• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JimD
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2003
    • Lexington, SC.

Wind up LED lights at HD 3 for $10

I don't know if anybody else has been looking at these for a way to keep a light in a car or something without having to worry if the battery will be dead the one time every couple years you need it. I have been looking at them and when Home Depot had an add in the local newspaper at 3 for $10 I picked up a couple packs. 30 seconds winding is supposed to give you 30 minutes of light. I did not check that out but they seem to work fine.

Jim
  • ryan.s
    • Feb 2006
    • So Cal
    • Ridgid TS3650

What brand are they?

Never mind, found it in the weekly ad online. Seems like a great deal for something to throw in the cars and not to have to worry about batteries. Thanks for the tip!
    Last edited by ryan.s; 12-20-2007, 07:11 PM.

Comment

• Cheeky
      • Nov 2006
      • westchester cty, new york
      • Ridgid TS2400LS

do they give-off decent light?
      Pete

Comment

• Stormbringer
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2005
        • Floral Park, NY
        • Bosch 4000

Originally posted by Cheeky
        do they give-off decent light?
        The ones I've had did...not on par with a maglite but definitely better than nothing in a pinch.

The two I've had (from Costco not Husky brand) crapped out after a few months. They just wouldn't hold a charge no matter how much I wound them. For $10 I'll give these a shot but the 30 seconds of winding for 30 minute of light is a stretch. The bulb just gradually gets dim....so, technically, maybe after 30 minutes the bulb might still emit 1/300th of a candlewatt.
        Last edited by Stormbringer; 12-20-2007, 07:30 PM.

Comment

• jgscott987
          Established Member
          • Sep 2004
          • Greensboro, NC, USA.
          • BT3100 +

I've had pretty bad luck with these things. I've tried several models and found that they lost most of their brightness after a minute or two, no matter how much you crank them.

I can just imagine the cussing I'd do if I was stranded on a country road trying to fix my car and every 20 seconds I had to stop and crank up the flashlight . I'm certain I would break the crank off, and they heave the flashlight in the woods. Maybe it's just me .

I just keep some good quality 2-D flashlights in my cars, and replace the batteries once a year. Not too much trouble. I guess it wouldn't hurt to have a crank-up light along with the flashlight, but seems like overkill.

Comment

• themachine
            Established Member
            • Jan 2006
            • Cincinnati, OH
            • BT3100, General Intl. 220

I read somewhere that in order for these to last over time, you must remember to crank them up occasionally, whether you use them or not. For some reason the capacitor or battery in them suffers from lack of any charge whatsoever.

Comment

• JimD
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2003
              • Lexington, SC.

I tried the 30 seconds for 30 mintues claim and my units actually exceeded it. I got close to an hour for 40 cranks (close to 30 seconds). I then cranked one of them again and left it overnight and it would still light in the morning. I just tried it again and it will still light up nearly 24 hours after I cranked it. I hope they hold up but they are better than I expected for now.

Five of 6 I got work well but one only lights only 2 of 3 leds. It still gives off pretty good light, however. I used it to check on the cat last night instead of turning on the lights in the basement (finished) where the cat lives. It was plenty of light to see where you are going.

They are Husky brand and the package says they have a lifetime warranty. I guess I should take the one back.

I have better flashlights but I got these to go in the cars - where they seldom get used but can be pretty important to have occasionally (and that's when I would worry about the batteries).

Jim

Comment

• tsbrewers
                Established Member
                • Mar 2006

Is it just me or does everyone else have 50+ flashlights? I have everything from the mini single LED ones, to probably 6 or 7 mag lights. Bunch of dewalt ones, few panasonic ones. Just got a rechargable maglight for christmas, also got the bosch impactor that included a "free" flashlight with it. Have a few that turn on when the power in the house goes out, heck, I probably have 15 or 20 of the small led ones Home Depot has "5 for $10" every christmas. I also got one of the wind up ones this year as a stocking stuffer (as did my wife). I am buried in Flashlights right now.

Brew

Comment

• mac_daddy
                  Forum Newbie
                  • May 2006
                  • Sugar Land, TX
                  • BT3000

I need my flashlights to find my other flashlights hiding under the bed, back of drawers, and the ones behind my workbench.

Comment

• ryan.s
                    • Feb 2006
                    • So Cal
                    • Ridgid TS3650

So I picked up a set of these and ended up exchanging them because one of the three didn't work. Before I brought home the second set I made sure all three worked since you can try them through the blister pack. Got em home and again one of the three is no longer turning on even after cranking it. I'll give it one more shot and try for an exchange again. Makes me wonder about the QC on these flashlights.

Comment

• RagerXS
                      • Feb 2003
                      • Brookline, NH, USA.

QC? Clearance pricing is one thing, but at 3 for $10 advertised I wouldn't expect ANY QC...

~ Fred

Comment

• ryan.s
                        • Feb 2006
                        • So Cal
                        • Ridgid TS3650

Originally posted by RagerXS
                        QC? Clearance pricing is one thing, but at 3 for $10 advertised I wouldn't expect ANY QC...

~ Fred
                        I figure even though they're 3 for 10 bucks if they carry a 'life time warranty' there's gotta be some QC?

Comment

Working...