• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davidtu
    • Apr 2006
    • Seattle, WA
    • BT3100

Bargains in Italy & Germany??

Going to be in both countries for a while in the fall. Are there any tools that it pays to buy over there and ship back? Anything we can't get here?
    Never met a bargain I didn't like.
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

I don't know about tools in those countries, but I went in a French equivalent of HD last year. I saw nothing noteworthy.

On a slight tangent, in the past I have bought some nice marquetry-based artwork, made in the Black Forest. You can find some nice beer steins in Germany, particularly in Munich.

It might be fun to shop for tools in Italy, but I haven't done it. Their industrial designs are outstanding, so it might be cool to be on the lookout for a interesting, modestly-priced tool. Bear in mind, though, that everything is 220V/50Hz over there. Alternatively, look for pottery in Tuscany and glass in Venice.

Have fun!
    JR
    JR

Comment

• davidtu
      • Apr 2006
      • Seattle, WA
      • BT3100

Originally posted by JR
      Bear in mind, though, that everything is 220V/50Hz over there.
      Thanks JR! Regarding the voltage, I will have it in my shop. But I don't know about the cycles... would I be OK w/ 50hz machine or not? What mods are required? Worth it?

Anyway, don't really expect to get anything there... can't believe it could be cost-effective... but thought I'd ask since as you say they have some nice equipment... maybe some Freud blades?
      Never met a bargain I didn't like.

Comment

• maxparot
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
        • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

We work on 60hz here in the US.
        I don't know about finding tools in Italy but I put on 10lbs in 10 days from all the great food. If you like to drink they make a lot of good wines and liqueors.
        As for Germany I always liked the beer, ale and wines. And they are well know for precision hand tools.
        Opinions are like gas;
        I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

• JR
          The Full Monte
          • Feb 2004
          • Eugene, OR
          • BT3000

Originally posted by davidtu
          But I don't know about the cycles... would I be OK w/ 50hz machine or not?
          \
          I'm not sure exactly, but I'd think most electric motors designed for 50Hz would run 20% faster at 60Hz. So all the speed ratings would be messed up.

JR
          JR

Comment

• gsmittle
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2004
            • St. Louis, MO, USA.
            • BT 3100

Sounds to me like you need a beer taster to come with you.

g.
            Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
            Bill & Ted

Comment

• Handy Al
              Established Member
              • Feb 2004
              • Worthington, OH, USA.
              • BT3100

The wife and I spent 2 weeks in Italy in May. I didn't see too much in the way of shops with tools. It was kind of nice not to see a HD, Lowes, Walmart or other stores around every corner.

Enjoy the local food and "Vini de Casa" the house wines. All we had were very good.

I would recommed getting Rick Steve's guide book before you. We used it to plan our whole trip.
              "I'm growing older but not up." Jimmy Buffett

Comment

• wouldchuck
                Forum Newbie
                • Sep 2005
                • Richmond, VA, USA.

I visited the swiss equivalent of Home Depot/Lowe's in Basel last Fall and got some low-buck cam clamps and a wooden rabbet plane. I would definitely recommend doing some tool shopping just for the cross-cultural comparison if nothing else.

Comment

• oracle
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Sep 2005
                  • Fremont, CA, USA.

Aren't some of the the world's best woodworking professional and serious hobbyist power tools built in Italy, Germany and Austria? Just to name a few: Agazzani, Mini Max, Laguna/Knapp, Felder, Freud, Bosch, Hilti, Metabo, Hammer, Biesse, Bessy, Blum and many many more. The europeans are the frontiers of power tool design, research and manufacturing. It's pretty sad that all we get here are mostly South-East Asian manufactured tools that are designed based on cetury old patents. One example is the Delta Unisaw, which has not changed (advanced) much (at all) since it's inception. Our european counterparts are using sliding table saws and combination machines. I think if there were any demand for european tools here, the Chinese manufacturers would be forced to undercut and copy the fancy european tools. Thus making them affordable and available for us.

Sure you may counter by saying I've never heard of the above mentioned companies and if I ever did and wanted one of those Austrian beauties it would cost me way too much and could possibly not be able to use all the functionalities to justify the purchase. Well Norm Abram, time to get out of the dark age and start promoting some cutting edge european tools for the American masses. In other words, get the market moving in a new direction. Don't let the manufacturer decide for you what you will be using to cut your wood.

One funny thing comes to mind. I know some guys that splurge on a tool and try to justify by saying: "I'll probably pass this cast iron work horse down to my grandson and maybe to his grandson". Wake up! Your grandson will be cutting wood on a CNC macine and his grandson will be using laser to cut wood. I say hey, you only live once, ya can't take it with ya, buy it for yourself and only for yourself -- you worked hard for it, you deserve it.

Try getting that past your wife though...

Comment

Working...