X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JSUPreston
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • Montgomery, AL.
    • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

Family vacation to D.C.

SWMBO and I have decided to take the boys to D.C. next month as a family vacation. I have realized lately that I need time away from work that doesn't involve sick leave. I haven't taken more than 2 days of annual leave in a row since 2006.

Frankly, we didn't have this in the budget for this year, and so I'm trying to be frugal. Fortunately, a lot of the D.C. is free, or relatively inexpensive. The trouble I'm having is finding a decent room close to a Metro station that may be in a decent part of town. Don't want to stay at the Motel No Tell. We're thinking 2 queens, a queen with a double (and take air mattress), or a king with sleeper sofa (same air mattress).

Any of you guys that might be in the D.C. area have recommendations for accomdations that aren't too expensive (trying to stay under $100 a night, but willing to pay a little more if justifiable) in decent areas of town? Last time I went to D.C., I stayed at someplace in Bethesda, but I was 14 at the time, so I didn't pay much attention...plus that was 25 years ago.
    "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Will you be driving here or flying? As in, will you have a car? If you have a car, then anywhere is good. Bethesda is really spendy, though. I can't imagine you'll find something nice for less than $100/night there (or most anywhere safe and near a metro). You can also drive to metro and park. The further you are willing to go out of the city, the cheaper it will be. We live a little past the end of the Red line and there's a Motel 6 that shows $70/night. It's next to a freight rail line, though. I can only speak about towns on the north section of the red line going towards Shady Grove. You will be safe anywhere along there.

Our recent vacations have been through VRBO--vacation rental by owner. We have young kids and dogs so sometimes it works out cheaper than having to board the dogs and having a private house is so much nicer than staying in a cheap hotel. It also allowed us to cook meals and save money that way.

In case you don't know, they moved the large air and space museum to 45 minutes out of DC proper. You will definitely need a car for that.

There's lot to see and do. Let me know if you need any help.

Paul

Comment

• durango dude
      • Mar 2011
      • a thousand or so feet above insanity
      • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

I lived and worked in DC for awhile right out of college.
      I travel there a couple times a year, even now.

I recommend booking a room in old Alexandria, VA.

Arlington is very easy to reach from National Airport, and access to the federal part of town is very easy and fast.

I usually travel on business and stay at the Old Town Alexandria Hilton - which I heartily recommend. If you have AAA or AARP, you can likely stay below $100/night. You won't need a car if you stay there - everything you need is near by - including the Metro.

Old Town Alexandria offers lots of nice restaurants and shops --- as well as a ferry across the river to Maryland (National Harbor - home of a fantastic hotel by itself - the Gaylord). It's not the most expensive place - and it's downright convenient. There's a few other places right near there that would likely be fine, as well.

The Smithsonian is free - so it's a decent place to visit with a family. You can easily spend a week there and still not see everything. The monuments are all free, as well.

You'll need to budget a bit for food in the DC area, though. I spend $50/day and that's living cheap.

Comment

• JSUPreston
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • Montgomery, AL.
        • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

I do need to add that we are planning on driving. So, we will have the car if needed, but I would like to keep the car parked as much as possible.
        "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Comment

• atgcpaul
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Maryland
          • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by JSUPreston
          I do need to add that we are planning on driving. So, we will have the car if needed, but I would like to keep the car parked as much as possible.
          Another thing to factor in is parking cost. Some hotels will charge you daily parking up to $20/day while others will provide shuttles to/from the Metro for free.

Old Town Alexandria is very nice. Tons of shops, eateries, and things to see. Good nightlight, too. I'm on the opposite end of Metro from Alexandria. Not much nightlife but that's fine by me.

If you do end up driving and parking in DC, beware! Parking enforcement is ruthless and the signage is so confusing on when it is legal to park. DC also has a ton of red light/speed cameras everywhere. As long as you don't go 11mph over the posted speed limit or stop in a crosswalk, you'll be OK.

About when are you coming? 4th of July?

Comment

• wft3
            Forum Newbie
            • Dec 2003
            • NOVA, (Washington, DC)
            • BT3100

If driving, you're more likely will be coming in on I-66 or I-95 from the South or West which would line you up with using the Orange line from the west, or the Blue/Yellow lines from the South. I-81 to I-66 would be the more scenic route from AL.

Here's the DC metro website: www.wmata.com

I also recommend not driving in the area during the rush hours: 0600 to 0930 or 1530 to 1830 and the metro stations with parking do fill up on the outer most stations. You may need to drive further in for the next station with parking, if it's available.

Finding a hotel for around $100 will be difficult near a metro station. Another option would be using commuter rail train, VRE, which only runs on the weekday but you would be able to stay further out for a better rates. Weekends you could easily drive to a metro station and parking is free on weekends.

www.vre.org for Virginia Railway Express

Comment

• woodturner
              Veteran Member
              • Jun 2008
              • Western Pennsylvania
              • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by JSUPreston
              The trouble I'm having is finding a decent room close to a Metro station that may be in a decent part of town. Don't want to stay at the Motel No Tell. We're thinking 2 queens, a queen with a double (and take air mattress), or a king with sleeper sofa (same air mattress).
              There are a number of reasonable motels in Bethesda MD that are near the metro or will shuttle you to the metro. Typical price range is $60 - $75/night for a couple, might be a bit higher with the family. Priceline shows current rates around $70. I assume you know about priceline, etc. and you can choose the hotel rather than bidding blind for some of them.

