• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • burrellski
    Established Member
    • Dec 2005
    • Saint Joseph, MO.

Anyone been to a Grizzly Tent Sale????

The Springfield, MO Grizzly tent sale is this weekend. It's about a 3 hour drive for me, and I am in the market for a contractor style saw, but is it worth it. I know I've heard of people getting great deals there on higher priced stuff, but how much do they really take off of a $600-$700 saw? Aside from the fact that I just want to see the place, is it worth it?
  • jspelbring
    Established Member
    • Nov 2004
    • Belleville, IL, USA.
    • Craftsman 22114

GrizzTent

I'm thinking about going myself. I'm just across the river in Belleville, IL. There would have to be an absolutely fantastic deal to make up for the 3+ hours each way - not to mention the gas $$.
    To do is to be.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2005
      • Independence, MO, USA.
      • bt3100

I'd love to see it, but I've heard vary mixed things about it.

Last year, I believe the favorite quote was "they are really proud of their junk". The ones I heard from said anything that was cheap was beat up, anything that should have been a bargin, wasn't that great of one. He thought they were trying to make up for gas prices before billing their customers for them.

So if your selling your BT (saw on local Craigslist first), what are you using untill you get your new saw?
      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Knottscott
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2004
        • Rochester, NY.
        • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I've been to the PA tent sale twice. If you go with the intent to look around, have fun, and maybe get a bargain (maybe not), you'll have a great time. The crowds early on are awesome and the best bargains go fast. But they thin down just before lunch leaving the showroom and the show-like atmosphere to those who want to enjoy it. The showroom alone is worth the trip....it's a pilgrimage of sorts!

The price reductions are proportionate to the damage. Be aware that the tent merchandise is sold "as is", so factor the lack of warranty into whatever you're willing to pay.

The Griz contractor saw is very similar to the GI, Bridgewood, Jet, PM64a and several others, which are all well proven machines. That said, the contractor design itself has little to no advantage over the hybrid and cabinet saw design. The designs with internally mounted motors have better DC, take up less space, have more mass, and shorter drive belts...there's essentially no downside either, so I'd be keeping that thought in the back of my mind when you bargain hunt.
        Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• burrellski
          Established Member
          • Dec 2005
          • Saint Joseph, MO.

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
          So if your selling your BT (saw on local Craigslist first), what are you using untill you get your new saw?
          I'm finishing a project now, so the table saw has been turned off for a little while. The plan is to get a TS3650 for $450 after a 10% BORG coupon. $450 won't get me to a hybrid (local sears has none of the hybrid saws that occasionally are in that area), but I received an email about the tent sale and thought there might be something there. I guess it was wishful thinking. I really just wanted an excuse to go see the place.

Comment

• goslin23
            Established Member
            • Feb 2007
            • Richmond, TX
            • Rigid TS3650

The lifetime service warranty from Rigid might help you choose the TS3650, plus the standard 36" rip capacity. I just grabbed a ts3650 a few weeks ago and so far I'm loving it.

-=gos=-
            If it ain't one thing... It's 12 @#$%ing things!

Comment

• Lee4847
              Established Member
              • Feb 2006
              • Canton, Oh
              • BT3100

PA Sale

I went looking for a band Saw, Namely the G0555. There were three all with varing defects which are stated on the attached forms. I got there at 7:15 AM and I would say their was 300 people in line in front of me. Needless to say by the time I got to the BS's their was only one not taken. It had a cracked lower casting which I checked at the parts tent and it cost 122. All the BS's had 250 on them so that brought the cost to 372 with no warranty. They are on sale inside for 395.. So I ended getting the new one and saved on shipping cost.

Yes, it was very interesting walking through their showroom!
              Cut twice.... measure??

