Clear All
  • ArtworksIII
    Forum Newbie
    • Mar 2015
    • Spokane Wa
    • Craftsman

I've been across the web as ArtworksIII

Hello guys.
    I'm the fellow believes modeling and wood work are great chat. And it's true wherever I go on the web I wish to show an old hobby. I took up this hobby because it's much less costly than plastic kits. And had equipment sitting idle so I got myself some drawings from a friends aircraft and he could have a way to design a paint scheme on a actual model. I'll dig the first try out and post later. I like showing and that's why I'm here.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Quickie A.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	800883
  • ArtworksIII
    Forum Newbie
    • Mar 2015
    • Spokane Wa
    • Craftsman

Did find this as well as an error in my archive system. This model has been dropped, thrown, pushed, pulled then stowed. I've been on carving forums where folks like to look but comments are few and far between. Philippine models are the standard although I don't believe being carved in mahogany is anything more than a reason to inflate pricing. As I stated a few times all my works are the finest scrap bits. Some of you grew up in a time when recognition models were necessary 40's war time. The above drawings are the same used in creating this model. This model was built in 2004.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150716_065537.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.92 MB
ID:	787311
    Last edited by ArtworksIII; 07-16-2015, 09:23 AM. Reason: information

Comment

• cwsmith
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • NY Southern Tier, USA.
      • BT3100-1

As an 'arm chair' aviation enthusiast I find your work pretty darn nice. I was born in 1944 and my interests have been mostly older prop-driven aircraft.

I fell in love with airplanes in general and one of my earliest memories was of an old biplane which had made a landing on a back road down in North Carolina. I was just in awe of that thing as we sat there watching the pilot and a couple of passerby's moving it over to the side to let the traffic by. I think I was only six or seven at the time.

That led me to building plastic and balsa-wood models. Used to be you could buy those for 15 to 35 cents, depending on the complexity. I used to hang them from the ceiling of my bedroom. Back then, you could also buy flash cards, much like baseball cards. I used to have a lot of that kind of stuff, all of which is long gone I'm afraid.

I joined Civil Air Patrol in 1958 (I was 14) and took my first 'orientation' flight that fall. It was a Piper J3 with a refitted engine (a bit more HP). That was back when Deposit, NY used to have an airfield. (So many little communities used to have those during the 30's, 40's, and 50's.) I spent 11 years in CAP and had the opportunity to fly in a lot of airplanes, including a few flights in C-47's. My Group had an L-4 (similar to a J-3 Cub) and we could fly that for only $7 a tac-hour.... Boy, that was long ago!

After marriage in 67, my CAP (and aircraft) time diminished rapidly... as my focus needed to be on my career and marriage. After our son arrived in 69, I gave up such adventures. Today, my 'aviation' is pretty much restricted to my book collection and the occasional air show. I find myself surprisingly still able to quickly recognize most of these early aircraft... what we used to call "spotting".

So, I usually read your post with interest. I find it interesting that you can hold the balanced symmetry required in your modeling of fuselages and wing surfaces. Pretty nice work for sure and I admire your skills.

Thanks,

CWS
      Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

Working...