• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Aimlesssoul
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2005
    • Illinois, Will County

I need help...

I know I posted this over on Woodnet but I am looking for additional information. Here it is, buy a Ridgid TS3650 @20% off and a with 75 gift card for $364.20 + tax or buy the Crafstman 22124 for $499 NIB on CLOSE OUT. Yes that price is correct, it is a close out not hot or a joke. Reading the forum at Woodnet there seems to be an issue with the Craftsman arbor and using a SD206 dado (not enough arbor length???) Help.
    I am in shape. Round is a shape!
  • wassaw998
    • Jul 2004
    • Atlanta, GA, USA.

Where are you getting that close out on the 22124? is that a local deal ? Personally, I'd go for the CM 22124 @ $499 and not ever look back.

I read the woodnet post and do not see any real issues. One guy was just saying the arbor had an odd size, and then that was even disputed. I am not sure about the arbor length, but have never read that is an issue, but if you are really concerned take a dado stack and see if you can get it all on the saw in the store before you buy it. Even if you could not get a full stack on the saw, I am not sure that would really bug me much. Its a very good saw, I have read so many good reviews it is not even funny, like I said, I'd not hesitate to get the 22124 at the price you are quoting. I'd only add in a caveat, and be sure you are talking about the 22124 (the "cabinet" /hybrid) and not one of the other 2 models.
    Last edited by wassaw998; 03-31-2006, 11:24 AM.
    Chris

Comment

• Toolhound
      Forum Newbie
      • Mar 2006

Aimless

The thread on woodnet is referring to the Freud SD608 Dial a width dado blade and the arbor not being long enough to use that blade at it's maximum setting. It is entirely possible that the Rigid may have the same issue (also some Rigids had a different problem with the arbor shoulder & threads that caused standard stacked dados to produce nonflat bottoms - Rigid provided replacement arbors last year). I don't believe that the Woodnet issue exits when using a standard stacked dado set such as the SD206 that you refered to on the 22124.
      The 22124 is a terrific saw and for an additional $139 is a far better value than the Rigid. The Biesmeyer fence on the 22124 alone is worth $300 ~ 400 on it's own, also you get solid extensions, a larger top, a slightly more powerful motor that is enclosed as opposed to hanging out the back. The 22124 is also considerably heavier (~378 lbs) which tends to reduce vibration.

Comment

• SteveJ
        Forum Newbie
        • Feb 2006

I've been using my TS3650 for a couple of months now and I love it... am very happy with the it............. Steve

p/s aimlesssoul... is a great handle.

Comment

• Ken Massingale
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Liberty, SC, USA.
          • Ridgid TS3650

I haven't used the Craftsman, but my Ridgid 3650 is the last tablesaw I'll ever need or want. It is terrific. One of the big pluses for me is the 36" cut with the rails in their normal position, and lots of room in front of the blade. I wouldn't trade it for the 22124, no way.
          Ken

Comment

• Knottscott
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2004
            • Rochester, NY.
            • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

At that price I'd get the 22124 in a heartbeat over any contractor saw...no contest. It has several design advantages and few disadvantages, if any to a contractor saw. The advantages are many of the same advantages a full cabinet saw has, except for power, and of course neither is built for commercial use like a cabinet saw. The Biese fence is worth a fair percentage of the asking price. The blade is good too. You're looking at 438# vs 287#. It'll be noticeably more stable. It'll have better DC also. Assuming both have neglible runout, and are properly aligned (both are easy to align), the blade, fence, and miter gauge have the most impact on performance, and that's where the 22124 has significant advantages. The 3650 is a nice saw for the money, but having used both, it doesn't hang with the 22124 IMO.

The issue with the freud dial-a-dado is not limited to the 22124....the Ridgid will face the same problem with it. Most saws have the same length arbor, and most are a tight fit for that dado set. Most stacked dado sets like the SD208 or SD508 will fit fine.
            Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2005
              • York, PA, USA.

I got my 22124 for $399. See threads posted in Bargin alerts. A few of us got sub $500 deals so I believe original poster pricing is for the 22124.

I am selling my Jet JWTS-10JF which is generally considered superior to the Ridgid saw.

I am sure the Ridgid is a great saw, but fence does not come close to the 22124 fence. That fence is a true joy to work with and there is no way you can go wrong getting that saw for $500. Note, they will also generally give you 10% off if you put it on a Sears card.

I do not use a Dial Freud, instead I use a stacking Freud. I have had no problem.

Again, this is so much saw for $500. I have used mine on a range of projects in the last few weeks. Projects range from those using hard maple, mahogany, red oak, fish tail oak to a pine and pressure treated lumber play house I have been working on the last couple days. I have ran into nothing that makes this saw hesitate.

The miter is junk. Plan on a miter gauge up grade. I am using a basic Incra 1000.

Comment

• Andrew Benedetto
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2003
                • SoCal, USA
                • Unisaw w. 52"Bies,22124CM & BT3K

I had a 3650 Ridgid, now a 22124. Not even close in design and build. The beis commercial compared to the ridgid fence(plastic lock broken on most displays ,AL rails, alone is no contest. The std for many years. Cab trunions , cast iron not table zinc, and the power transfer and lack of racking with the contractor 3650 makes it a no contest.
                Just turn the bevel adj. to lock and watch the cab flex outward. The mobile base is very good on the Ridgid.
                Andrew

Comment

• ryan.s
                  • Feb 2006
                  • So Cal
                  • Ridgid TS3650

I recently picked up the 3650 with a HF 20% coupon for a little over $430. No complaints yet. The LSA was a selling point for me. Not sure how good the support for the LSA will be yet but knowing there are avenues I could pursue if something does go wrong with the saw is somewhat reasuring.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2005
                    • Independence, MO, USA.
                    • bt3100

Originally posted by wassaw998
                    Where are you getting that close out on the 22124? is that a local deal ? Personally, I'd go for the CM 22124 @ $499 and not ever look back.

I.
                    Now that Sears is owned by Kmart, they tried going to some wierd stores, Sears "essentials", that is where almost all of these are being closed out.
                    She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• kw
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Feb 2006
                      • Vero Beach, FL, USA.

I had a TS3650 and returned it.... now I am saving for a Craftsman 22124. So if you can get a 22124 at $499 go for it!

kw

Comment

• onedash
                        Veteran Member
                        • Mar 2005
                        • Maryland
                        • Craftsman 22124

Wish Id have got mine for $499. I paid $800 plus I got the 5yr warentee. I love it. Just bought a cut off fence for it today. For $500 it would be hard to pass up a spare. No idea where I would put it. Maybe save it for my son someday. The number 1 reason I chose this was the fence. I asked Grizzly if i could upgrade a fence one one of theirs but they said no. Id have to buy a whole new fence. So i went with this.
                        YOU DONT HAVE TO TRAIN TO BE MISERABLE. YOU HAVE TO TRAIN TO ENDURE MISERY.

Comment

• wassaw998
                          • Jul 2004
                          • Atlanta, GA, USA.

We don't have any "Sears Essentials" out in Atlanta that I am aware of..
                          Chris

Comment

• Toolhound
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Mar 2006

Sears Essentials locator (I hope this link works)

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/dpp.d...seBVCookie=Yes

Comment

• wassaw998
                              • Jul 2004
                              • Atlanta, GA, USA.

Originally posted by Toolhound
                              Sears Essentials locator (I hope this link works)

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/dpp.d...seBVCookie=Yes

Yup - none in GA at all....
                              Chris

Comment

Working...