X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mpc
    • Feb 2005
    • Cypress, CA, USA.
    • BT3000 orig 13amp model

When opening the bleed valve prior to squeezing the caliper piston back in, I have a hose on the bleeder port to direct the fluid to the catch jar. I'd never open a bleeder port without a hose on it - besides the risk of brake fluid getting onto new brake pads (which will contaminate them and ruin them) it's too easy to have a splash of brake fluid land on a painted surface. Bye-bye paint.

As for replacing the caliper or not at each pad change... look at how the old pads wore. If they wore evenly - left pad compared to right pad AND even with the pads on the opposite side of the car - then the caliper and slide bolts are fairly healthy. I clean and re-lube the slide bolts and inspect the rubber bellows on the caliper: any splits/tears lets road grime and water into the piston area which will A) grind at the seal ring between piston and caliper and B) promote caliper-jamming rust. If I think the bellows looks at all worn (signs of cracking even if there are none that have become holes), or if the piston shows sign of grit/rust (meaning crap got in there...) then the caliper gets a rebuild kit and complete cleaning. If the caliper bore shows signs of internal rust damage I'll replace it. Rust on the piston usually wipes right off with light emery paper plus brake cleaner - at least on the few vehicles I've actually had to clean - since the pistons have a plated surface coating to give them a smooth and hard low-wearing surface (clearly I've never seen one of those F-150 calipers!). Obviously, if I have to do anything to the caliper or piston that means they have to be removed from the vehicle and a full brake bleeding job is coming. Though I usually bleed the system anyway after any pad/shoe change to get clean/fresh fluid in there as preventative maintenance. Brake fluid is cheap.

Now, I live in SoCal so winter ice/snow and road salts are not something my cars have to deal with. Constant exposure to crud/contaminates may be too big of a challenge for the rubber bellows seals leading to caliper problems - especially in super-cold conditions where the rubber parts may stiffen. Either that or the brake fluid gets contaminated rapidly promoting caliper rust. I wonder if more frequent fluid changes would help folks get more than a year or two out of a caliper?

How often do folks pull the wheels off to inspect the pad thickness & caliper condition? That's something I do fairly routinely as well - to spot pads that are not wearing evenly indicating a developing caliper issue before it does collateral damage.

mpc

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

One Hiccup, almost dangerous.

Today, I cranked the truck, pumped the brakes and it took on the 3rd pump. I put it in gear and started backwards (about 30 ft) to turn around in the driveway. Suddenly a hard grinding sound. I pulled forward back into the parking spot slowly.

Loosed the tire luggs on both side a turn each; jacked up the truck and put the jack stands in place and lowered onto the stands. Took the drivers side tire off first. I looked close and saw that the inside pad was on backwards. I remembered that it had fallen off when installing it the first time. I inadvertantly put it on backward.

I took the caliper portion off; took the pad off and inspected it - a few scrathes on the rivets. I felt the rotor real close and could not feel anything other than smooth. Next I cleaned rotor with Simple Green again and installed the pads and calipers back to the original position. Tightened everything; put the wheel back on.

Spent three minutes inspectng the other sided. Everything OK there.

Out for a trial around the block. Smooooth as silk on the brakes. Out on local streets, about 2 miles and a dozen 4 way stops. Worked fine. Out onto a main road and up to 50 MPH. Several stop lights. Worked fine, so I came back and turned it over to my SIL.
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

Working...