• Show
Clear All
  • theminor
    Established Member
    • Jun 2006
    • Dalton, GA
    • BT3100

Harbor Freight HVLP Sprayer (same as Rockler) $60

The HF HVLP Sprayer is on sale again with a coupon bringing the price down to $59.99. This is a great little spray gun and it is exactly the same as the Rockler model at http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?Offerings_ID=10469

Here is a link to the coupon for the HF model: http://www.harborfreightusa.com/html...5/images/3.gif
    Last edited by theminor; 07-10-2007, 08:41 AM.
    My Site
  • gary
    • May 2004
    • Versailles, KY, USA.

this HF link shows an anvil LOL
    Gary

Comment

• jwaterdawg
      • Aug 2005
      • Washington, NC USA
      • JET

I think he meant

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/html...5/images/3.gif

although there has been plenty of times I've wanted to take one of my finished pieces to the anvil and pound the snot out of it.
      Don't be stupid, the universe is watching.

Comment

• greencat
        Established Member
        • Dec 2005
        • Grand Haven Mi

I saw this also and I'm finally going to get it. I think I will try this on some interior doors I need to paint. Anyone know how much to cut latex paint before you spray it? Do I use a cup and timer to figure this out?
        Thanks again,
        Mike

Comment

• Thom2
          Resident BT3Central Research Ass.
          • Jan 2003
          • Stevens, PA, USA.
          • Craftsman 22124

Originally posted by gary
          That's the model for flat paint
          If it ain't broke.. don't fix it!!!... but you can always 'hop it up'
          **one and only purchaser of a BT3C official thong**

Comment

• theminor
            Established Member
            • Jun 2006
            • Dalton, GA
            • BT3100

That's the model for flat paint
            Ok, Ok! I edited and fixed the link!
            My Site

Comment

• BadeMillsap
              • Dec 2005
              • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
              • Grizzly G1023SL

Latex and thinning

Greencat ... I bought this setup from HF a month or so ago (on sale) ... and I have to say that if you find instructions about how much to thin you are a better man than I ... there IS a "cup" but my kit had nothing about time values ... I poked around the net and found what MIGHT ... MIGHT be an indication that 20 seconds thru the cup was adequate thinning ...

So far I have had mixed results with the rig ... I sprayed some unthinned oil based poly thru the largest diameter nozzle and it was not a big success ... I sprayed some unthinned oil based exterior primer thru it and it was "OK" .....

So if you or anyone actually comes up with definitive thinning information specifically for latex (or anything else) I'd like to hear.

Bade
              "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
              Bade Millsap
              Bulverde, Texas
              => Bade's Personal Web Log
              => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• DonHo
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2004
                • Shawnee, OK, USA.
                • Craftsman 21829

Here's a link to the manual for the Rockler HVLP (same unit) that has some info on thining.

http://images.rockler.com/tech/RTD10000042AA.pdf

BTW, I have the HF unit. I've only used it a couple of time but have had good success with it.
                DonHo
                Last edited by DonHo; 07-10-2007, 10:51 AM.
                Don

Comment

• footprintsinconc
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2006
                  • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
                  • BT3100

I am interested in the is gun aswell and would definately benefit from all that have used this if they could give some detail on what kind of paint/finish they have used with this gun and how much have they thinned the paint/finish.

Not to high jack this thread, I have bought this set: http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...&%20AIR%20BRUS
                  and have had mixed results with various thinning applications of oil based polyurethane on mdf and pine. not really satisfied with the finishing results. I was thinking of starting a thread about this a couple of weeks ago, but now I will wait and see what kind of information gets posted here.

thanks

Comment

• jlm
                    Established Member
                    • Oct 2005
                    • Austin, TX

I've used this sprayer for latex paint a couple times now, and it works reasonably well, better than the Wagner buzzguns I've used. You have to thin the paint quite a bit (some brands more than others), so I've gotten the best results from several very light coats, since the thin paint will run and drip very easily if the coat is too thick.

The sprayer comes with a viscosity cup, and I've found that if I thin the paint with Floetrol or Wagner paint conditioner (both available at Home Depot/Lowe's) until it empties the cup in 15 seconds or so, I can get good results with the largest nozzle. It takes some fiddling and practice, though. This isn't a $400 HVLP setup. It's a shop vac blower motor and a paint gun.

But for $60, I'd gladly buy it again for the uses I've put it through. I haven't used it on poly or other more "traditional" woodworking finishes, so I can't speak to that. But this is certainly less messy and produces at least as good results as a comparably-priced airless buzzgun-type sprayer. I'm not going to paint a car with it, but I'll gladly use it to splatter some paint on a brick wall or two.

Comment

• mschrank
                      Veteran Member
                      • Oct 2004
                      • Hood River, OR, USA.
                      • BT3000

I've only used it with Hydrocote Resisthane (water based poly). No thinning required, and the results were fantastic. I sprayed 3 coats on both sides of 6 interior doors. The time I saved over hand brushing or even wiping more than covered the $60 I paid for it.

There's not a lot of adjustment available on the unit (which makes it good for a beginning spayer like me), but it's worth spending a few sprays on a piece of cardboard to get the flow right. Either the HF or Rockler manual describes what the "test spot" should look like when properly adjusted.

I'll be trying some Varathane oil poly next. Based on the relatively small amount of overspray with the Resisthane, I don't think it'll be too messy.
                      Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws

Comment

• Uncle Hook
                        Established Member
                        • Apr 2005
                        • Mountain Lakes, New Jersey, USA.

Does anyone know wheter HVLP sprayers like this work better than spray gun attachments for compressed air systems?

Comment

• theminor
                          Established Member
                          • Jun 2006
                          • Dalton, GA
                          • BT3100

Does anyone know wheter HVLP sprayers like this work better than spray gun attachments for compressed air systems?
                          Yes - much better. The attachment to your compressor will not be HVLP and therefore there will be much more overspray (wasted material, much more messy).
                          My Site

Comment

• profx
                            Established Member
                            • Apr 2007
                            • Twin Cites, MN

Amazon had the Wanger 2900 for $88 (link below) two days ago. My brother got one, but I missed the deal. I wish I could have gotten in.

http://www.amazon.com/Wagner-Product...dp/B0000223PB/
                            Last edited by profx; 08-02-2007, 11:40 AM.

Comment

• crazypup
                              Forum Newbie
                              • May 2007

Those *******s denied mine! Used the incorrect price excuse. Glad for your brother though.

Comment

Working...