• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lilmanajh
    Forum Newbie
    • May 2007

Amazon Promo Code

Am I a bad person?

I have bought 3 power tools recently...a Delta benchtop mortiser, the DW618B3 3 base Dewalt router kit, and a Dewalt plate jointer. On all of these items, I just sent a quick email asking for the 20OFFMAY coupon to be applied and IT WAS!!! I know it's not on the list of things that it applies to but I thought it was worth a shot - I guess you can do the same!
  • gwyneth
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2006
    • Bayfield Co., WI

Wow. You never know with them.

Thanks!

Comment

• newbie2wood
      Established Member
      • Apr 2004
      • NJ, USA.

Are you a bad person? No

However, a honest and ethical person would not knowingly take advantage of the situation, in this case the stupidity of Amazon's Customer Service who may have been trying to be helpful. You knew that you were not entitled to the discount.

I guess the person at the other end failed to check to see if the discount applies to your items and accepted your request for a refund on face value. Its similar to handing an expired coupon to an unsuspecting clerk at the supermarkets.

I am not sticking up for Amazon. I am only responding to your question.
      ________
      SIDE EFFECTS FROM PRILOSEC
      Last edited by newbie2wood; 09-15-2011, 05:50 AM.

Comment

• tfm37
        Forum Newbie
        • May 2005

They still made a profit on the deal.

Comment

• cgallery
          Veteran Member
          • Sep 2004
          • Milwaukee, WI
          • BT3K

Originally posted by newbie2wood
          However, a honest and ethical person would not knowingly take advantage of the situation, in this case the stupidity of Amazon's Customer Service who may have been trying to be helpful. You knew that you were not entitled to the discount.
          Perhaps they aren't being stupid but just want to accomodate a repeat customer's request. As a small business owner, customers that keep buying are welcome to ask for discounts that don't apply (and they more often than not get some sort of discount).

Comment

• davidtu
            • Apr 2006
            • Seattle, WA
            • BT3100

Originally posted by newbie2wood
            Are you a bad person? No

However, a honest and ethical person would not knowingly take advantage of the situation./.
            That's why I didn't bother to check on whether my stuff was eligible or not... I will let them figure it out. It's all computerized I would think, so the rules should be enforced correctly in any case.
            Never met a bargain I didn't like.

Comment

• Alex Franke
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2007
              • Chapel Hill, NC
              • Ryobi BT3100

There's nothing bad, dishonest, or unethical about asking a company, "Can I use this coupon for my order?" even if the coupon says you can't. They're perfectly allowed to say "no" if they want to. Frequently I'm asked somthing like, "Your offer says that product X is included, but can I have product Y instead?" "...Sure, no problem. I'm glad to have you as a customer."

Now if you lied about something to try to get your way, or tried to bully the company representative, then you'd be a bad person.
              online at http://www.theFrankes.com
              while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
              "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• p8ntblr
                • Jan 2007
                • So Cal
                • Craftsman 22114

I got in on some of the deals and many others have as well. Now unless all of the Customer Service reps are clueless, I think there was a concerted effort to allow these coupon codes to be used even though it *may* not have been applicable to those products.
                -Paul

Comment

• JSCOOK
                  • Sep 2006
                  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
                  • Ryobi BT3100-1

Although I really don't deal with Amazon direct ... I don't see why this would be classified as wrong or dishonest.

They are the ones setting the rules and if you simply ask if it can be applied, then there is nothing wrong ... as others have mentioned, they are feel to say no or deny it ...

I have often asked if it is possible to get something either for the recent sale price, discounted, or a competitive price match ... it's just being wise with your $$$ ...

I'm getting ready to spend about $5000 to build a new cedar deck, and just had the BORG provide a quote at their current prices ... I will be shopping around for best pricing and definitely won't be just accepting the first quote they provide ... it's just part of the game with most retailers.
                  "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn". by C.S. Lewis

Comment

• Woodwerker
                    Established Member
                    • Nov 2005

That promo code is only good for blades and bits
                    Every tool you own is broken, you just don't know it yet :-)

Comment

• ryan.s
                      • Feb 2006
                      • So Cal
                      • Ridgid TS3650

Originally posted by Woodwerker
                      That promo code is only good for blades and bits
                      I wonder about that, my understanding is that the promo code appears on the description of an item which is eligible for the promo. The PC dovetail router combo recently had the promo in the description while the Freud dado set SD 206 does not have the description on the promo which technically is a blade. Not sure what Amazon is trying to do.

Comment

• Woodwerker
                        Established Member
                        • Nov 2005

I called to see if they would apply it to my TS purchase, the guy was cool.
                        He read the promo, it is for eligable bits and blades only...

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                          Veteran Member
                          • Nov 2005
                          • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by Woodwerker
                          I called to see if they would apply it to my TS purchase, the guy was cool.
                          He read the promo, it is for eligable bits and blades only...
                          Too bad the saw doesn't come with a blade . . . . LOL.

Wait! It came with free Freud blade using the buy both now option. I say its a blade. Especially after them cancelling my shaper order! Two can play at that game! LOL!

Comment

• Woodwerker
                            Established Member
                            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Jeffrey Schronce
                            Too bad the saw doesn't come with a blade . . . . LOL.

Wait! It came with free Freud blade using the buy both now option. I say its a blade. Especially after them cancelling my shaper order! Two can play at that game! LOL!
                            The guy said "I can give you the promo on the blade, wait a minute its free"

Comment

• Kristofor
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jul 2004
                              • Twin Cities, MN
                              • Jet JTAS10 Cabinet Saw

Well, the code does take 20% the list price from the free blade (giving a negative cost for the blade). At least that's what I read, I haven't purchased a $300 saw from Amazon so I'm not speaking from personal experience...

In this case the system is automatically granting a discount that a real person would almost certainly deny... That feels less honest than asking a rep for a discount IMO...

Comment

Working...