X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JC507
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2007

$30 off at Amazon.com

I was just wondering if anyone has taken advantage of this offer for the Amazon credit card and then cancelled it after receiving the $30 offer. I wasn't sure if someone has done this and if there are any hidden catches like you have to keep the card for xxx amount of days, etc. Thanks for the input.
  • sacherjj
    Not Your Average Joe
    • Dec 2005
    • Indianapolis, IN, USA.
    • BT3100-1

I got the $30 and it was immediate on the first order. There were not conditionals with it. You would be fine canceling the card after paying off the balance. However, you get a $25 gift cert for every $833 spent at Amazon (3% back), so I got it before I bought a bunch of tools on Amazon. They also had a 12 months 0% (and non-incurred interest), which was nice. The only thing to worry about is opening and immediately closing accounts can have a negative effect on your credit score.
    Joe Sacher

Comment

• Anna
      • Feb 2006
      • CA, USA.
      • BT3100

I've had their card for about two years, and I must have received a few hundred dollars in gift certificates back already. You get 3% back for Amazon purchases and 1% from all others. Needless to say, I've been using it as my primary card for everything. I also got the $30 off the first order right away with no hassles or anything.

Comment

• Knottscott
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2004
        • Rochester, NY.
        • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I've done it. The credit now shows up on your statement.
        Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• SHADOWFOX
          Veteran Member
          • May 2005
          • IL, USA.
          • DELTA 36-675

Originally posted by Anna
          I've had their card for about two years, and I must have received a few hundred dollars in gift certificates back already. You get 3% back for Amazon purchases and 1% from all others. Needless to say, I've been using it as my primary card for everything. I also got the $30 off the first order right away with no hassles or anything.
          Same here! I've set up all of my utilities & monthly subscriptions to go to this card, we use the credit card to buy groceries, etc. and pay the balance off at the end of the month.. Let's just say the gift certificates paid for me Delta 17-968 drill press.
          Chris

"The first key to wisdom is constant and frequent questioning, for by doubting we are led to question and by questioning we arrive at the truth." -Pierre Abelard 11th Century philosopher.

Comment

• JC507
            Forum Newbie
            • Jan 2007

So it probably wouldn't take long to accumulate points if I use this card to pay the house payment, etc. then pay it off every month. Sounds like a good way to get some free tools! I just got approved and purchased a dust hood for my Dewalt planer and some kreg pocket screws. This is a good start for some free stuff. Thanks

Comment

• tohellwithuga
              Established Member
              • Jan 2007
              • GA

Why would you want to cancel a credit card, unless there was an annual fee?

Comment

• davidtu
                • Apr 2006
                • Seattle, WA
                • BT3100

Originally posted by JC507
                So it probably wouldn't take long to accumulate points if I use this card to pay the house payment, etc. then pay it off every month.
                You do get something back (1%??) on non-Amazon purchases, but I believe the 3% only applies to $$ spent on Amazon.com.
                Never met a bargain I didn't like.

Comment

• sacherjj
                  Not Your Average Joe
                  • Dec 2005
                  • Indianapolis, IN, USA.
                  • BT3100-1

Yes, it is 1% for non-Amazon purchases. I pay all the bills I can with this card and just keep the balance back to 0 every month.
                  Joe Sacher

Comment

• SHADOWFOX
                    Veteran Member
                    • May 2005
                    • IL, USA.
                    • DELTA 36-675

This worked pretty good specially when I signed up for classes. The company I work for reimburses me 100% on the tuition cost. These classes were expensive so points racked up pretty fast even at 1% back.
                    Chris

"The first key to wisdom is constant and frequent questioning, for by doubting we are led to question and by questioning we arrive at the truth." -Pierre Abelard 11th Century philosopher.

Comment

Working...