• Show
Clear All
  • JimK
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2003
    • Fairless Hills, PA
    • BT3100

Free 1 Yr. WoodCraft Subscription

This is for a free 1 year subscription to Woodcraft Magazine (6 issues). I've never looked into this one yet so I thought I would try it out. The price is right. The main reason I did it though is because the link also offers free trade journals for different trades.

In my case I happened to be interested in 4 Information Technology journals that I would otherwise sign up for individually anyway. You'll have to go through the typical surveys that they ask for these things, but in my case I only had to go through it once instead of 4 different times for each journal. There's no credit card information or anything other than your email and ship to address that they ask for.

The site remembered my email address from a previous time, and already had my related information that I had filled out once before. It escapes my memory when I did it the last time, but as I think about it, I probably got the link from this forum. Maybe a Workbench subscription?

There are about 12 trades to choose from, and a bunch more under "other".

http://a388.g.akamai.net/7/388/1603/...t03welcome.htm

Jim K.
  • Sam Conder
    Woodworker Once More
    • Dec 2002
    • Midway, KY
    • Delta 36-725T2

It may not diminsh the value of this offer to you, but keep in mind that this type of offer is often used to harvest e-mail and snail mail addresses for mass mailing purposes.
    Sam Conder
    BT3Central's First Member

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." -Thomas A. Edison

Comment

• Russianwolf
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
      • One of them there Toy saws

too many stupid questions. I'm not an IT guy and most of the questions are geared that way. I gave up half way through. I'll spend the 20 buck to subscribe if I want it that bad.
      Mike
      Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• JimK
        Forum Newbie
        • Feb 2003
        • Fairless Hills, PA
        • BT3100

Originally posted by Sam Conder
        It may not diminsh the value of this offer to you, but keep in mind that this type of offer is often used to harvest e-mail and snail mail addresses for mass mailing purposes.
        That's a good point to keep in mind. I'm always on the lookout for that. Nothing's ever really "free" I guess. In my case I have the journals forwarded to work and use my work email, and I kind of expect some of that. Although I did have the Woodcraft subscription shipped to my home because you can split the ship to's that way.

I will say that I feel a little more comfortable with this outfit, becase they do ask you if you want to opt out of receiving various email. When I've done this before with the related trade journals I've found that it was legitimate. I also use a different unique name so that I can tell the source of any junk mail that I receive, and I really don't recall getting anything additional as a result of this particular link with the name that I used before. Their biggest value that they get out of you is providing the trade journals with new customers.

You're right though, people always need to be aware that they could be subject to some additional email traffic whenever you give that out.

Jim K.

Comment

• JimK
          Forum Newbie
          • Feb 2003
          • Fairless Hills, PA
          • BT3100

Originally posted by Russianwolf
          too many stupid questions. I'm not an IT guy and most of the questions are geared that way. I gave up half way through. I'll spend the 20 buck to subscribe if I want it that bad.
          I don't blame you. It's probably only worth it for someone who is already planning to do the usual trade journal survey thing. There are a lot of questions. I typically do this once a year anyway for each of the journals I signed up for so in my case it was worth it.

Jim K.

Comment

• whitecobra
            Established Member
            • Aug 2006
            • 3 Miles from Disney in Orlando
            • BT3K with most accessories

I have used this service several times in the last 10+ years for various businesses I was in. It IS legitimate and is not phishing for emails
            The questions being asked is to get the magazines the needed info to determine IF you get the magazines

For example if you simply checked yes to every magazine looking for "free stuff" that costs a lot of money to the magazine. They want the demographics of its readers and are willing to give subscriptions away in exchange for it

As for IT stuff that was only if you leaded your answers that way. I got all kinds of questions about management stuff when I put in I was CEO. I was asked info on employee quantity industry specifics for my business etc...

I used to get a few Medical magazines as well as Medical Management and Insurance management mags when I was still in practice from this firm

Dr D
            Newest site to learn woodworking, DIY and Home Renovation.
            www.onlineshopclass.com built by woodworkers for woodworkers and supported by the industry so everyone wins

If you are in the Orlando area contact me lets get together and talk saw dust (or food or anything else you like except sports)

My wife and I are National Food Judges so we CAN talk food with the best.

