Clear All
  • woodturner
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2008
    • Western Pennsylvania
    • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by leehljp
    I originally posted this above:
    First, no one will buy at the jacked up prices during normal times! That puts the onus (for the reason) squarely on the fact of taking advantage of those under duress, stress and who have no recourse. The gouging model doesn't stand up or work in a civilized culture except for those few whom the gougers can catch unsuspectingly or those under extreme duress..
    As I pointed out earlier, the "jacked up" prices ARE paid during normal times, for some things. I really think the issue is more perception, it's not really that people care that the company selling them a cell phone is making a 200% profit, it's that the price today is higher than it was yesterday.

People are often under stress, but still have choices.

All that I can say is that this army of trained and certified volunteers trump the purist model of gouging. And it works.
    I agree that volunteers may be a better option, but don't see it as an "either-or" situation.

My personal conclusions, after this discussion, and carefully considering all the positions, is that help and support should really come from the churches and humanitarian organizations, and that there really is not any "price gouging", just free enterprise at work, and that those who are "gouged" are making poor choices and blaming others rather than taking personal responsibility for their choices.
    Last edited by woodturner; 09-12-2017, 06:00 AM.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• cwsmith
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • NY Southern Tier, USA.
      • BT3100-1

I'm really sorry that is all that you came away with from this discussion. ("that those who are "gouged" are making poor choices and blaming others rather than taking personal responsibility for their choices".)

I wouldn't think that a person would have to go through a disaster or to even witness one in order to feel for the plight of others during a disaster. Perhaps it's only a matter of perspective; but if that is so, where does one have to stand in order to have such a view? I'm not a church-going Christian, I'm just a human being with feeling and was brought up to always help those who have less than I; and that's not necessarily a matter of money, as much as it is a matter of situation at the time. One often has the ability to step-up, to assist, to offer a hand. It matters little whether that is to help someone by the side of the road, a person struggling with a door, jumping a car battery, or shoveling someone out in the midst of a storm.

We as individuals should have a sense of responsibility toward others. It matters not what their color, religion, physical attributes, their riches or their impoverished state. It is a matter of simply being a good person, and having the self esteem to know that at that moment of need, you are there to share your abilities and thus help. Help is just that, an effort to assist others in their moment of need; help in the midst of disaster should never, ever be done for self profit, as money or favor.

I understand that our views differ, but it is what it is. However, I just can't view those that get "gouged" as being suckers to those willing to take advantage.

CWS
      Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

Working...