• Show
Clear All
  • bigdaddyjohn
    Established Member
    • Jan 2006
    • Fort Wayne, IN.
    • Jet 10" Contractor

Hitachi DS18DFL 18 Volt Li-Ion Drill Kit

Haven't tried it enough for a full review but I picked up the 18 volt Lithium-Ion 1/2" drill cordless drill last night for $107.10, after the 10 percent moving discount. Normally, $179. The current sale price is $119 . I found the price on the website after entering my zip code. Website says "Reflects Local Discount". However, at the store, there was not a "Sale or Discount" label. Instead, there was a regular printed label that said $119.

Going out of town for a few hours but if needed, I can post the receipt. However, it doesn't list the sale price, only the $107.10

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...DFL&lpage=none

In order to get the sale price to display, I had to enter my zip code for my local store. 46835 Try it. Then enter your zip code to see if it's a local price for you also. However, you maybe able to purchase online at the sale price and pick up at your local store. Lots of options here.

The first thing I notice with this drill the difference in color of the spider man web grips. I had come to like the green version on the NiCad drill. With the new Lithium-Ion, it now is a gold color. Also, the texture of the grip on the green one is rubbery where as the gold is more of a denser, plastic feel. It doesn't come with a light but rather, a mp3/fm radio player that connects directly to a usb port. Not bad. Would rather have the light that comes with the green NiCad kit.

The website says it can be recharged 1500 times versus 500 with a NiCad pack. Not sure if this is just hype or not. It has two batteries and the charge time is 30 minutes. The keyless chuck seems cheap but I can live with it as long as it works. Incidentally, there doesn't seem to be any noticeable runout but I don't have a drill rod to take precise measurements.

Please post your results. Hopefully this will be a successful find, much like my DeWalt ROS several months ago.
    Last edited by bigdaddyjohn; 11-29-2007, 09:49 AM.
  • bigdaddyjohn
    Established Member
    • Jan 2006
    • Fort Wayne, IN.
    • Jet 10" Contractor

No replies?

Wow, first time I've had no replies to a bargain alert. Did I buy a lemon? Must not have been that good of a deal.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2005
      • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by bigdaddyjohn
      Wow, first time I've had no replies to a bargain alert. Did I buy a lemon? Must not have been that good of a deal.
      Certainly not a lemon and is definately a great deal. Anyone needing a drill/driver should definately take a look at this excellent value.

I guess there is just not a lot to be said other than go buy it.

Comment

• RagerXS
        • Feb 2003
        • Brookline, NH, USA.

What would make this one better than the Ryobi 18V Li Ion?

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2005
          • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by RagerXS
          What would make this one better than the Ryobi 18V Li Ion?
          Ryobi doesn't make the best tools in the world (other than the BT3 of course). Having said that (at my own peril) a lot of folks on this forum use the Ryobi OnePlus system.

Comment

• RagerXS
            • Feb 2003
            • Brookline, NH, USA.

I understand Ryobi isn't the best -- I just happen to find many Ryobi tools to be the most cost-effective. Surely Hitachi isn't making the best tools out there either, but most of us don't need the best nor are we willing to pay the premium to get the best (most often that would be Festool I think).

So going back to my question, reworded even, what is better about this Hitachi than the new Ryobi Li-Ion 18V drill/driver?

~ Fred

Comment

• bigdaddyjohn
              Established Member
              • Jan 2006
              • Fort Wayne, IN.
              • Jet 10" Contractor

Weight, fit, finish, the price I paid. However, there's not the use of one battery on multiple tools. I don't have the use for a power caulker, detail sander, radio, flashlight, etc. JMHO

I simply couldn't purchase a Ryobi at that price.

Comment

Working...