Dr Dave

Comment

• jwaterdawg
              • Aug 2005
              • Washington, NC USA
              • JET

Thanks for posting this. I hope they add this subscription to my currently running 3 year subscription.

With regards to spam, it is inevitable. I have a separate gmail account which is my spam black hole. I use it for everything where I am not sure about (free mags, website registrations, etc.).
              Don't be stupid, the universe is watching.

Comment

• Andrew Benedetto
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2003
                • SoCal, USA
                • Unisaw w. 52"Bies,22124CM & BT3K

I too use this in my dental office. Any spam is usually filtered by yahoo email anyway. It provides patients different types of mags. to read imn my office, for N/C to me. I have never had any issuesd with them. It is designed for business owners and not home use as an advertising/subscribtion boost for the mags. offered.

Thanks Jim, I did not see this offer. Took me little time to sign up as I am in their database.
                Andrew

Comment

• Bob Bassett
                  Established Member
                  • May 2003
                  • Shalimar, Florida, USA.

You guys forgot to mention all the neat free t-shirts the IT folks send you. I have a drawer full.
                  Bob Bassett from Northwest Florida

Comment

• sacherjj
                    Not Your Average Joe
                    • Dec 2005
                    • Indianapolis, IN, USA.
                    • BT3100-1

I've signed up with these before and didn't see a serious amount of junk mail. The idea is that they are happy to get magazines to you, if you are the target BUSINESS audience. Advertising usually pays for the cost of all the magazine. All the subscription pays for is postage. If they can up their subscriptions in areas that are of interest to the advertisers, they can get more revenue.

I have been getting some very nice video magazines for free for 3 years. I have a photography and videography business that I register for this. I also now do some woodworking on the side with the same company name, so I can register for this. Often, all that you need to do to continue receiving it is acknowledge on a web site once per year.
                    Last edited by sacherjj; 02-19-2007, 12:54 PM.
                    Joe Sacher

Comment

• Ken Massingale
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Liberty, SC, USA.
                      • Ridgid TS3650

At 'free' the price is o.k for Woodcraft Magazine. Another nickel and it's not worth the price, IMO.

Comment

• Russianwolf
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2004
                        • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
                        • One of them there Toy saws

Originally posted by whitecobra
                        As for IT stuff that was only if you leaded your answers that way. I got all kinds of questions about management stuff when I put in I was CEO. I was asked info on employee quantity industry specifics for my business etc...
                        I'm an accountant and my title is Financial Director. Yet nearly all the questions I was being asked involved software and IT. A couple were "How many people are in your company" which are vague enough to be IT or financial related. But I can tell you that I definitely didn't lead the questions that way. I got frustrated because I don't pretend to know what half of what it was asking was.
                        Mike
                        Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• Kerf
                          Established Member
                          • Feb 2006

I get a lot of magazines from this company, you can`t beat free!

Thanks for posting this.
                          Last edited by Kerf; 02-20-2007, 11:30 AM.
                          Nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done. Now, if you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hit, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you are because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that and that ain't you. You're better than that! -Rocky Balboa-

Comment

• Kristofor
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jul 2004
                            • Twin Cities, MN
                            • Jet JTAS10 Cabinet Saw

The questions you are asked are based on the items you select to receive as well.

Since I already receive CIO, eWeek and the like the only thing I marked was Woodcraft. It was maybe 10 questions. Waaaaaay less than if you pick more/all of the other magazines (which frequently ask the same question for each one).

Kristofor.

Comment

• radhak
                              Veteran Member
                              • Apr 2006
                              • Miramar, FL
                              • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Originally posted by Ken Massingale
                              At 'free' the price is o.k for Woodcraft Magazine. Another nickel and it's not worth the price, IMO.
                              that helps contain my expectation, thanks. was willing to be surprised otherwise (seeing it's a product from a retail store), but aahh, well.
                              It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                              - Aristotle

Comment

Working...