• Show
Clear All
  • burrellski
    Established Member
    • Dec 2005
    • Saint Joseph, MO.

Harbor Freight 3/4" Pipe Clamps

Harbor Freight 3/4" pipe clamps, ITEM 31255-8VGA, are on sale for $3.49

I have several bar clamps from HF that I have been pleased with, but a co-worker told me to avoid the HF pipe clamps claiming the clutch constantly slips on his.

Does anyone have any experience with the quality of these clamps?

Thanks
    Matt
  • bebop
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2006
    • Chantilly, VA
    • bt3100 of course :)

I got a dozen of that model recently. The clutch seems fine, although I took a second with each one to make sure the plates were lined up right, if the last one slips up a little the clutch doesnt want to grab at all.

The problem I had with mine was that I absolutely couldnt get them to thread onto Lowe's black pipe. I tried several clamps and every piece of pipe I bought and no dice.

I stuck one of the clamps in my pocket and went back to the store. The clamp would thread right on to a 4" nipple. I noticed the threads were tapered a little on the nipple and the steel was harder, so I bought it and used it as a tool to ream the threads on the other clamps. I also bought some unions, and found they would thread onto the Lowes pipe with a lot of effort.

A combination of running the nipple into each clamp and tightening the union onto the pipe to be used and they thread on alright. I think the threads on the HF clamps are a little sloppy from the paint, but I think the lowes pipe threads were the culprit.

So now I have a little clamp starter tool, the 4" nipple with a union threaded on to one end.

Comment

• tfischer
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2003
      • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
      • BT3100

I use a few of the HF clamps -- work just fine, no slippage for me.

-Tim

Comment

• Lustreking
        Forum Newbie
        • Dec 2005
        • Bethlehem, PA, USA.

There are two types of pipe clamps that HF carries.

This one, which is the one that's on sale, works fine for me.

This one, probably slips (I've had some that style, but not from HF and they slipped like crazy).

-S

Comment

• LarryG
          The Full Monte
          • May 2004
          • Off The Back
          • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

And a third ...

They also recently started carrying these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94053

I have some of these; they actually came from Grizzly but they have "Pittsburgh" cast into them. Not too impressed. They're a knock-off of the Rockler Sure-Foots which I also own and IMO are worth their higher cost.

I also have some of the first type above. No complaints, great buy when on sale.
          Larry

Comment

• Boomer_01
            Forum Newbie
            • Feb 2006

I have a pair of the HF 3/4" clamps (HF Item ITEM 3814-0VGA) with the lever clutch and I have not experienced any problem with the clutch failing to engage. In fact I have had more difficulty getting them to release.

Boomer

Comment

• preamble
              Forum Newbie
              • Dec 2005
              • Pittburgh, PA, USA.

I have the ITEM 3814-0VGA ones installed on black pipe from Lowes and have no problem with them slipping or threading on the Lowes pipe.

Comment

• zootroy
                Established Member
                • Oct 2005
                • Coeur D\'Alene, Idaho.

I have a few of the 30756 on Lowes black pipe and they work fine.

Comment

• bebop
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Feb 2006
                  • Chantilly, VA
                  • bt3100 of course :)

once i got mine started on the first few threads on the lowes pipe i had no problems either.

Comment

• LYU370
                    Established Member
                    • Mar 2005
                    • Streamwood, IL.

I noticed that the 1/2" clamps are also on sale for 2.79. What would the longest pipe to use with the 1/2" clamps be? Would they still be OK with say a 3'-4' pipe? Or should I already be using the 3/4" clamps with that length?
                    Andy

Comment

• perpetualapprentice
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Mar 2004
                      • SoCal

No problem here...

Originally posted by LarryG
                      They also recently started carrying these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94053

I have some of these; they actually came from Grizzly but they have "Pittsburgh" cast into them. Not too impressed. They're a knock-off of the Rockler Sure-Foots which I also own and IMO are worth their higher cost.

I also have some of the first type above. No complaints, great buy when on sale.
                      I can't say the Rockler's aren't better but the HF knock-offs have been fine for me. I bought them on sale and used scrap 1/4" ply for homemade "protector" pads. I also have some of the others. 1 out of 4 gave me problems so I took it back and it has happily replaced. No more issues.

Did I miss something about buying pipe at Lowes -- is it a bunch cheaper there?

Comment

• Brian G
                        • Jun 2003
                        • Bloomington, Minnesota.
                        • G0899

I have a passel of the HF 3/4" pipe clamps. They work fine when I use them. They are not the first clamps I grab, though, when I'm gluing up panels.

I've come to prefer the HF aluminum bar clamps because they are lighter, I don't have to worry about discoloration from the pipe, and less of a hassle to put in place.

Playing fast and loose with math, if I had $25 to spend on some type of cheap, but effective clamps for gluing panels, I'd strongly consider the HF adjustable bar clamps that are currently on sale.

You could get four of the 26" ones for only a few dollars more than 4 of the 3/4" clamps plus the pipe.

I don't have any of that style, so I can't provide a review. I have inspected them at the store, and they certainly seem sturdy enough to perform the job.
                        Brian

Comment

• Woody2
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Knuckles

I've come to prefer the HF aluminum bar clamps because they are lighter, I don't have to worry about discoloration from the pipe, and less of a hassle to put in place.

You can prevent discoloration from the pipe by using the galvinized pipe instead of the black pipe. I believe it is slightly more expensive, but it works just as well and doesn't stain your work.

Comment

• ddamoore
                            Established Member
                            • Jun 2003
                            • Oklahoma City, OK, USA.
                            • Craftsman (Ridgid 3612 Clone)

Originally posted by LYU370
                            I noticed that the 1/2" clamps are also on sale for 2.79. What would the longest pipe to use with the 1/2" clamps be? Would they still be OK with say a 3'-4' pipe? Or should I already be using the 3/4" clamps with that length?
                            Andy, I have some of the 1/2" clamps on 36" & 48" pipe, but I do notice some deflection. For the price difference, if you have not already purchased any, I would suggest you move up to the 3/4" clamps. Just my $.02 .
                            Dennis

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects" - Will Rogers

Comment

• perpetualapprentice
                              Forum Newbie
                              • Mar 2004
                              • SoCal

Originally posted by Woody2
                              You can prevent discoloration from the pipe by using the galvinized pipe instead of the black pipe. I believe it is slightly more expensive, but it works just as well and doesn't stain your work.
                              Or short lengths of foam pipe insulation. Leave it on the pipe or just keep enough handy to prevent marring, etc.

Comment

Working...