• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • skipwill
    Established Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Columbia, SC, USA.

If you use x10 to control your DC...

...they are having a sale on stick on wall switches - 6 for $14.95.

Instead of always looking for the keychain remote control, you can stick a switch on the TS, the planer, the bandsaw, etc. and control the DC from 6 locations plus the remote (if you can find it)

http://www.x10.com/promotions/vault_rw684.html

Be aware that if you ever buy something from X10, you will be their friend for life and receive an email atleast once a day from them...

-Skip
    Skip
    www.ShopFileR.com
  • schak
    Forum Newbie
    • Apr 2006

Does anyone have first hand experience with this or a related item? I am curios on how well it actually works.

Comment

• Dan Tipton
      Forum Newbie
      • Jun 2006
      • Grafton, NY

X-10 in the house

X-10 (and its newer cousins) works great, especially if you don't want to run wire - like for switch legs. I used it to control our outside corner lights on the house and detached garage -- Just put a X-10 receiver (of the proper variety) near the corner light that you want to control and power it from the nearest hot leg. The same with the switches - put them where you want them and power them from their nearest hot leg.

Note that you will probably need to install a "coupler" at your breaker box to connect the two different sides of your service so the X-10 signals can bridge accross. X-10 works by a signal that rides on top of the regular 110v power circuitry, but does not get transmitted through transfromers (so you are safe from your neighbor).

Comment

• Jim Padgett
        Forum Newbie
        • Apr 2006
        • Richmond VA
        • BT3100

X10 Experience

I use it control my DC and most of the lights in my house. I have an oscelot as a programmable control device. X10 works well for devices you don't have to know actually acutated because they are one-way communication devices.. they receive a signal sent over the AC wiring sort of like a broadcast message.. they don't talk back. The newer devices can, but they cost $$$ .

Comment

• tg3
          Forum Newbie
          • Oct 2004
          • Seattle, WA.
          • Grizzly G0444Z

Which X-10 outlet or switch would be adequate for a DC?
          If you don't measure, you don't know.

Comment

• Tom Miller
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2003
            • Twin Cities, MN
            • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Originally posted by tg3
            Which X-10 outlet or switch would be adequate for a DC?
            Look for my post in this thread.

Regards,
            Tom

Comment

• skipwill
              Established Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Columbia, SC, USA.

tg3

If it is a 110v DC like the HF, then the three pin appliance module will work. That is what I use. Also you need the tranceiver to pick up the signal from the remote and broadcast it on the power line. Any x10 wireless switch will work, including the key fobs.

Skip
              Skip
              www.ShopFileR.com

Comment

Working...