Comment

• ragswl4
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007
                • Winchester, Ca
                • C-Man 22114

Originally posted by burrellski
                I'm finishing a project now, so the table saw has been turned off for a little while. The plan is to get a TS3650 for $450 after a 10% BORG coupon. $450 won't get me to a hybrid (local sears has none of the hybrid saws that occasionally are in that area), but I received an email about the tent sale and thought there might be something there. I guess it was wishful thinking. I really just wanted an excuse to go see the place.
                We only live once. If I were within a days drive of one of their tent sales I'd be there.
                RAGS
                Raggy and Me in San Felipe
                sigpic

Comment

• scorrpio
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2005
                  • Wayne, NJ, USA.

I've been considering a visit to the PA store for a while - not necessarily tent sale. Probably specifically NOT during tent sale, since I dislike big crowds. But a 150+ miles one-way is not something I look forward to.
                  What I heard so far, those sales are not really worth it bargain-wise.

So if you want to treat it like an event visit, just go and don't expect any bargains.

I mean, case in point: G0555, I have one too, bought for 395 new with warranty. Shipping was $65, I think. I considered going personally, but factoring a 300+ gas mileage (roughly $45), and sales tax, shipping was the cheaper option - with added convenience of it being dropped off at my driveway and me not having to spend a whole day.

Comment

• billwmeyer
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2003
                    • Weir, Ks, USA.
                    • BT3000

I wish I could go, but I think I will have to work Saturday. They are closed on Sunday. I love the store. Watch out for wet spots on the floor from people drooling over the tools.
                    Bill
                    "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• wilderness1989

A good friend and I are going to the Springfield, MO one. We are leaving Friday and already have motel reservations. If we find no bargins that's OK. We'll look at it as a fun adventure....it's 5 hours down there for us.
                      Last edited by Guest; 06-21-2007, 12:05 AM.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2005
                        • York, PA, USA.

Tent deals are ok IF you get in there first and find the good deals. I have seen savings substantial enough to justify showing up. Shop Fox W1741 for $500 with cosmetic issues, etc. Also they tend to clear out new in the box merchandise that has been closed out.

As noted they have Summer sale going on right now. There is a few bucks off here and there. I was in Muncy PA today (or close enough to stop) and went by Grizzly. Got some 6" rolls of drum sander abrasives and amazingly a OSS followed me home. It is the small unit, they had 4-5 of them in the clearance area for $99.

I would like to thank Thom for reprimanding me for having such a cluttered shop and insisting I must buy smaller tools in the future. At 36 lbs this bench top OSS can easily be stored under a bench until needed.

Edit: Speaking of large items, they had that 12" Euro sliding saw on the floor. Holy smokes. What a machine! And that 12" jointer for $1595 . . . . what a deal!

Comment

• cobob
                          Established Member
                          • Jan 2004
                          • Rolla, MO, USA.
                          • BT3100

I went to the Spfld sale last year. Got there at 7AM and the line was around 2 sides of the (very large) building. People camp out all night to get to front. I was pretty unimpressed with the deals. Most of what I saw was closer to broken with parts missing than just scratched (lots of motor problems). The price was not amazingly low. If you have the time and shop to rehab the machine, the deals are there. (Amish folks seem to do most of the buying and were first in line). I'm debating going tomorrow and I'm 1.5 hrs away.

Basically, to get the great deal, you have to camp out at grizzly.

Comment

• wilderness1989

We went on Friday too look the place over and buy some things before the Saturday madhouse. The people that work there are nice and friendly. The all the pictures in the catalog of the showroom and warehouse must have been taken by a realtor but the place was really nice.
                            We got there a 6:00AM on Saturday and there must have been 500 people already in line ahead of us and by the time they opened the gates to the sale at 8:00AM there must have been another 500 behind us. One guy in line described it as an after Christmas sale for guys. There were alot of bargains and alot of "junk". I bought a hanging $200 air filter for $50 and a bunch of odds and ends outside. And I think the 2 of us bought about another $2000 worth of new stuff. We could have had everything shipped and not go to the sale for less money than we spent on the trip but Steve and I had a great time, good food, and another $400 for food gas and motel. We are going back next year.

Comment

Working...