• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Tax time. TaxAct Deal on State and Federal efile

I used to do our taxes by hand until we started having kids and investments then switched to TurboTax. I used them for many years and last year switched to TaxAct because of price. This year I was about to do them "manually" but the IRS' free fillable form affiliate has a horrible website and I got frustrated using their site that I decided to go back to TaxAct.

Anyway, we don't qualify for any free filing so I always try to get a deal. I have an account on a site called ebates.com. You go to their portal first and search for an online vendor. If that vendor partners with ebates, you get a small percentage back on the purchase. For example, I just bought a new gas blower from Amazon (Amazon only gives % back on some categories) and for this purchase, I'm getting almost $6 back from ebates--they mail checks twice a year.

So TaxAct has a deal through ebates now. It's called the TaxAct Premium Bundle. It's $10 for Federal AND State efile. I was dubious because I think Federal alone for TaxAct is something like $25. Well, at checkout tonight, it was just $10 for both.

Hope that helps some of you other last minute filers! I've owed Federal for the past several years but always get a state refund. This is the first year that I can remember that I'll get back more than I owe. No tools with that money, though. Getting new tires. No fun.

Disclaimer. I have no vested interest in ebates or tax act, just happy to share the deal. You will probably have to create an ebates account to get the deal, though.
    Last edited by atgcpaul; 04-10-2016, 10:49 PM.
  • woodturner
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2008
    • Western Pennsylvania
    • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

I have used the free version of TaxAct for many years - in spite of what they say, it works regardless of income level.

For the first time this year, Schedule D is not included in the free version. That's a show-stopper for me, so I am using open source tax software for the first time this year. FWIW, seems to work very well, maybe better than TaxAct, and no fighting to get TaxAct to do what you want it to do.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• tfischer
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2003
      • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
      • BT3100

I've used TaxAct for maybe 5 years now. Usually costs around $15-20 including state and federal e-files and a basic 1040 return including Schedules A, C, etc. This year their prices seem to have gone up considerably, but they grandfathered me into the old price at least for this year, not sure about next.

I'm a software engineer by day and use a ton of open source software, but the concept of open-source tax software scares me just a bit...

Comment

• woodturner
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 2008
        • Western Pennsylvania

Originally posted by tfischer
        I'm a software engineer by day and use a ton of open source software, but the concept of open-source tax software scares me just a bit...
        There are also spreadsheets available, or IRS has fillable pdf forms.

If you have a simple 1040 or 1040A form, the free versions work well - as long as you don't need sch D. The online version still offers sch D for free, but has all the risks of online.

If you know what you are doing and what forms to complete, the open source or spreadsheet versions are quicker and easier to use. No fighting with the tax software to get it to do what you want, no 27 upgrades to get somewhat working software, no refilling to correct errors, no figuring out how to fix the errors in the commercial software, etc.

Given all the errors I have seen on tax forms prepared with the commercial software, I still feed the need to check the final forms manually. If you are going to do that anyway, there is really no more risk to the open source or spreadsheet forms.

The only thing you give up is the efile option and the "guarantee" - but that seems to be essentially uncollectable anyway.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2005
          • Independence, MO, USA.
          • bt3100

Originally posted by woodturner
          I have used the free version of TaxAct for many years - in spite of what they say, it works regardless of income level.

That's a show-stopper for me, so I am using open source tax software for the first time this year.

Uhm, could you actually tell us what the name of this open source tax software is, or a link?
          I know a few years ago, there was a deal signed for the tax info to be given to closed source software companies, so they could profit from it, and giving the data ahead of time to open source software was prohibited. (so they would have to be playing catchup, or filing FIA requests).

My concern is multifold, as I wonder if you are mixing "freeware" (free to use software, which is the same concept as using an employer provided computer), with open source software (you have the rights to modify that software).
          She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• woodturner
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2008
            • Western Pennsylvania

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
            Uhm, could you actually tell us what the name of this open source tax software is, or a link?
            Sure, it's open source tax solver http://opentaxsolver.sourceforge.net/ It does the calculations and fills out the forms, but it does not do the Q&A like the commercial software. BTW, the windows form fill-out doesn't seem to work with Adobe, but the Windows generated file can be opened in Linux and used to fill out the forms (just a few clicks, don't have to enter any more information).

As noted, it's really for those who know how to do their taxes - if you need help with the taxes, the commercial software may be a better option. Of course the commercial software is "conservative" and likely will not achieve the minimum legal tax. It's usually within a few hundred dollars though.

I know a few years ago, there was a deal signed for the tax info to be given to closed source software companies, so they could profit from it, and giving the data ahead of time to open source software was prohibited.
            Have not heard that, and it sounds illegal, but I don't have any direct knowledge one way or the other.

I wonder if you are mixing "freeware" (free to use software, which is the same concept as using an employer provided computer), with open source software (you have the rights to modify that software).
            No, definitely open source. TaxAct would be freeware, I suppose, but this is definitely open source. Makes it easy to fix bugs if found, unlike the commercial software.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2005
              • Independence, MO, USA.
              • bt3100

Questions I can easily get answers fro (know several people who work for the IRS and what ones to trust advice from).
              I read about it on a legal site (think it may have been Groklaw sometime back), and figured some group would file suit. Nice to see some software out there, as Adobe dropped Acrobat fro Linux some time ago, so unless someone has an old one lying about and it isn't incompatible with some new version of their fillable tax form, as a Linux user, I can't use fillable forms. (either print and fill or fill a non calculating form with something like Scribus, which has been described as Kludgey at best).
              Thank you for the link!!!
              She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

Working...