Newbie
        • Oct 2003
        • Waxahachie, Texas, USA.

Skil 10.8 drill driver $29

The Amazon web site shows that they are temporarily out of stock but will place you on their order list and send the item to you as soon as it comes in.
        roger

Comment

• JeffG78
          Established Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Northville, Michigan - a Detroit suburb
          • BT3100

I have never been a Skil fan, but my dad bought me the new 7.2V Li Ion driver and the ratchet. So far, neither has impressed me much. I used a #2 phillips bit from the Skil tool in my DeWalt 14.4 on a 3" wood screw into a predrilled hole. The screw was about half way into the wood and the DeWalt wasn't straining at all when the Skil bit broke. The only thing I can figure is that they only made the bits strong enough for their 7.2V tools. I used the Skil driver on a few very basic screws and it is weak at best. Maybe the 10.8V is better, but it does sound like a kitchen drawer tool.

Comment

• messmaker
            Veteran Member
            • May 2004
            • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
            • Ridgid 2424

I found this on the web if anyone needs more info.It is from a user on the Ridgid tool site.-Skil 10.8 Volt/Drill Driver

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just picked this one up @ Lowes for $60 ($80 at HD and everywhere else.) Seemed like a good deal compared to it's Bosch brother which runs $130. The specs are very similar to Bosch I-driver. 1 lb, 13 oz. 0-400 rpm. 90 in lb torque. 1.1 AmpHr battery..not serviceable. 10 stage electronic clutch.

Tried it tonight to remove and install door hinges. Plenty of torque…but the electronic clutch doesn’t work well. At anything but the lightest setting it would overtorque. Even the lightest setting wasn’t incredibly reliable. With smaller screws than the #10's I was using I would have been in trouble. The light is nice but isn’t aimed exactly right…but close enough to throw a little illumination.
            spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

• jtrcy
              Established Member
              • Jan 2005

I also have one I bought on clearance at Lowes a year ago for $19.

Has nice amount of power - the clutch is useless, and the speed control is difficult to control, but the batteries last forever and it's a great design and the light is useful.

I just picked up the Skil 1/4" lithium ratchet - that's a nice little sucker. If you do ANY amount of assembly, it saves a ton of time and seems to have decent power as well.

They had the ratchet at HD for $29 a few weeks ago, normally $59.

JT

Comment

• rgh43

Skill 10.8

If you are interested Costco is selling this drill for $39.99 with a $10.00 instant rebate = $29.99 offer good until the end of Janaury. I took mine back after I tried it out, drove a few screws way to strong at the lowest setting. Put a drill bit in, tightened it in the vise and I still couldnt get the electronic clutch to slip as may Dewalt will at lowest setting. Drives way to strong at the lowest setting.

Comment

• Crash2510
                  • Feb 2006
                  • North Central Ohio

I have never been a firm believer in the clutch idea because it can need a different setting for every screw depending on what kind and grain the wood you are drilling into.

therefore i never buy a drill based on clutch if you want a screw to stop precisely where you want it to let off the trigger. I thnk i might pick up the 12v ryobi for a little more money because I already have the bosch 10.8 impactor(thanks Bt3central)
                  Phil In Ohio
                  The basement woodworker

Comment

Working...