X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davethegolfer
    Forum Newbie
    • Mar 2005

HD Rebate Service

This might not be the right forum for this rant, but some bargains are no bargain if they involve a rebates or gift card. I bought a home standby generator from HD and found out the installation had been raised $500+ from the original quote. I went ahead when the salesman said the purchase would qualify for a $500 gift card. Sent in the rebate form and after 2 months found out it had been lost. HD told me to send in new copies of what was necessary for the card. Did get the card for $500. Spent about 3/4 of it on a bandsaw. Tried to use the card for some other purchases and was told that the card had been zeroed out by their rebate center. The local store pulled up the purchases and said that the remainder should still be there. Now I am trying to find out what happened and how I get the remaining value back. Good customer service does not include quoting bad installation costs, losing rebate forms and cancelling earned gift cards. I will repost to this thread after this is resolved.
  • sweensdv
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • WI
    • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Congratulations, you're the 5,000,000th HD shopper to have been jacked around by their Gift Card Redemption Program! Welcome to the Club.

Comment

• Holbren
      • Oct 2004
      • Heathrow, FL.

I'm waiting on a card too, need to call and find out. Here is my two cents on rebate programs and why they choose them over just giving a discount. This holds true for all retailers.

1. customer never sends it in or passes deadline (I have done that)

2. customer throws away packaging before taking off UPC (I have done that)

3. customer doesn't make copies so when they say it's "lost" you have no leg to stand on (I have done that)

4. customer never receives and doesn't bother calling (not this time)
      Brian
      Holbren, Whiteside, LRH, Ridge, Tenryu, Norton
      "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
      www.holbren.com

Comment

• topp
        Handtools only
        • Jun 2006

I agree with Brian, with the addition of.

5. Studies have shown that people spend x amount more then the gift cards when they use them. Therefore, HD will end up getting more money from us.

Dave,

Good luck with your gift card.

Bryan

Comment

• jziegler
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2005
          • Salem, NJ, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3100

Brian,

You got most of the reasons, but missed one other reason why they do it:

Even if you dot all the i's and cross all the t's on time, they still have your money for the 2 months it takes to process the rebate, possibly much longer for a gift card. So, while processing, they might collect interest on your money, or can use it for something else, whatever. Those extra couple of months of having your money can sometimes help their bottom line.

Jim

Comment

• BobSch
            • Aug 2004
            • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
            • BT3100

Not to mention that many cards charge an extra fee if you don't use them after a certain period. Like 1.5% per month after a year's inactivity.
            Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

Working...