X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • profx
    Established Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Twin Cites, MN

Delta 36-731 10" Right Tilt 3HP Cabinet Saw with 50" Unifence 230V 1P - $900

Amazon's Friday sale:

http://www.amazon.com/Delta-36-731-H...dp/B0000EI96K/

$752.72 + $149 shipping
  • coach
    Established Member
    • Jan 2005
    • Forney, TX.
    • Powermatic 66

This is NOT a unisaw. I advise anyone considering this saw to do your homework. It is a very capable saw, but it is not a Uni. Buyer beware.
    If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

• davidtu
      • Apr 2006
      • Seattle, WA
      • BT3100

What is the difference bet. this and the Unisaw?
      Never met a bargain I didn't like.

Comment

• Andrew Benedetto
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2003
        • SoCal, USA
        • Unisaw w. 52"Bies,22124CM & BT3K

A lot. TP design makes it impossible to make ZCTP, depth of cut is 3", you have to change the arbor to do dado cuts and has 2 bearings not 3 on arbor shaft,the trunion design is not the same as a Unisaw and is a lighter casting, the cab size is odd as no Delta base fits. About 2 years ago Rockler had this saw for that price and I bought a 22124 instead. The Unifence is excellent though. I also was lucky to be able to buy the $900 Unisaw/Unifence 30" from amazon. WWS has the same saw in green/yellow trim.
        Here is a Unisaw inside pic. from WNF showing that it is a well made saw, better design and contruction than this saw , never read of anyone actually buying one. The Unisaw is not as good as a PM66 but for most users more than enough saw.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Andrew Benedetto; 08-11-2007, 08:11 PM.
        Andrew

Comment

• garymuto
          Established Member
          • Aug 2007
          • Encinitas, CA
          • Delta Cabinet Saw

I have this saw. I was able to make ZCTPs for it, but used stabilizing shims on the blade to bias it towasrd the center of the TP. It works well.
          I haven't tried to Dado though. Why would Delta make a 3HP saw that can't dado out of the box? Do you know any details about the replacement Arbor? Specifically, I'm wondering if I replace it, if it can be used for general purpose cuttign as well. I saw no reference to this in my owners manual or on the Delta Website.

Comment

• Andrew Benedetto
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2003
            • SoCal, USA

Originally posted by garymuto
            I have this saw. I was able to make ZCTPs for it, but used stabilizing shims on the blade to bias it towasrd the center of the TP. It works well.
            I haven't tried to Dado though. Why would Delta make a 3HP saw that can't dado out of the box? Do you know any details about the replacement Arbor? Specifically, I'm wondering if I replace it, if it can be used for general purpose cuttign as well. I saw no reference to this in my owners manual or on the Delta Website.
            DADO INSERT 5140047-45; notes"spindle,optional"
            http://www.dewaltservicenet.com/ServiceNet/Catalog/Detail.asp?State=2&intDID=W8B658555553100&ModelNum =36%2D731&Type=1
            I think b/c they say to remove the outer flange w. dado blades you can cut up to 13/16" with the regular spindle,this is like a contractor's saw and you can not use a SD708 type dado unless you change the spindle to a longer one. Most true cab saws, Uni.,PM66,Jet,General,Grizz 1023 have longer, fixed spindles. the Rockler saw I looked at was the same and the sales person said most buyers were ordrering the part. I prefer the regular style TP's and a longer arbor fixed as on my Unisaw. I do not want to shim my blades and have issues w. the scale on the rip fence as well as keep changing arbors back and forth. I like the accuracy of the Commercial Bies. and use the scale unlike my BT3K's.
            Last edited by Andrew Benedetto; 08-22-2007, 02:01 PM.
            Andrew

Comment

• garymuto
              Established Member
              • Aug 2007
              • Encinitas, CA
              • Delta Cabinet Saw

I read that and checked the manual for the unisaw which said that the outer flange had to be removed for Dado operations as well so I stopped my research thinking it was the same. Closer inspection shows that the 36-731 has an arbor adapter which is likely the optional spindle. It seems ridiculous that a 3 HP saw has to be modified to dado. Lesson learned. I do really like the saw. I had a 3HP 3 pahse unisaw, but sold it when I moved and other tahtn the throat plate, this saw seemed similar with a different cabinet, motor cover, adjustmetn wheels and blade guard.
              I like the Unisaw TP better too, but I had no trouble with mine. Shimming the blade 1/8" was within the adjustment of the fence indicator so that still works too.
              Had I known, I probably would still have bought this saw since I do very little dadoing. What is an SD70 type?

Comment

• Andrew Benedetto
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2003
                • SoCal, USA

The sd708 is an adjustable dado, no shims needed.I think that the spindle maybe that way to sell in the EU as dado cuts are not done on a TS. They some how think they are too dangerous.
                Andrew

Comment

• garymuto
                  Established Member
                  • Aug 2007
                  • Encinitas, CA
                  • Delta Cabinet Saw

That makes sense, regarding EU sales. I looked at the saw last night and it will accept my stacked and adjustable dados. I' don't like teh dado ridng on the threaded part of the though.
                  I think I'll look into getting the optional spindle. It appears to attach to the end of the arbor, so it could be a relatively easy change. If the longer spindle can be left on for all operations and helps to center the blade in the TP, all the better.

I appreciate your insight and help.
                  Gary

Comment

• Andrew Benedetto
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 2003
                    • SoCal, USA

Glad to help, I thought the same thing ,maybe the longer arbor could be left on but you may have to make TP's as the metal stock might not line up one but you are able to do that and then the right side issue of the TP will be more like Delta type , I guess it depends on the inner flange position.
                    Andrew

Comment

• garymuto
                      Established Member
                      • Aug 2007
                      • Encinitas, CA
                      • Delta Cabinet Saw

I've got coupon for $10 off at rockler if I spend $30 so I am going to see if I can order the spindle through them. It's worth a few bucks to avoid a problem with the spindle adapter/arbor threads. Otherwise, I'll have to go through Delta.

Comment

Working...