• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

I have seen a trend - the costlier the phone, the more impressive the extra features (IOW, the smartphone features), but not necessarily the 'phone' capabilities.

OTOH, if you can hit a sweet spot of low cost but not the bottom of the list, you can expect the 'phone' to be good, while the camera might be weak, the display might be a bit less bright, etc.

Nokia's non-smart phones used to be the best bet earlier, but they are gone now. Motorola's latest are doing better now. I got a Moto G for my daughter and it has surprised me no end. At $170 (out right purchase, without a contract), it compares amazingly with the $500+ phones from Samsung and Apple. I have found its phone clarity impressive.

And now they have come out with the Moto E, at $129, which should be really a great choice.

Note - these phones use Android, another plus for them. And my carrier is TMobile, not renown for great reception, but with the Moto E, you could easily buy it on your own and use with whichever carrier you have, and save money on your monthly bill. Win Win!
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle

Comment

• Mr__Bill
      Veteran Member
      • May 2007
      • Tacoma, WA
      • BT3000

Thanks for the info on the Moto phones. I have always liked Motorola, my first cell phone was the origional Moto Flip Phone, circa 1995. The Nokia that came next had reception in the middle of Montana and on top of Mt Rainer. The last Moto also had great reception that I attributed to the pull out antenna. Now there seems to be no antenna and poor reception. I think you are right, the less features the better the phone part.

Bill

Originally posted by radhak
      I have seen a trend - the costlier the phone, the more impressive the extra features (IOW, the smartphone features), but not necessarily the 'phone' capabilities.

OTOH, if you can hit a sweet spot of low cost but not the bottom of the list, you can expect the 'phone' to be good, while the camera might be weak, the display might be a bit less bright, etc.

Nokia's non-smart phones used to be the best bet earlier, but they are gone now. Motorola's latest are doing better now. I got a Moto G for my daughter and it has surprised me no end. At $170 (out right purchase, without a contract), it compares amazingly with the $500+ phones from Samsung and Apple. I have found its phone clarity impressive.

And now they have come out with the Moto E, at $129, which should be really a great choice.

Note - these phones use Android, another plus for them. And my carrier is TMobile, not renown for great reception, but with the Moto E, you could easily buy it on your own and use with whichever carrier you have, and save money on your monthly bill. Win Win!

Comment

• Mr__Bill
        Veteran Member
        • May 2007
        • Tacoma, WA
        • BT3000

As my phone quest continues....
        I knew that the battery was about kaput but did not realize how that affected the phone other than short life. I have been told by a friend who does know a bit about batteries that the lithium ion batteries as they age loose the ability to supply the higher amps that using all the features of the phone demand, so voltage drops and things get flaky. Rather like a too long extension cord of too small a gauge wire.

I have ordered a new battery, all of 12 dollars, and I will see just what that fixes. I know that the new battery will not move the tower closer to the house so better reception is out. If other things work I'll at least think that the S2 was not as big of a mistake to have purchased as I do now.

We recently got a small tablet. It does everything my phone does except work as a phone. I have started calling my phone a 4 1/2" tablet.

Bill
        on the left coast where night comes later.

Comment

Working...