• Show
Clear All
  • gychang
    Established Member
    • Jan 2006
    • Sacramento, California
    • none

chicago electric 12" sliding laser miter saw: $179

From Harbor Freight, price seems good, is the unit a reasonable quality for this weekend warrior?

thanks,

gychang
  • sweensdv
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • WI
    • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

For woodworking projects where accuracy counts I'd pass on this SCMS. However, for carpentry type projects where close is good enough it probably would serve you well.

Comment

• Chadwick
      Forum Newbie
      • Sep 2005
      • Central Texas

HF had this on one of their sidewalk sales last fall for about $89. Yeh, not bad for jobs where real accuracy is not important. Have read where some folks have been able to tune this pretty good, and with a good blade have gotten pretty favorable results.

Chadwick

Comment

• gychang
        Established Member
        • Jan 2006
        • Sacramento, California
        • none

Originally posted by Chadwick
        HF had this on one of their sidewalk sales last fall for about $89. Yeh, not bad for jobs where real accuracy is not important. Have read where some folks have been able to tune this pretty good, and with a good blade have gotten pretty favorable results.

Chadwick
        $89?, where was I??

gychang

Comment

• pirinst
          Forum Newbie
          • Nov 2005
          • Portland, Or, USA.

About three years ago I checked out the cheapo

HF sliders. They had a couple of brands for around $100-$200. They amp ratings at the time were very low. Seemed to me around 8 amps- most of the name brand saws were running 15 amps at the time. I was very suspicious thinking the saw, while looking pretty neat cost wise might not be
          able to cut anything serious, or there'd have to be crap bearings or poor
          motor connections.....

anyhow, I bought a non slider Delta clearance marked at Sears and have had no problems. Don't know anyone with a HF slider..

Last winter HD had a super cheap slider during Xmas shopping but I passed on that one as well. When I can afford a full price unit, then I'll consider it seriously.

Comment

• vanguard
            Established Member
            • Jul 2005
            • Brighton, MI, USA.
            • Ridgid TS2400SL

In think the really cheap one was a 10". The 12" looked like a better unit but it was $129 IIRC.

Comment

• messmaker
              Veteran Member
              • May 2004
              • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
              • Ridgid 2424

Vanguard is right about the price. I have the 10" inch model. I got it for the extracapacity when building a deck. It did just fine for that. I don't think it has the accuracy you need for WW. It has plenty of power if you take your time. I think the 12" model has a larger motor.
              spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

Working...