• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sailor55330
    Established Member
    • Jan 2010

Ideas fro protecting an engraved plaque outdoors

Hi All,

I am looking for the best way to "protect" an engraved plaque outdoors. It's a small basic metal name plaque that I need to protect on a set of windchimes. I don't know anything about the metal quality (it was done at Things Remembered). They said it would need to be "sealed". LOML bought this and now I have to figure it out. I tried some basic outdoor varnish on it before mounting, but I wasn't crazy about how it was drying. I tried a quick google search and there isn't much that is easy to find out there. I was thinking either clear spray lacquer or maybe Shellac? Open to all ideas.

Thanks
  • trungdok
    Established Member
    • Oct 2012
    • MA

clear spray poly should work. I would probably not use shellac for outdoor pieces.

Comment

• Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

There are spray coatings to keep polished brass from tarnishing. I made valve caps out of .45 cartridges and sealed them with some and they are holding up fine. The one I used I think was called "Brass Kote" that I got at Hobby Lobby. Not sure how it would hold up to constant exposure to sunlight.
      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
      Fools because they have to say something.
      Plato

Comment

• cwsmith
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • NY Southern Tier, USA.
        • BT3100-1

Both shellac and lacquer are subject to moisture damage under normal outside conditions. I'm not familiar with "Brass Kote", as Pappy suggested; but if it's formulated for outdoor protection, then that is the way I'd go... just read the label. Outdoor "poly" should also work okay depending on your weather. If you are located in an area where temperatures drop substantially, you will probably have to be concerned with shrinkage or cracking of the whatever coating/sealant over time unless the coating is designed for temperature extremes.

CWS
        Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

Working...