• Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Lowes Flourescent Bulbs - Buy 1 Get 1 Free

4 pack of 60W equivalent (13W) Bright Effects flourescent bulbs at Lowes. Buy one get one free. They usually have this deal as a rebate but this time it is instant savings.

I've slowly been replacing our incandescents as they burn out. LOML intially said she didn't like flourescents but hasn't noticed yet.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • linear
    • May 2004
    • DeSoto, KS, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3100

Just a note on CFL replacement bulbs--they won't perform well in certain situations. Avoid putting them into:

* Bathrooms--humidity adversely affects them
    * Fixtures with dimmers--most aren't dimmer-friendly unless labeled accordingly
    * Enclosed housings--heat doesn't harm incandescents at all but can cause CFLs to fail
    * Infrequent use situations--the cost savings takes several thousand hours use to overcome the purchase price (although we can debate it with freebies)

I'm pretty happy with mine (I have over a dozen in use) but I've been careful to put them in where they make sense and avoid where they don't. I've had some early failures (still got >1000 hours though) in some pendant lights over my kitchen counter. They run hot.

And remember to recycle rather than discard failed bulbs.
    --Rob

sigpic

Comment

• Coolmeadow Creations
      Forum Newbie
      • Sep 2006
      • Fort Worth area

About a month ago, I noticed that HD had lowered the price on their 4 packs of 60 watt flourescents to 3.97, from 7.97. I bought a couple packs. I've put 3 of them in recessed cans as the incadescents burn out, which is pretty quick in these fixtures. So far so good. Jim.

Comment

• mpc
        • Feb 2005
        • Cypress, CA, USA.
        • BT3000 orig 13amp model

I bought some of the HD ones months ago based on a previous Bargain Alert. They're in the hallway light and over the kitchen sink... in frosted glass globes with little airflow. Didn't know about the heat issue... I expected flourescent bulbs to make less heat - after all, that's what makes regular incandescent bulbs so inefficient. So far they flours. have survived. However, they really screw up colors. Some of the house decorations and fabric are quite different shadings now, some look horrible. One dishrag went from brown to a grey-brown yuk. Maybe that's why HD was clearancing that brand - hopefully the current generation is a better color temperature.

mpc

Comment

• Cheeky
          • Nov 2006
          • westchester cty, new york
          • Ridgid TS2400LS

Originally posted by mpc
          I bought some of the HD ones months ago based on a previous Bargain Alert. They're in the hallway light and over the kitchen sink... in frosted glass globes with little airflow. Didn't know about the heat issue... I expected flourescent bulbs to make less heat - after all, that's what makes regular incandescent bulbs so inefficient. So far they flours. have survived. However, they really screw up colors. Some of the house decorations and fabric are quite different shadings now, some look horrible. One dishrag went from brown to a grey-brown yuk. Maybe that's why HD was clearancing that brand - hopefully the current generation is a better color temperature.

mpc
          what brand are they? personally, i've noticed a big difference between name brands like Philips and GE. previously had a bulb from Ikea, and a no name from HD....the name brands are much better quality.

side note: just remember to dispose of them properly, please don't just chuck em in the garbage
          Pete

Comment

• tsbrewers
            Established Member
            • Mar 2006

I too have 15 or so in the house so far, but just a note though. The HD ones that are 6 for $10 or whatever, are pretty much junk. I had 2 burn out within months, and when I did a search online this is very common.

I have had much better luck buying them at Sam's.

Brew

Comment

• Stormbringer
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2005
              • Floral Park, NY
              • Bosch 4000

Don't know if it's local or not but Costco has huge markdowns on these for some time now. All are about 70% off their regular prices (about 80% off HD and Lowes prices) Part of an energy saving promotion. I bought a bunch of 65watt floods for the 20 recessed cans that are part of the basement remodel, some 120 Watt for the kitchen cans, and some outdoor floods for landscape lighting. The brand is "Feit" and I have no compalints. I've had six 100 watt spirals in the living room recessed lights for two years now w/o issue. I just could'n stand the amount of heat incandescents give off (besides the amount of juice they use).

10pk 60 watt spiral (uses 13watts) $3.59

6pk 100 watt spiral (uses 23watts) $5.59

6pk 65 watt indoor flood (uses 13 watts) $2.95

4pk 120 watt outdoor flood (uses 25 watts) $6.59

4pk 120 watt indoor flood (uses 25 watts) $7.59
              Last edited by Stormbringer; 11-04-2007, 08:31 AM.

Comment

• kmk
                Established Member
                • Jan 2006
                • .Portland, Oregon
                • BT3100-1

At Ace Hardware, these are 99c each...

Comment

• ironhat
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2004
                  • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                  • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

I've been hearing about the proper disposal of these lights due to the mercury content but I have yet to see a disposal receptical. Am I missing something at Lowes or HD? I'm feeling a bit stupid about this although, I can't say that I've been looking for a receptical. I ignorantly threw the first two into the trash before I heard/ read of this.
                  TIA!
                  Blessings,
                  Chiz

Comment

• TimT
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Feb 2003
                    • Lapeer, MI, USA.

Thanks for the tips, guys. I've been meaning to head to costco for those bulbs anyway, as Consumers Reports lists them as being better priced. Their being on sale makes it all the more reason to get to costco. I have about 25 floods I'd like to convert to cfl.

Comment

• dbarnett
                      Established Member
                      • Aug 2004
                      • San Diego
                      • JET-10CW2-PF 10 Contractor-Style Tablesaw

I just bought the 4 pack 23 watt CFL Indoor floods and..

I just bought the 4 pack 23 watt CFL Indoor floods and they are brighter than the incandesant. I will be buying 2 more packs in the near future.

Comment

• mark-yo
                        Forum Newbie
                        • May 2005
                        • La Mirada, CA.

Cheap at Ganahl Lumber

Hi. If you live near Ganahl Lumber, they often have CFLs on sale at 20 cents each. Yes, 20 cents each. Here in Southern Calif, the cost is subsidized by Southern Calif Edison. They're no-name brands, but they work fine. The ones I have are quite bright, and coloring may be 'off' for your taste, as others have mentioned. I heard they contain small amounts of hazardous materials (mercury perhaps), so be very careful w/ handling and disposal if you happen to break one. And, yes, please dispose of properly. M.

Comment

• TimT
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Feb 2003
                          • Lapeer, MI, USA.

Our costco didn't have a sale. Bottom line, the indoor flood was going to be 2.29 each for Sylvania and 3.03 each for Feit. I'm headed to Lowes. I finally got around to counting how many I actually need..... 44.

Comment

Working...