• Show
Clear All
  • jgscott987
    Established Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Greensboro, NC, USA.
    • BT3100 +

Harbor Freight "Subscription"???

This was on the front cover of the latest mailer. They think I'm going to pay them to get their advertisements? Good luck.

• Woodwerker
    Established Member
    • Nov 2005

Got the same mailer today LOL

Thats just a scare tactic

I ordered in the mail two years ago and been getting ads ever since, if they only knew what I spent in the stores
    Every tool you own is broken, you just don't know it yet :-)

Comment

• KC7CN
      Forum Newbie
      • Aug 2007
      • Deltona, Florida
      • PowerMatic 64A

I've been getting them too! <rant on> HF is out of their mind if they think I'm going to give them $2 bucks to pay for THEIR advertising. If everyone else pawned off their overhead, they could have lower prices too! They need to can the guy that came up with stupid idea! </rant off>

Comment

• parnelli
        • Aug 2004
        • bt3100

Originally posted by Woodwerker
        I ordered in the mail two years ago and been getting ads ever since, if they only knew what I spent in the stores
        I think I'm in exactly the same boat. Ordered delivery back when they had free delivery deals, but now do all my shopping at the store.

They can stop delivering them if they want, but there are probably 3 or 4 things I'll buy this weekend after getting my 'last' catalog in the mail. Don't send it and I won't think to spend it....

Comment

• jgscott987
          Established Member
          • Sep 2004
          • Greensboro, NC, USA.
          • BT3100 +

Suckers?

I guess they're just trying to see how many suckers will actually give them two bucks. Next thing you know there will be a donation box at the entrance to the store.

I could see them asking people to re-confirm that they actually want the catalogs once in a while. I'm sure there are many many folks (including the people at my last two addresses) who get the catalog and throw it right in the trash.
          Last edited by jgscott987; 01-04-2008, 11:41 PM.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
            The Full Monte
            • May 2007
            • Sunshine State
            • BT3000

Originally posted by KC7CN
            They need to can the guy that came up with stupid idea!
            It's probably the same guy who, in the past year, has taken them from 20% off coupons practically all of the time to 15% every once in a while, and from no quantity limits to "limit 5 with coupon", added the words "no reproductions accepted" to the coupons, and requiring coupons on many items to get the advertised sale prices. They are testing the waters to see how far the consumers can be pushed. I'll guarantee that their junk would not sell without being priced considerably lower than trusted brands. I guess they're gonna have to find this out the hard way.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2005
              • Independence, MO, USA.
              • bt3100

If you pay by plastic or check (filled out any coupons), they know about what you buy and spend (marketing databases), and you will continue to receive fliers (good business sense).
              Mass mailers, may get cut down some, so those people who don't come so often, will go sign up on some mailing list)
              The $2 is basically pure sucker profit.

Even if it costs them, they increase some of their more popular merchandise by a little, and pay for the fliers that bring them in the $$$. So they get paid for them twice by any sucker who pays money for them (although they may receive more, just to try to bring in more sucker money).
              She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• mater
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2004
                • SC, USA.

I didn't get that notice but they did stop sending me coupons thru my emal.
                Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• Ed62
                  The Full Monte
                  • Oct 2006
                  • NW Indiana
                  • BT3K

I won't pay for the subscription. In fact, I rarely buy from the catalog. Their sales from the e-mails seems to be a better deal.

Ed
                  Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• eezlock
                    • Feb 2006
                    • Charlotte,N.C.
                    • BT3100

Horrible Freight

Get a load of these jerks....$2.00 for a subsrciption for a year? come on here,
                    they must think that everyone is sucker for their junk!

If, I wanted anything from them....there would have to be a 15% discount coupon involved or no deal! I'm not spending more than $20.00 without a coupon...and they haven't given me any reason to buy from them in a long time. As far as I'm concerned...they can stop sending their junk fliers to me,
                    the stores don't have the merchandise they advertise anyway, and I'm not
                    too happy about having to pay for shipping and handling for everything that
                    I want . I have called their stores about an item I needed and their
                    response is always the same " that is a catalogue or internet only item, we don't have that in the retail stores" ....bull s#!*...I say!

No discount coupon= no sale! final word!

Comment

• sweensdv
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2002
                      • WI
                      • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

I got the same notice quite awhile ago. I still receive the mailings for the retail store but the website catalogs did stop coming.

Comment

• Parkingmeter
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Dec 2007
                        • Santa Barbara ,CA

I've signed up numerous times while in their store and online over the last 5 years to get their catalouge and email ads and still have not recieved a single one. I finally just gave up and get their fliers and coupons online myself.

Comment

• JR
                          The Full Monte
                          • Feb 2004
                          • Eugene, OR
                          • BT3000

I've often tried to make sense of HF's marketing methods. I just can not figure out what makes them tick.

Their HQ is about five miles from my house. Maybe when i retire I'll get a part time job over there. It would be really interesting to discover how this kind of decision gets made and who makes it.

If they're so all fired anxious to develop complicated data mining schemes, coupled with clever revenue generation, you'd think they'd have a search engine that worked worth a darn. It's hard for me to give them any credit for clever data management when I can't find a hand plane using "search".

JR
                          JR

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 2005
                            • Independence, MO, USA.
                            • bt3100

Originally posted by Parkingmeter
                            I've signed up numerous times while in their store and online over the last 5 years to get their catalouge and email ads and still have not recieved a single one. I finally just gave up and get their fliers and coupons online myself.

Took me around three years to receive what I would call their catalog (closer to what it was pre store, years ago). It was thinner then expected (about the thickness of 60 fliers), and not worth the hassle. I like their mass mailers (how I have received the last coupons) and their online coupons, and if they DID do away with non subscription based fliers, I bet my bank account might be happier.
                            She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• messmaker
                              Veteran Member
                              • May 2004
                              • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
                              • Ridgid 2424

Originally posted by sweensdv
                              I got the same notice quite awhile ago. I still receive the mailings for the retail store but the website catalogs did stop coming.

Same here. I bet if you continue to order at least once a year, you will still get the mailers.
                              spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

Working...