1 bargin and 1 maybe bargin (rulers/square)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LinuxRandal
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2005
    • Independence, MO, USA.
    • bt3100

1 bargin and 1 maybe bargin (rulers/square)

On my way to bed, I decided to check Woodcraft. I saw under their specials, the rulers are on sale again: http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=2021
    stainless cabinet makers rule, $19.99

Then the one I don't know if they are good or not. Groz square set $29.99 : http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=3730
    She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.
  • Anna
    • Feb 2006
    • CA, USA.
    • BT3100

I went to WoodCraft yesterday to check out the Groz squares. One of the guys working there tested them against an Incra square and, well, the Groz squares are not square. It may just be the one set that we tried, but I decided not to buy them anyway.

I didn't check out the steel rulers, but I did buy the router bushing set (http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=4855) for $17.99, regularly $29.99.

Comment

• wassaw998
      • Jul 2004
      • Atlanta, GA, USA.

How do you know the Incra square was not square?
      Chris

Comment

• Anna
        • Feb 2006
        • CA, USA.
        • BT3100

Originally posted by wassaw998
        How do you know the Incra square was not square?
        The Incra is generally pretty reliable and their tolerances are very small. There were also two Incra squares we tried, and they matched perfectly. If I have to bet my money on which product is likely to be out of square, I'd put my money on the Groz. But that's just me. Obviously, I wasn't convinced enough of the quality to buy it. You are welcome to think differently.

Personally, I use Starretts anyway.

Comment

• oracle
          Forum Newbie
          • Sep 2005
          • Fremont, CA, USA.

Try putting it against the Starrett. That thing is guaranteed to be square.

The best way is to put the square against a straight board, draw a line on the outer blade. Flip the square over against the line. The line and the flipped edge should align perfectly.

Comment

• cgallery
            Veteran Member
            • Sep 2004
            • Milwaukee, WI
            • BT3K

Originally posted by oracle
            Try putting it against the Starrett. That thing is guaranteed to be square.

The best way is to put the square against a straight board, draw a line on the outer blade. Flip the square over against the line. The line and the flipped edge should align perfectly.
            To be really accurate, you have to scibe a line because even a fine pencil line isn't fine enough. And the board's edge has to be perfectly straight. Any deviation in straightness will make the square look less than square.

Comment

Working...