• Show
Clear All
  • sacherjj
    Not Your Average Joe
    • Dec 2005
    • Indianapolis, IN, USA.
    • BT3100-1

TurboCAD Deals

I know there is occational talk here about CAD software. I registered for downloading a trial version of TurboCAD from thier website (turbocad.com). Yesterday, I was contacted via telephone about a special offer to celebrate their 20th Anniversary this February. It looks like the offer is on the front page of their site. $99 for TurboCAD Deluxe, plus symbols and training CDs. Might be of interest to some. I was able to get an earlier version from a friend who wasn't using it anymore, but this may be worth it to get the tutorial CDs as well.
    Last edited by sacherjj; 02-16-2006, 09:19 AM.
    Joe Sacher
  • wouldchuck
    Forum Newbie
    • Sep 2005
    • Richmond, VA, USA.

Anyone interested in low-cost CAD software should definitely check out CAD Standard. They offer a true freeware version with no strings attached, and the pro upgrade is very reasonable. Most importantly the software is great, easy to learn and use.
    Here is the link to the freeware version:
    http://www.cadstd.com/lite.php

Comment

• psal2
      Established Member
      • Mar 2005
      • Mechanicsburg, PA, USA.

$25 for the Pro...I need to try the free version. I got an older Turbo CAD cheap off ebay about a year ago and never really played around that much with it. But there are too many things to be looked at in DXF that need cad and this might be nice to learn in the future.
      Thanks,
      Pete

Comment

• tfischer
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2003
        • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
        • BT3100

I started a cad thread a few weeks ago. I downloaded a trial of TurboCad and couldn't even get it to draw a simple cabinet I was trying to build. The consensus was that most people here just use pencil and paper, unless they're fluent in CAD via their jobs...

I'll ask the question again -- how does one become fluent enough in TurboCad (or another lower-cost software package) to do basic furniture projects, without investing days or weeks learning it?

-Tim

Comment

• Imadunatic
          Established Member
          • Feb 2005
          • Barryton, Mi, USA.

Originally posted by tfischer
          I started a cad thread a few weeks ago. I downloaded a trial of TurboCad and couldn't even get it to draw a simple cabinet I was trying to build. The consensus was that most people here just use pencil and paper, unless they're fluent in CAD via their jobs...

I'll ask the question again -- how does one become fluent enough in TurboCad (or another lower-cost software package) to do basic furniture projects, without investing days or weeks learning it?

-Tim
          If you could get your hands on a tutorial, that would be the ticket.
          I honestly dont know about this tutorial but i know the one i took at work for our
          solid modeling software was fantastic. If you have any basic knowledge of Mechanical Desktop or AutoCad, then these are an easy transition.
          (or if you know anybody attending college you can sometimes get Lite versions or keep a backup copy of the schools Cad program on your computer)

Kevin
          \"Run Varnish, Runnnnnn\"

Comment

• Stytooner
            Roll Tide RIP Lee
            • Dec 2002
            • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
            • BT3100

Turbocad tutes.

Here are some tutorials for Turbo that I have found very valuable.

http://www.caddigest.com/subjects/tu.../tutorials.htm

http://www.textualcreations.ca/CAD%20Page.html

http://www.imsisoft.com/support/turb...umentation.asp

Download the TurboCAD v7 Audio Visual Training module 1 IMPERIAL(41 mb).
            This is a video that shws exactly how to use the most basic of features to draw up a cell phone. Try this one first to get your feet wet.
            Lee

Comment

• tribalwind
              • Feb 2004
              • long island, ny.

ive played with turbocad a bit, its nice ,im just spoiled on autodesk software i guess,

any other cad-monkeys on AutoCAD 2006 out there?
              quite a lot has changed, i use it at work and theres a few new features that've been saving me time left and right..
              we're an audio-visual/lighting/theater design and installation integrator company.
              namaste, matthew http://www.tribalwind.com

Comment

• just4funsies
                • Dec 2005
                • Florida.
                • BT3000

I have AutoCad 2006, but can't get much out of it until I modify several critical AutoLisp routines that quit working on '06. I won't really use most of the new '06 features; I just upgraded for compatibility with my clients.
                ...eight, nine, TEN! Yep! Still got all my fingers!

Comment

• tribalwind
                  • Feb 2004
                  • long island, ny.

just4,
                  i guess your coming up from 2000? 2k4 to 2k6 is all the same format i believe.

your client's draftsmen will really appreciate not having to always "save down" for you
                  (AMHIK)
                  namaste, matthew http://www.tribalwind.com

Comment

• Penzance
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Oct 2004
                    • Montco, PA, USA.

Acad 2006

This is off topic, but the way you customise Acad changed greatly between 2004 and 2006 because of the CUI. We still have some routines that need to be updated. One also needs to look at existing drawings/standards as well and update them to support the new features like table styles, etc.

I've been dealing with Autocad updates for 21 years now, so it's not like I haven't had to redo things before...
                    Derek

"33 M to P" according to the marker by the road...

Comment

• just4funsies
                      • Dec 2005
                      • Florida.
                      • BT3000

Tribal,

I'm not THAT out of step (V2002). I have a fortune in time and money tied up in custom AutoLisp routines, and I lose several of them every time I upgrade (nearly 20 of them just in this upgrade). My deadlines usually won't stop coming long enough for me to debug code for a week every time it happens. It's not just syntax, either... entire Autolisp functions simply disappear from the language whenever they issue an upgrade. Don't know why they can't just maintain support for older code, as I don't need any of the new. I guess that's PROGRESS...
                      ...eight, nine, TEN! Yep! Still got all my fingers!

Comment

• tfischer
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jul 2003
                        • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
                        • BT3100

Thanks for the tutorial links -- I'll have to check them out. Problem is, I'm lazy and don't want to invest hours and hours into learning the program before I actually get to do anything with it. Now if I could spend an hour or so learning the bare minimum, and then just take it slow and learn as I go doing 'real' work, that would be cool. But TurboCad doesn't seem like that's the type of program I could do that...

And I have NO other CAD experience -- I'm a software geek by day, not a drafter or mechanical engineer...

-Tim

Comment

• wouldchuck
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Sep 2005
                          • Richmond, VA, USA.

Originally posted by tfischer
                          Thanks for the tutorial links -- I'll have to check them out. Problem is, I'm lazy and don't want to invest hours and hours into learning the program before I actually get to do anything with it. Now if I could spend an hour or so learning the bare minimum, and then just take it slow and learn as I go doing 'real' work, that would be cool. But TurboCad doesn't seem like that's the type of program I could do that...

And I have NO other CAD experience -- I'm a software geek by day, not a drafter or mechanical engineer...

-Tim
                          Cad Standard is a really good starter program. My brother is a mechanical engineer who spends most of his waking hours using Autodesk, and he was able to teach me the rudiments, but I much prefer Cad Standard. It is not as powerful, but it is much more intuitive, and it comes with a first-class tutorial.

I'm attaching a screenshot of a plan I'm working on for a new workbench. This program doesn't have different fastener sizes or thread sizes built in to it, but then again it's much easier to learn.

Try it, you'll like it! www.cadstd.com
                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...