• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Larry David
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2006
    • Maryland.

Yorkcraft Mortiser

I picked one up today....on sale...$159 (no chisels)...pretty good deal.

http://www.wilkemachinery.com/defaul...kudatarq=21542
  • Andrew Benedetto
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2003
    • SoCal, USA
    • Unisaw w. 52"Bies,22124CM & BT3K

Their shipping is a killer for me. I looked at that tool but ended up getting a PM701 for $219 w. RB. from amazon. Harville has a good sale on their chisels,$20, just need to disolve or polish off the clear coating;
    link;
    http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/11429
    Andrew

Comment

• Larry David
      Forum Newbie
      • Jan 2006
      • Maryland.

Originally posted by Andrew Benedetto
      Their shipping is a killer for me. I looked at that tool but ended up getting a PM701 for $219 w. RB. from amazon. Harville has a good sale on their chisels,$20, just need to disolve or polish off the clear coating;
      link;
      http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/11429
      Thanks for the tip on the Hartville chisels Andrew. I ordered a set. Great price.

Comment

• Pappy
        The Full Monte
        • Dec 2002
        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 (x2)

Decent looking machine. I'm jealous!

I did some researh a while back and found this line of chisels. One of the few made of Austrian steel.

http://www.fisch-woodworking.com/mor...etsFisch.shtml
        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
        Fools because they have to say something.
        Plato

Comment

• ProfAlan
          Forum Newbie
          • May 2006

If you are looking for a mortiser, Rockler (at least the one in Buffalo, NY) has the Delta 14-651 on sale for $199, plus they give you a $25 gift card, plus there is a $50 rebate from Delta. So total net cost is $125.

This one comes with 4 chisels. I do not know how good they are.

I also do not know if they are running this at all of the Rocklers as it is not in the ad with a price.

Alan

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Excellent purchase and buy, Larry! You could possibly dig around and find a better price on a mortiser with patience................

But.... you'd be hard pressed to find a cheaper bench-top with not only a front wheel clamp but a bona-fide XY moving table as only found on the much more expensive floor models and that Yorkcraft.

I have to cut eight 3/4" x 2 3/4" x 2" deep mortises to-night on my Shop-fox. If I had that X-Y it would cut the time about 1/4...

Again.. smart you to find a deal that you couldn't refuse and a good one at that!

Comment

• Holbren
              • Oct 2004
              • Heathrow, FL.

Congrats, that always looked like a nice machine.
              Brian
              Holbren, Whiteside, LRH, Ridge, Tenryu, Norton
              "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
              www.holbren.com

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2005
                • York, PA, USA.

Holy freaking smokes! They have a bunch of stuff on sale, namely 12" jointer for $1499!!!!!

Comment

• Andrew Benedetto
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2003
                  • SoCal, USA

The Hartville are good for the price,hardened,work fine after you get the coating off, and they are very nice to deal with, adjusted my price down after I bought them when they went on sale.
                  The Fisch did not get good remarks at Wood-net or amazon,oddly enough,I think they are the same as the Delta made there too.
                  The Lee Valley are thought to be the best, $125/set I think.
                  Andrew

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2005
                    • York, PA, USA.

This is a situation where individual purchases may be a better move than a set. I personally use 3/8" 85% of the time. Look at the type of projects you will be making and determine if you can get by with 1 or 2 really nice chisels or whether you need a full set. I think I may have said it before, but the Rockler chisel sharpening thingy is pretty awesome.
                    I am selling my 14-651 and getting the Yorkcraft. The X-Y table is awesome.

Comment

• Holbren
                      • Oct 2004
                      • Heathrow, FL.

Good point Jeffrey. Spend what you would spend on a set for a 3/8" chisel that would be used most of the time.

The really good ones are pricey. Forest City who I sell has them but the chisel alone is about $65 without the center boring bit.
                      Brian
                      Holbren, Whiteside, LRH, Ridge, Tenryu, Norton
                      "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
                      www.holbren.com

Comment

• Andrew Benedetto
                        Veteran Member
                        • Mar 2003
                        • SoCal, USA

Any idea as to why their s&h is sooo expensive, seems very highly marked up? Remember reading at woodnet forum that there are some issues w. that x/y vise setup. You may was to check it out there. It sure looks good from the picture.
                        Andrew

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                          Veteran Member
                          • Nov 2005
                          • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by Andrew Benedetto
                          Any idea as to why their s&h is sooo expensive, seems very highly marked up? Remember reading at woodnet forum that there are some issues w. that x/y vise setup. You may was to check it out there. It sure looks good from the picture.
                          It completely depends on where you live in the country. Grizzly has 3 distribution locations and averages out shipping for a flat fee. With Wilke shipping from PA to MD is going to be way cheaper than PA to CA. I discussed this with them one time and they seemed to like the way they currently do it.

Edit : I can't find the woodnet thread using their search function. Anyway you can PM or Email it to me?
                          Last edited by Jeffrey Schronce; 11-26-2006, 12:07 PM.

Comment

• Andrew Benedetto
                            Veteran Member
                            • Mar 2003
                            • SoCal, USA

Woodnet is terrible w. their search. It was discussed when the Delta price went up in october. I will search by my name and see if I can find it.
                            FOUND IT:
                            http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthr...v=#Post2690290
                            "there is a current article on mortisers in Americal Woodworker (November issue). I got to tell you, with the shipping, I would save a little more and look for a Power Matic dealer in your neighborhood.

I like the idea of an X/Y table, but the table is tiny and would be a greater distraction to me than the X/Y would make up for. "

I think the price was the reason it was considered good but maybe not the function? I know at $219 the PM701 was below cost and is top rated, more than I need, but I like the table w. the hold in rotating cams, makes the x/y less of an issue and has a large CI table, and it is not made in China but Taiwan.
                            Last edited by Andrew Benedetto; 11-26-2006, 02:42 PM. Reason: LINK fixed
                            Andrew

Comment

• Stormbringer
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 2005
                              • Floral Park, NY
                              • Bosch 4000

Originally posted by Jeffrey Schronce
                              With Wilke shipping from PA to MD is going to be way cheaper than PA to CA.
                              You would think, right? How about from PA to within PA? $57 (same price as MD, BTW)
                              To me in NY, $59
                              To Andrew in CA, $69. I'd have to say that MD is not way cheaper than CA, although it should be. I think their rates are a little skewed. Shipping killed the deal for me. I'll keep my Delta...for now .

Now, Jeff, if you wanted to pick up a truckload and distribute them around the Northeast as you have so generously done in the past....

Regards,
                              Greg

Click to ENLARGE
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...