• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GaryA
    Established Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Tampa, FL, USA.

$65 Framing Nailer?

Would this be a bad idea...even if for occasional use (i.e. safety?) I can count the times I've needed a framing nailer...but it happens. What do you guys think of this?

http://www.amazon.com/AIR-FRAMING-NA...176422&sr=8-12
    Gary
  • p8ntblr
    • Jan 2007
    • So Cal
    • Craftsman 22114

I think it's ok deal, not great. HF has one for $77 and they often have a 15% off coupon for any one item. I'm no contractor but I have a framing nailer as well. I built a nice little storage shed and I can't tell you how much faster it was with a framing nailer. I think if it's in the budget I would get one.

As for safety, it's just like any other power tool. If you're careful with it, you should be fine. Just always be conscious of where you place your off hand (ie the one not pulling the trigger). There was a thread a while back regarding this. If it's an angled nailer make sure you feed the nails in the right direction. Also keep track of which way the exhaust port is pointed. No so dangerous but irritating to blow air at the pressure in your face. Keep the gun oiled and you should be good to go.
    -Paul

Comment

• brecklundin
      Forum Newbie
      • May 2007

Grizzly has a decent on for just $99. (http://www.grizzly.com/products/h7665) I am likely gonna order the Grizzly but will take a close look at this one now too. My needs are not much, Just a pergola-like cover over my deck & a carport cover this summer. So nothing really expensive/long term is needed.

Bummer is our local HD stopped renting tools so I have to buy something. I also read an idea on this board that it's a decent idea to buy a better tool for the times one might never need it again, then sell it on eBay or whatever when done with it. Seems to work out better then renting.

Comment

• dl2000
        Forum Newbie
        • Sep 2004
        • Tampa, FL, USA.

I would go with the Grizzly or HF. You are taking a big chance going mail order on a cheap nail gun. I noticed it's being sold through a third party.

If you get it and it leaks, it's going to be a pain to get replaced. At least if you go to HF and it leaks, you can take it back and get it replaced without a lot of headaches.
        I swear I measured it right this time.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2005
          • York, PA, USA.

I have used Stanley and HF framing nailers and they are a God send. HF worked just fine for around $60.

Comment

• movnup
            Established Member
            • Aug 2006
            • Seattle
            • BT3000

I ended up with the Northern Tools 3 way (21, 24, 31 degree ???) for $99 shipped after reading Black Walnuts review on the Griz. I used the Bostich last summer a lot and you can tell the difference but for the weekend warrior this one works well so far. It had great reviews from users so for the money I would say it's a good buy.

Comment

Working...