• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • poormansgoat
    Forum Newbie
    • Oct 2005
    • Murfreesboro, TN, USA.

B&D Quantum Pro

forgive me I'm new... anyone have any favorable experience with Black and Decker Cordless Drills? Wal Mart has an 18 volt Quantum Pro with 2 batteries for $40.00, down from $99.00 I bought a Craftmans 14.4 V, that was a waste of cash due to PITIFUL performance. I then bought a Dewalt 12 Volt on closeout for $62.99, with 1 battery(mistake). An extra battery is in the 45.00-60.00 range. I was curious if the 18 volt B&D might compare to the 12 volt Dewalt?
  • final_t
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2003

I have the 18v Firestorm from B&D. It works just fine, but DON'T DROP IT.
    (Part of the reason I have it is because of the radio charger, and the 18v circ saw and the cordless weedwhacker all use the same batteries)

Comment

• r.palmer
      Forum Newbie
      • Jul 2005
      • Tampa, Florida, USA.

I have had two of the B&D's, the first generation had a switch for a low and high speed, better for screw driving, it was nice, with the removeable chuck, for hurricane prep, it died, they have one weakness, if you use a spade bit, and get a bind up, you can kill the gears in them. I had the radio charger and the two batteries so I got ANOTHER one, not happily before cane season, the current one has a variable speed which is more of a pain for screw driving, and no high low switch, and looks and feels cheaper. It works, I like the radio, it ran during power outages last year. I have an 18 volt Ryobi drill and saw combo, and the drill is much stronger, but its heavier. You cannot have a better emergency set up than a saw and drill combo with spare batts. I sure used them for repairs while the power was out. I know the Ryobi is a stronger drill, but I do use the B&D on a ladder, its light, handy, but its build strength is suspect for heavy drilling. I never had a Ryobi die on me.

Comment

• Tom Slick
        Veteran Member
        • May 2005
        • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
        • sears BT3 clone

I have a 14.4v quantum pro and it gave decent service. it withstood the abuse I have thrown at it. it isn't worth the original price I payed for it but you are not going to get a better drill for $40. it should be better than the 12v dewalt and better than any of the current firestorm stuff.
        in case you didn't know dewalt and B&D are the same company
        Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• Stuporman
          Forum Newbie
          • Aug 2004
          • Long Beach, NY, USA.

I have the 18V Quantum Pro, which I bought at Wal-Mart at the original $99.00. I've used it quite a bit,and have had no trouble with it. Originally I regretted not spending a little more and getting a better brand with better torque numbers, but I have had no reason yet to replace this. I've used it with spade, auger and hole saw bits and it's done the job. It has a hammer drill function that has come in handy for drilling through tile and thinset. The extra battery is an absolute necessity with any cordless drill, and at $40, this one's a bargain.

Comment

• Stytooner
            Roll Tide RIP Lee
            • Dec 2002
            • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
            • BT3100

I've not had any experience with the cordless Quantum's, but I have had the circlar saw for about 10 years. I did pay $99 back then and it is still one fine saw. Its not a Milwalkee or Makita, but it equals any I've seen made by Dewalt. I highly recommend that if it starts going on sale too.
            Lee

Comment

• Chuck In Oregon
              Forum Newbie
              • Jan 2005
              • Cottage Grove, Oregon, USA.

<<anyone have any favorable experience with Black and Decker Cordless Drills?>>

I bought the B&D "Firestorm" 18v (I think) combo kit at Costco a couple of years ago for about $150 or so. The tools, while pretty lightweight, worked perfectly fine for a homeowner-hobbyist like me.

HOWEVER ... the charger was absolutely awful. I mean, it could hardly have been any worse. Finally I took the kit back for a refund. I then bought the better Panasonic 12v drill and I still don't have a combo kit.

To me, this is like the set of Firestone 500 tires that came with a new Ford I bought in 1971. I had a sidewall blowout in less than 1,000 miles. Who knows, maybe Firestone makes a great tire these days, but they'll never get another dollar of my money. I'd rather walk. Once bitten and all that.

OTOH, at $40 for a drill, charger and two batteries you don't have much to lose, and you won't get a sidewall blowout either.

Just my two cents, and worth every penny.

Chuck

Comment

• buckeye
                Forum Newbie
                • Jan 2003
                • Howell, MI, USA.

How did you find it for $40? Was it on sale? I stopped by my local Walmart and it was at the regular $99.63 price. I even did a price check. I'm looking to replace my 12V B&D Firestorm because the charger quit working and before that the batteries weren't lasting very long between charges. I've never been very happy with it but I'm sure the 18V Quantum Pro has to be a step or 2 above the one I have.
                The truth is not always popular but it is always right.

Comment

• poormansgoat
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Oct 2005
                  • Murfreesboro, TN, USA.

Clearanced at Walmart in Murfreesboro, TN. I like my 12 volt XRP Dewalt, just can't find a non-retail price(Retail $59.00) on the needed extra battery. Thought for the $40, I could go that route instead... Been obsessing over KREG/pocket hole joinery stuff since posting. Gonna see today if still avail. Thanks for all the input. Too many good deals to chase and not enough money/time. Mostly money.

Comment

• charliex
                    • Mar 2004
                    • Spring Valley, MN, USA.
                    • Sears equivelent BT3100-1

Long story here. Years ago I bought a Sears 12 volt drill ($100)and my son got a DW 12 volt($170). The Sears drill died so I bought another ($100). I now have 2 chargers and 4 battries. Two of the battries were weak and one fried within 6 months. Then both chargers died within 2 months of each other. No more sears cordless tools. I then got a BD 14.4 combo kit ($129). Drill lasted about 6 months. I bought another BD 14.4 drill $69). I now have 3 chargers and 5 battries. In less than a year all the battries were weak or dead, two chargers and one of the drills bit the dust. I have now replaced them with Ridgid 18 and 14.4's AND here is the punch line. My son is still using his DeWalt.
                    I spent about $338 Ken spent $179. Mine is in the trash and his is "still going". When I complaind to a B&D rep. all he could say is "Expensive lesson wasn't it?"
                    Chas

Comment

• messmaker
                      Veteran Member
                      • May 2004
                      • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
                      • Ridgid 2424

Charlie, I am sorry but sounds like you have had some bad luck. I have only had one cordless drill die on me(I have 6) and that goes back to a 6volt model that was not far from top power at the time. I have a B&D 9.6v that has got to be at least 10 years old(it is blue if that tells you anything).You get good and bad of everything.
                      spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

• psal2
                        Established Member
                        • Mar 2005
                        • Mechanicsburg, PA, USA.

quote:Originally posted by Stuporman

I have the 18V Quantum Pro, which I bought at Wal-Mart at the original $99.00. I've used it quite a bit,and have had no trouble with it. Originally I regretted not spending a little more and getting a better brand with better torque numbers, but I have had no reason yet to replace this. I've used it with spade, auger and hole saw bits and it's done the job. It has a hammer drill function that has come in handy for drilling through tile and thinset. The extra battery is an absolute necessity with any cordless drill, and at $40, this one's a bargain.
                        I totally agree with this assessment. I purchased it at $99 and thought that it was a very good drill for the price. At $40, it is a steal.
                        Thanks,
                        Pete

Comment

Working...