• Show
Clear All
  • Stormbringer
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2005
    • Floral Park, NY
    • Bosch 4000

Originally posted by Pappy

I switched to the aluminum 'Plunge Lift' from Woodpeckers from this type plate. Reasoning was two fold, other that the above the table height adjustment.

Don,

A few questions fer ya.

1) What router do you have hanging from the Woodpecker plate (for some reason I think I recall you saying it was an M12v)?

2) Do you leave the router mounted permanently or remove it when not in use to help eliminate any potential sag. Is it even possible to remove it with the Plunge Lift set-up? I think that's a feature they tout on their more pricey models.

3) If it is the M12v, do you use the offset wrench to make the above the table bit changes or does the motor raise high enough that you can make them with the wrench that came with the router, again assuming the M12V.

I ask because I just received the Plungelift and aluminum plate for my M12V but am still building the carcass for my RT and will be starting the top shortly.

Also, side note to the others buying the HF plate. Could the potential for sag be postponed or even eliminated if the plate is not screwed down to the table (as on The Router Workshop) and the router and plate are removed as one piece when not in use?

Thanks for your time Pappy,
    Greg

Comment

• ssmith1627
      • Dec 2005
      • Corryton, TN, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3100

The plate I got from Woodcraft looks just like that one in the picture, rings and all.

My only complaint so far is the rings -- like was mentioned above, a much larger set of rings would be better. The fit is good with some bits but pretty lacking on others. A 1/2" roundover bit means you remove the smallest ring and so you have a pretty big gap there.

Steve

Comment

• Pappy
        The Full Monte
        • Dec 2002
        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 (x2)

Originally posted by Stormbringer
        Don,

A few questions fer ya.

1) What router do you have hanging from the Woodpecker plate (for some reason I think I recall you saying it was an M12v)?

2) Do you leave the router mounted permanently or remove it when not in use to help eliminate any potential sag. Is it even possible to remove it with the Plunge Lift set-up? I think that's a feature they tout on their more pricey models.

3) If it is the M12v, do you use the offset wrench to make the above the table bit changes or does the motor raise high enough that you can make them with the wrench that came with the router, again assuming the M12V.

Greg
        Greg, I got your email. Sorry about the delay posting, kept forgetting to pull the thread up when I was logged in.

I have the M12V permanently mounted in the router station. There is no practical way to remove the router from the Plungelift.

When I switched plates I adjusted for the different size/porportions by cutting the opening oversized and glueing in a hard maple frame to hold the plate. It is a tight fit and held in by the 2 spring loaded tension balls on the plate and the weight of the router. It would be a simple matter to lift the entire assemble out and store it inside the cabinet.

I don't have the offset wrench, but would recommend it. The router will raise high enough to use the stock wrench from above the table but it engages the collet lugs at an angle. I have had it slip a few times and had to sand down the edge of the plate throat because of a couple of gouges from the edge of the wench.
        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
        Fools because they have to say something.
        Plato

Comment

• jspringer
          Forum Newbie
          • Jul 2006

HF Router Table Insert first impressions

I received the 19.99 insert today and thought I would offer my first take on it. It seems pretty well constructed and the circle inserts snap in firmly. There are 4 screws and magnets for leveling and and index pin for starting boards freehand. It has an instruction sheet with slightly blurry illustrations and only a few spelling errors. The thickness of the main plate measures .365 with a dial calipers but the outer perimeter of the insert is a reduced thickness of .240 on the outermost half inch. This means that the ~3/8 inch portion measures just about 8 x 11 while the overall dimension is 9 x 12. The threads for the 6mm leveling screws look pretty clean and a 3mm allen wrench was included. You need to drill your own holes to mount the router and the instructions cover that pretty well. It is not a professional unit as some have already observed but is probably adequate for many people. I plan to put it in a table with a sears precision router fence from e-bay, t-track and featherboards from rockler and a sliding miter track from pricecutter. The HF insert should be right at home in this heinz 57 outfit. It will be a project that would make Red Green proud and Nahm scoff!

Comment

• mpauly
            Established Member
            • Apr 2006
            • NJ

Got mine today as well and while i didn't go through the same thorough assement and measurements, I concur with jspringer, the plate is fairly substantial. I'm planning on putting it into a poorman's table until I know exactly what features I decide to build into a more substantial table. For $22 delivered, I'm happy with it.

Again, anyone need an attache case?

Michael

Comment

• husky
              Forum Newbie
              • Mar 2006

Can either of you that have it comment on the flatness with a straight edge- both before and after hanging the router in it. Just curios if it sags at all under weight and if it is flat to start with. I know some claim to have a crown in the phenolic plates that flatten out with the router pulling down. Thanks a lot.

Comment

• jspringer
                Forum Newbie
                • Jul 2006

Flatness of insert

I would have sworn that the insert was dead flat but upon checking I found that it had a crown of about 1/32 of an inch from the outer edge of the plate to the circular insert cutout. I won't be able to tell you the result with the weight of the router anytime soon as there are about 5 projects ahead of the router table project. Also, I will be installing a Hitachi M12VC which is a lightweight compared to some of the units out there. Hope this helps.

Regards,

JWS

Comment

• djcannon
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Jun 2006
                  • Kennewick, WA
                  • BT 3100

Hey I got one of those

I purchased a plate that looks like that from MLCS for $34.95 a few months ago and have the plate mounted on my bt table saw extention. Mine Started out with the middle raised about a 1/32 on an inch but after several months it became flat. I'm not sure if the 115 F temps in my garage tha last 2 months ahve made the difference but I've chosen to not store my router on the plate to avoid any more change in it's currently flat state. keeping the router in it's box works fine since it is the Dewalt with the multiple bases it only takes a moment to take it off and put it away..
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...