• Show
Clear All
  • bigsteel15
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2006
    • Edmonton, AB
    • Ryobi BT3100

Clamps at HD (minor gloat)

Got told of this on the candian ww forum.

These clamps, under the Husky brand name, look to be identical to the Gator clamps sold at Lee Valley.
    http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...07&cat=1,43838

Home Depot doesn't carry any of the accessories, though, and only have the clamps in 12", 24", and 36" sizes. Prices were $8, $10, and $13, respectively. Lee Valley's prices are $17, $20, and $24.30 in quantities of 4 or more.

I now have 4-12", 4-24" and 2-36"
    (my first clampaholics meeting is next week)
    It looks like they are being replaced by the ones with double head where you don't need to turn around to be a spreader.

Not too often HD acually has something "on sale" up here. Actually they weren't even yellow tagged, just had the regular white sticker on some and no sticker on others.
    Is this normal in the US stores for the price to go down on a white sticker?
    Maybe I should start looking at prices instead of just looking for yellow tags, eh?

Brian

Welcome to the school of life
    Where corporal punishment is alive and well.
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

Haven't seen any clamps like that in the local stores, but I haven't looked close, either. Most interesting idea is the use of multiple clamps around the center 'ring' adapter.
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato

Comment

• Roger on the Rock
      Forum Newbie
      • Apr 2006
      • St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada
      • BT-3100

So are these decent clamps? I bought a set of small ones in a package for $20 and they seem OK. At one point, one of them left a mark on the workpiece. Let me know how they work out.

Comment

• jtrcy
        Established Member
        • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Roger on the Rock
        So are these decent clamps? I bought a set of small ones in a package for $20 and they seem OK. At one point, one of them left a mark on the workpiece. Let me know how they work out.
        Those little grey pads leave some weird oily imprints on the wood surface. I bought a bunch of the Husky ones - even at $5 for a 4 pack (2 large 2 small) - they were a bad purchase.

JT

Comment

• Tom Miller
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2003
          • Twin Cities, MN
          • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Originally posted by jtrcy
          Those little grey pads leave some weird oily imprints on the wood surface.
          Hmmm, sounds like patent infringement on Jorgensen's rubber pads. And I paid extra for the Jorgensen pads!

I put a piece of masking tape over the face, though, and now I'm good to go.

Regards,
          Tom

Comment

• Roger on the Rock
            Forum Newbie
            • Apr 2006
            • St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada
            • BT-3100

I bought 2 x 12" and 4 x 24" today @ $8 & $10 each respectively. Seem pretty good..however still wondering about the marks they may leave. The small ones I bought a few weeks ago seem not to leave marks any more.

Comment

Working...