• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cork58
    Established Member
    • Jan 2006
    • Wasilla, AK, USA.
    • BT3000

For a cheap temporary fix drain the oil, go to the drug store and ask for a quart of "Waterglass". If they don't know what it is ask them to cross reference it. I can't remember the real name but when I was farming in California no farm would ever be without it. You will need to drain all the coolant out and flush with clean water. Refill but leave it a little low for the waterglass, add new oil and filter, run the engine for about half an hour and the leak regardless of where it is will be sealed off, till the leak worsens, then reapply. For that coolant capacity a pint just may do the trick. Old farm trick we used allot during harvest time when you patched instead of repaired!
    Cork,

Dare to dream and dare to fail.

Comment

• woodturner
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2008
      • Western Pennsylvania
      • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by cork58
      For a cheap temporary fix drain the oil, go to the drug store and ask for a quart of "Waterglass". If they don't know what it is ask them to cross reference it. I can't remember the real name but when I was farming in California no farm would ever be without it.
      It's sodium silicate. The problem, though, is that it will bond to nearly anything, so it tends to clog cooling passages in the engine block and is therefore not recommended for engine use.
      --------------------------------------------------
      Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• Stytooner
        Roll Tide RIP Lee
        • Dec 2002
        • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
        • BT3100

I would only do a fix like that in an emergency or when I did not plan on having that particular engine repaired. It can really gunk up everything including the radiator.

My Dakota is an 06 model.
        It is the Sport model loaded. I bought it factory refurb and full warranty at about 39K on it. That was in 2010. It's almost paid for. I have 68K on it now. That thing is a screamer when you mash the gas. Love it. If in 5 or 6 years, this one develops a flaw like that, It would be fully worth it to me to get repaired.
        Repairs would probably be on the higher side considering the engine type, but the rest of the truck is top notch. I would not even second guess myself at this point, however, is see your dilemma.

IMHO, it is for the younger guys at this point. Recoup what you can from the sale and get on with a payment. You will be the safest all the way around with that move. Let's face it, any vehicle can leave you stranded. It's better with today's cell phone tech, but that is assuming Murphy is not involved somewhere.
        Lee

Comment

• woodturner
          Veteran Member
          • Jun 2008
          • Western Pennsylvania
          • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by Stytooner
          I would only do a fix like that in an emergency or when I did not plan on having that particular engine repaired. It can really gunk up everything including the radiator.
          Are you referring to the Sodium Silicate or the K&W block sealer? I'd agree on the Sodium Silicate, but the K&W doesn't work that way, so it doesn't clog radiators, etc.

FWIW, I did intend to use it as a temporary fix, but it worked so well the permanent fix was not needed.
          --------------------------------------------------
          Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• Stytooner
            Roll Tide RIP Lee
            • Dec 2002
            • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
            • BT3100

I've never actually tried all the block sealers like K&W. I have had occasion to use sealers for coolant and transmissions. Tires too. Those cost more in the end and got me out of a jam at the time, but cost some extra cash down the road.

Some places will not even repair a tire if there is evidence of "Slime" installed. Fix a Flat is the same. They cannot guarantee results.

I would not want to drive late at night in many places knowing that I put some sort of stop leak in my vehicle anywhere. I would certainly do it without thinking when I was younger.
            Lee

Comment

• GPA61
              • Sep 2004
              • Rancho Cucamonga, CA
              • BT 3100 & JET JWTS

I drained the oil this afternoon. I hate to see that crap coming out of it, (chocolate shake)
              Only the last 2 quarts looked like oil. She is not my daily driver so I have time to think what
              my best options are.

Thank you guys for all your advice and suggestions.
              Claudio

Comment

Working...