Skil tools at Meijer

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • jlm
    Established Member
    • Oct 2005
    • 137
    • Austin, TX

    #1

    Skil tools at Meijer

    Meijer (a regional Wal-mart-like store) here in northern Indiana has a pair of possibly good closeouts on Skil power tools:

    4680-04 jigsaw - $39.95

    Dragster 3x21 belt sander - $45.95

    I know they're not going to be Bosch or Makita-grade tools, but are either of these worth buying at these prices?
  • steve-u
    Established Member
    • Nov 2005
    • 222
    • Bartlett, Ill.
    • Ryobi BT 3100

    #2
    I would go to Amazon.com and search for the tool models to see what comments are left by users if any. I have not used either tool myself but I did by a reconditioned Makita belt sander with full warranty from Toolking for less than the B&D you mention and it can be placed upside down to act as a bench tool. It is the well rated 9910 model and looks and works like new. It still is available at the link below.

    http://www.toolking.com/productinfo....productid=2550

    As far as Jig saws I guess it depends on how much you are going to use it, how often, and how much precision and power is needed. I never know what to ask for Christmas but this year I asked for and got the Bosch 1590EVSK jig saw. Well I used a middle of the road Craftsman for years and I was STUNNED at the difference with the new Bosch. It has enough power and precision to build a house with it alone as your wood cutting tool. So what I am suggesting is that you may want to carefully consider a jigsaw purchase as by spending a bit more money you can get a really nice jigsaw if you think you would appreciate the difference for the extra money. I understand that Bosch is discontinuing their older jigsaw which still is a very fine jigsaw and you may be able to pick one up at a nice discount and also that Sears has a clone of that Bosch model that others here in the forum have been buying for about the price you see on the B&D model on clearance. The Home Depot Rigid jigsaw is also well regarded and is now $99 and comes with a liftime warranty. Good luck. --- Steve

    Comment

    • vaking
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2005
      • 1428
      • Montclair, NJ, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3100-1

      #3
      I can confirm some of what Steve said:
      Craftsman 27719 is being discontinued (it is basically same as Bosch jig saw 1587). Regular price around $140. Clearance price varies by store but easily gets below $50 at Sears stores. I used cheap Chienese make before - big difference. As for the tools by Skill - they are very unpredicatble. I have a skill circular saw and it does a decent job, I have no problems with it and no plans to upgrade. I had a Skill 3x18 belt sander by Skill - total junk. I got fed-up long ago, threw it in the dumpster and bought a Ryobi 3x21. Great tool.
      Alex V

      Comment

      • LYU370
        Established Member
        • Mar 2005
        • 215
        • Streamwood, IL.

        #4
        The Dragster is a B&D isn't it? I got one a few months back, works fairly well, no complaints. Got it on sale at Menards for like $49 if I remember.
        Andy

        Comment

        Working...