X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • professorkev
    Forum Newbie
    • Sep 2007

I got a sears Tables saw for $258

I bought the sears portable Table saw, you know the red 10" one like the bt3 for $258. Being a first saw beginner woodworker, should I keep it or go after the new Bosch 4100 with the new riving knife on it? WOuld it be safer to use than the sears model? any thoughts?
  • dkerfoot
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2004
    • Holland, Michigan
    • Craftsman 21829

Assuming you mean the 21829, it is a great saw. Use it!

If at some point you need capabilities it doesn't have, THEN consider getting a different saw.

Not only is the 21829 a great saw, it is also quite safe if you educate yourself before using it (same with any saw)

Make sure you understand kickback.

-Doug
    Doug Kerfoot
    "Sacrificial fence? Aren't they all?"

Smaller, Smarter Hardware Keyloggers
    "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
    KeyLlama.com

Comment

• sparkeyjames
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Redford MI.
      • Craftsman 21829

You got a great deal on that saw. It is very capable. I have one myself. Just read everything you can find about safe operation of table saws. Follow the manual carefully on setup and adjustment. If you have any problems with setting it up and adjusting it post here we'll be glad to help. Also replace the cheap crap blade that came with the saw with a better one (or two).
      Last edited by sparkeyjames; 09-06-2007, 06:10 AM.

Comment

• cgallery
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2004
        • Milwaukee, WI
        • BT3K

I've often thought of getting one of the Bosch 4100's. If for no other reason, just to try something new.

My problem is that I can't really "do" a cabinet saw or even a hybrid. Just no good way to get it into the basement. Plus, I don't think I want to give up the riving knife or the 2.5" shop vac ports, as that would trigger having to go to a real dust collector.

So my options in terms of what table saws I could get are pretty limited. I like the Bosch, but I like the flexibility of the BT3000 series of saws. I have my router table built into the saw, which is a considerable space savings. I think this would be harder to do with the Bosch.

If I were you, I'd hang onto the Sears saw.

Comment

• JaiPea
          Forum Newbie
          • Feb 2006

What were the circumstances?

Never seen anything like that locally, so any tips on how to buy the 21829 at such a price would be appreciated.

Comment

• Knottscott
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2004
            • Rochester, NY.
            • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Going to a bigger saw might have some merit if you have a need, but I see little gained by switching to the Bosch.
            Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• williwatt
              Established Member
              • Aug 2007
              • Springfield, TN
              • Sears 21829

Originally posted by professorkev
              I bought the sears portable Table saw, you know the red 10" one like the bt3 for $258. Being a first saw beginner woodworker, should I keep it or go after the new Bosch 4100 with the new riving knife on it? WOuld it be safer to use than the sears model? any thoughts?
              From the description it sounds like you bought a Sears model 21806 which is like the Ryobi BTS20 or BTS21. It is currently listed on Sears.com at $256.49
              The Sears 21829 which is like the BT3100 is on sale in the Craftsman Club Sept flyer at $359.99

Comment

• professorkev
                Forum Newbie
                • Sep 2007

Hi! I got the 21829 saw. Still ahve to pick it up. Bought it 2 weeks ago for a sale of $349, also had a 10% bonus sale plus a 15% off for some email things, Plus I got anothe 10%rebate form a online link.

Yeah the Bosch may be overkill. I heard/read to replace the blade, which I was going to. I take it people take off that plastic covering/guard over the blade? or not?

I'll check back in over the weekend.

Comment

• bthere
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Alpharetta, GA

Originally posted by professorkev
                  I heard/read to replace the blade, which I was going to. I take it people take off that plastic covering/guard over the blade? or not?

I'll check back in over the weekend.

I have the 21829 saw and it does an excellent job. Keep the blade guard on for any operation where it can be left on. You may want to look at a Shark Guard which most people agree is one of the best aftermarket guards. If you haven't done so, I think it would be worthwhile to get a book on table saws and read about safety procedures and proper use. Kelly Mehler's The Table Saw Book is a pretty good one. In addition, you should PM Loring (username LCHIEN) with your email address and request he send you the FAQ for the BT3 saws.

Comment

• dkerfoot
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 2004
                    • Holland, Michigan
                    • Craftsman 21829

You got an amazing price - $329 is the best I have ever seen

The factory blade guard is actually a pretty decent one. Mine has never come off because I use a router for all non-through cuts. I did duct-tape the pawls to keep them from scratching. I'll probably eventually get a shark guard, but that will just be because I feel like buying something - not because I see it as a real need.

I'd leave the factory blade on it until it needs to be sharpened. It ain't a WWII, but it isn't a piece of junk either. If you are a beginning woodworker, the blade will not be the limiting factor for quite a while. At least wait until it needs to be cleaned. : )
                    Doug Kerfoot
                    "Sacrificial fence? Aren't they all?"

Smaller, Smarter Hardware Keyloggers
                    "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
                    KeyLlama.com

Comment

• eezlock
                      • Feb 2006
                      • Charlotte,N.C.
                      • BT3100

sears tablesaw

Sounds like you have the 21829 sears saw, a clone of the BT3100. If that is the one, you have it is a darn good saw for the money. I would recommend
                      that you buy one of the Sharkgards and splitter/ riving knife combos from Lee Styron, a big upgrade in safety and conveneince for the user. It makes
                      a lot of difference when you need to remove the blade guard for those
                      non thru cuts. A lot of people on this forum have one and really like it, I do!
                      eezlock

Comment

• professorkev
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Sep 2007

Gee, thanks for warning me you guys!!!!! Picked it up and the box was the size of a fridge! Nayway it's home and I'll unbox it over the weekend.

Oh by the way, the deal I got with all those discounts, well I had to really work it though, in the end it all came together.

Comment

• Larry David
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Jan 2006
                          • Maryland.

Best deal!

My local Sears was having their "Crazy Sale Weekend" sale. I just brought home a Sears 21829 tonight and I only paid $129 and I got a free 3 year protection plan and a free extra blade. And you thought you got a great deal...

Comment

• tedkitch
                            • Jul 2006
                            • NE Suburbs, Chicago
                            • Ryobi BT3100 What else is there?

Originally posted by Larry David
                            My local Sears was having their "Crazy Sale Weekend" sale. I just brought home a Sears 21829 tonight and I only paid $129 and I got a free 3 year protection plan and a free extra blade. And you thought you got a great deal...
                            Can you post a receipt?
                            Ted Kitch

Comment

• professorkev
                              Forum Newbie
                              • Sep 2007

please tell us more how you got a deal like this on the saw...was it used, return new? receipt?

Comment

Working...