• Show
Clear All
  • themachine
    Established Member
    • Jan 2006
    • Cincinnati, OH
    • BT3100, General Intl. 220

Bostitch 23 Guage Pin Nailer $79

Fairly well regarded Bostitch HP118K 1/2-Inch to 1-3/16-Inch 23 Gauge Pin Nailer on Amazon's Friday sale for $79 with free shipping.
    http://www.amazon.com/Bostitch-HP118...pf_rd_i=548166
  • acrollet

normal price $125

I just pulled the trigger - was looking at 23 gauge nailers last night, and they were just over my 'can't afford it' threshold. Some people mention problems with the nails setting below the surface, but one guy said he filed down the nose a little, and now they set perfectly. worth keeping in mind, I guess.

Comment

• Alex Franke
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2007
      • Chapel Hill, NC
      • Ryobi BT3100

Per the Amazon reviews, there seem to be problems with this nailer actually countersinking the pins.

Does anyone have any experience with it?
      online at http://www.theFrankes.com
      while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
      "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• Scottydont
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Edmonds, WA, USA.
        • Delta Industrial Hybrid

Just ordered one. It's gotta work better than my Harbor Freight one!
        Scott
        "The Laminate Flooring Benchtop Guy"

Edmonds WA

No coffee, no worky!

Comment

• JimD
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2003
          • Lexington, SC.

I have one of these pin nailers. I paid a lot more than $79 and consider it well worth it. It sets nails well. It has an adjustment on the gun as well as the normal setting of the air pressure. It will drive 1 inch pins through aluminum and into hardwood setting them below the surface. I do not have the air pressure higher than I ususally run it either.

Jim

Comment

• final_t
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2003

Originally posted by Alex Franke
            Per the Amazon reviews, there seem to be problems with this nailer actually countersinking the pins.

Does anyone have any experience with it?
            Like JimD, also paid more, and it's pretty nice. As for sinking below the surface, it depends on the material - generally, no, but on occasion, yes, esp. when I'm not pushing the hard metal nose firmly to make sure it's sinked down. So either maybe damage the wood or else maybe not sink all the way.
            I've NEVER had this thing jam, but I always use porter-cable nails (get them at woodcraft when they have the 15% brown bag sale).

For $79, this is a great deal on a good unit for someone who has been thinking about getting one.

Comment

• Alex Franke
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2007
              • Chapel Hill, NC
              • Ryobi BT3100

I went ahead and picked this one up. It sounds like some work well and some not so well, but I guess I'll take my chances. I suppose I can always return it if it doesn't sing the pins...

Thanks, all, for your input!
              online at http://www.theFrankes.com
              while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
              "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2005
                • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by Scottydont
                It's gotta work better than my Harbor Freight one!
                I have the HF unit as well and it stinks! Tests ok in poplar, but bends pins in walnut and harder woods. I have really like the HF framing nailer but this one is a bust.

Comment

Working...