X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sailor55330
    Established Member
    • Jan 2010

I killed it

My HF Multi-Tool. I've been using it a lot lately for sanding my deck rails. In aggregate, it has probably run 15-20 hours in the last week, usually in increments of 2-3 hours at a time. It finally died yesterday. The motor still runs, but at a reduced rpm and the oscillations have stopped, so something internal has snapped. All in all, the product is about 3-4 years old and honestly, I've beat the snot out of it. Given that I only paid $16 for it, I really don't have any complaints on the tool life. I bought it knowing that it was basically a "disposable" tool if you will---meaning there were no expectations of long life. It actually has served me well and I feel I got more than my money's worth from it.

FWIW, I also killed a ROS from HF last time I did a deck. For me, this just proves that some things from HF are pretty good, provided you remember your initial investment.
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

Very true. I have no problem using HF tools if they are used less often or I know they will get heavy usage for a specific project. As you say the cost is usually very low and built into the overall cost of a project like a deck or new bathroom its fine to think of them as disposable. When I know I need a higher level of performance, function, capability and longevity I go with the best I can afford.
    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com

Comment

• cwsmith
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • NY Southern Tier, USA.
      • BT3100-1

Like maybe my (the best that I could afford) Ridgid JobMax cordless... that didn't last a year, and probably had less than a half-dozen hours on it total. Batteries were a total disaster and even the warranty replacements were failures. At slightly over a $100, I definitely didn't get my money's worth.

CWS
      Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• sailor55330
        Established Member
        • Jan 2010

ON the flip side, I replaced the multi-tool today with another from HF-----it came without any accessories, hex key, or bolt to hold accessories on......and it died after 30 seconds of use. 70 mile round trip to replace. Now I'm in the hole.

Comment

• Pappy
          The Full Monte
          • Dec 2002
          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 (x2)

My favorite HF 'disposal' is a 4 1/2" grinder. ~$15 on sale and they hold up to about a year of abuse.
          Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
          Fools because they have to say something.
          Plato

Comment

• JimD
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2003
            • Lexington, SC.

I'm on my second HF multi tool too. First one lasted years and wasn't babied. I think the first one was my first HF casualty.

Comment

Working...