An incredible car collection in a tiny town.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • knotley
    Established Member
    • Apr 2003
    • Canada.

An incredible car collection in a tiny town.

• woodturner
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2008
    • Western Pennsylvania
    • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

"This content is not available outside of Canada." - which means most of us can't view it.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• knotley
      Established Member
      • Apr 2003
      • Canada.

Here is a short older version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHUKJr2kvoc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOPw_grOWn4

Comment

• Pappy
        The Full Monte
        • Dec 2002
        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 (x2)

Impressive collection. We have a car museum here that belongs to a man that won the Great American Race 5 times. Mostly older vehicles. (Early 50's and back)
        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
        Fools because they have to say something.
        Plato

Comment

• os1kne
          • Jan 2003
          • Atlanta, GA
          • BT3100

Very impressive collection! Particularly considering the location - Newfoundland. It would be difficult to build a collection of that caliber anywhere.
          Bill

Comment

• cwsmith
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2005
            • NY Southern Tier, USA.
            • BT3100-1

Years ago when I lived in Painted Post and worked for Ingersoll-Rand, I had a work acquaintance who lived in a community further south of us. Dewey was a collector of things and he once asked if I'd come down on a Saturday morning to takes some slide pictures of some of his stamp collection from which he was going to give a lecture in Elmira. It was sort of a dumpy old house and I was beginning to wonder about him when he mentioned that the place I was in was actually his "hobby house", filled with all kinds of stuff. (I was wondering how anyone could live in the midst of stuff stacked everywhere you could see.)

Well, come to find out, he actually lived in this very nice house next door and this place was where he kept his "collectables". I took keen notice of the old car which was in the attached garage and mentioned it too him. I don't remember exactly what it was after all these years, but it was something he had just acquired and was from the early 20's IIRC. big sedan with a canvas roof, worn bolstered leather seat and rather large heavy spoked tires.

He joked about what a mess it was, but mentioned he hadn't had much time to work on it yet... then said, "Do you want to see my other cars?" Across the street was a long, metal clad building with at least six or so garage doors. It looked rather new and I had thought that it was perhaps just a rental facility of some kind. Well, it belonged to Dewey and inside there were several very old cars from the 30's back into the 20's. All of them he had gathered from one place or another in the area and had restored them. Beautiful collection.

In Painted Post, we had a local lady (Ms. Potter). Unmarried and in her mid 80's I'm guessing. (One doesn't ask a lady her age.) This was in the mid-90's and my wife and I used take evening strolls around the village. We had seen Ms. Potter drove this 1968 Plymouth Belvedere station wagon. At that time it had to be close to twenty years old and yet it was in absolutely showroom condition, with not a mark on it. I remarked one evening about how nice here car was kept and she commenced to tell me that she had bought it new and that she did all of her own maintenance, oil changes, etc.... remarking that she never took it to anyone for service. After almost and hour of discussion about the 68', she asked me if I wanted to see "her baby". Not quite sure what she meant by that, I expressed my curiosity and she took Patty and I back to her garage. There under some blankets was a 1920's Model T (IIRC) coupe..... with "Red Wheels" as she joyfully remarked. It was the first car she bought as a young lady, back when she graduated. She told us her father had helped her buy it. I didn't get to see the inside as it was by then early evening and it was getting dark; but from what I could see, it was immaculate.

There were a few cars spotted in and around that community over the years, including a MG C-model which a neighbor had stored in their garage. Their son had bought it just before going to Vietnam... he never returned. That car had sat there for decades, up on jack stands and covered. It finally went to the new son-in-law when they decided to retire and move to Florida.

Dewey and Ms. Potter are long passed I'm sure. I have no idea what happened to their collections, but I find it interesting to wonder. It is surprising what gems can be found in some small communities. Little treasures tucked away in someone's garage. Collectibles from old interests, youth, and family long passed.

CWS
            Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

Working...