I think it was the Days Inn that we usually use, but it has been a few years. They also have free parking for guests and a free breakfast (or at least they did the last time we stayed there.

Edit: the Days Inn is actually in Silver Springs http://www.daysinn.com/hotels/maryla...hotel-overview Cost with teenagers is $93/night currently, vs. $81 for Motel 6 (on Expedia). Not sure if that includes taxes, though.
              Last edited by woodturner; 06-13-2014, 10:19 AM.
              --------------------------------------------------
              Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• atgcpaul
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2003
                • Maryland
                • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by woodturner
                Edit: the Days Inn is actually in Silver Springs http://www.daysinn.com/hotels/maryla...hotel-overview Cost with teenagers is $93/night currently, vs. $81 for Motel 6 (on Expedia). Not sure if that includes taxes, though.
                They have done a lot of redevelopment in Silver Spring over the past few years. Probably five years ago I would not want to stay in that area but it has drastically improved.

Downtown Silver Spring is very vibrant with lots of shops and eating places. They also have a nice IMAX movie theater. I don't know if there's a tour, but the Discovery Channel is headquartered there, too.

Comment

• woodturner
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jun 2008
                  • Western Pennsylvania
                  • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by atgcpaul
                  They have done a lot of redevelopment in Silver Spring over the past few years. Probably five years ago I would not want to stay in that area but it has drastically improved.
                  Didn't realize it was that bad then, we stayed there around that time.

About the time I left MD, there were shootings in Georgetown. I had taken my brother to dinner, and the next night there was a shooting just down the block from where I had parked. A few months after I left, there was a shooting in Columbia, near where I lived. Felt glad I left when I did.

Whenever I visit, it seems like the traffic, attitudes, and crime are worse (brother still lives out there). I love that area - the geography, activities, etc. - but don't like the congestion and crime. It's sad that such a beautiful area has become so rough.
                  --------------------------------------------------
                  Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• JSUPreston
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2005
                    • Montgomery, AL.

SWMBO was doing a lot of homework yesterday, and found us a sweet deal on a room in College Park at a place getting good/great reviews. Its 1/2 mile from the Metro, walking distance to a mall, and lots of places close by that my Autistic son will feel comfortably eating in.

We're talking about maybe taking a drive into D.C. proper at night, just to see everything lit up. Do not want to drive during the day, so the Metro station was an absolute requirement of mine.

Thanks for all the info...if I have any more questions, I'll be sure to ask.

Comment

• durango dude
                      • Mar 2011
                      • a thousand or so feet above insanity
                      • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

I'd never drive in DC ---- day or night. It's crazy.

Trivia ----- DC streets were designed by the Department of Defense.

Humorously, it's easy to find your way INTO DC (you have the Washington Monument and the Capitol to navigate with) ----- but darn near impossible to find your way OUT of DC!

I was always impressed by the Mormon Tabernacle that's on the beltway, and Arlington Cemetery.

I suppose the White house, Washington Monument, and Capitol are impressive to a visitor at night ---- but I grew tired of that stuff 20 years ago when I lived and worked in DC.
                      Last edited by durango dude; 06-13-2014, 03:10 PM.

Comment

• atgcpaul
                        Veteran Member
                        • Aug 2003
                        • Maryland
                        • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by durango dude
                        Humorously, it's easy to find your way INTO DC (you have the Washington Monument and the Capitol to navigate with) ----- but darn near impossible to find your way OUT of DC!
                        In 2000 I went to DC to celebrate the completion of a large gov't funded project. I've always had a bad sense of direction and I went the wrong way to get to the beltway. I added about 30 miles to my trip because I ended up at the bottom of the beltway instead of the top. The bad part was when I neared my destination, I was in such a rush, I got a speeding ticket in a construction zone. Luckily the officer was lenient and recognized I wasn't from that area (I was housesitting for my parents) and didn't automatically double the fine. That being said, Google maps on my Android is always up to date and has not steered me wrong in DC--unless there's a "special event" in DC and ALL the roads are closed.

Originally posted by durango dude
                        I suppose the White house, Washington Monument, and Capitol are impressive to a visitor at night ---- but I grew tired of that stuff 20 years ago when I lived and worked in DC.
                        I guess I'm still a sucker for night time vistas. The Jefferson Memorial around the tidal basin is beautiful at night as well as the Lincoln Memorial, and the WWII memorial. The Korean War Memorial is beautiful day or night but especially haunting at night.

I don't know what your sons are in to, but the National Zoo (free) is great. I can usually find good parking but metro is a safe bet. My recommendation is to get off at the Cleveland Park station and then walk to the zoo. It's 1/3 mile, but it's downhill. When you leave the zoo, keep going downhill 1/4 mile to the Woodley Park station. You can pack a picnic lunch so you don't have to buy the expensive zoo food. Sometimes I'll buy some hot dogs for the kids at the 7-11 across the street from the zoo before going in.

If you want to see some WWing, check out the Renwick Gallery (free). It's a small museum so you can go through it pretty quickly. It's not too far from the White House if that is on your itinerary. There are special rules to tour the White House so look into that if you definitely want a tour.

Like I mentioned before, they've split up the Air and Space Museum. Some is in DC and the big stuff is out by Dulles Airport in VA. If you're going up 81 to 66 instead of up 95, you could hit it on the way in or out of DC so you don't have to make a separate trip.

Comment

Working...