• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

I'm getting good at predicting when the CE light will turn on. My wife borrowed the car last week and before she filled up, the light was on. After filling it, it went away. Today the temps were just around freezing and even with half a tank, the light came on. So low fuel or low temps seem to be causative.

Today the OBD Bluetooth scanner arrived. I set it up and saw that I was getting a P200A error code. The code is for "intake manifold runner performance". However, from what I'm reading, it appears to be some kind of computer glitch. I even found the technical bulletin instructions for the service people to follow. The thing is, the update should have already been applied to my car. The car definitely runs differently when the light is on.

Anyway, I'm taking it to the dealer to let them figure it out.

Comment

• JimD
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2003
      • Lexington, SC.

It always makes me feel better to know what the code is for, even if I elect not to attempt to fix it. I googled that code for a Santa Fe and one posting said the tsb is a reprogramming - not a do it yourself for me. I hope it is that simple.

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by JimD
        It always makes me feel better to know what the code is for, even if I elect not to attempt to fix it. I googled that code for a Santa Fe and one posting said the tsb is a reprogramming - not a do it yourself for me. I hope it is that simple.
        I hope so, too. But...

I do some programming at work and I know my programs don't suddenly start throwing up errors years later unless some condition is/not met. Hopefully the reprogramming fix isn't just masking the real condition.

Edit:

Just found this and have been reading through it. It does seem to be cold weather related but it could also be battery related. I had to have a jump start around Christmas because I accidentally left the dome light on overnight. I think the CEL started after that. I needed another jump about a month ago because of the dome light again (kids!). The dealer suggested I get a new battery because at my last oil change (free for life) they said the battery reserves/cold cranking amps were low. Unfortunately for the people who had it fixed, their dealers weren't very knowledgeable. I'm going to post over there and see if there have been any updates.

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/187-cm...ine-light.html
        Last edited by atgcpaul; 03-18-2014, 08:45 AM.

Comment

• JSUPreston
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2005
          • Montgomery, AL.
          • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

Just chiming in.
          On both Dodge Ram 1500's that I've had, I would get the CEL p0440 when low on gas in cold weather. It's the evap system on the truck. Common problem it seems with my particular model (4.7 V8). Some folks have actually had a real problem, but most of us are getting a false positive. Sometimes, it's a simple matter of tightening the gas cap or filling up. Others have had luck getting it to go away permanently by replacing the gas cap.
          "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• durango dude
            • Mar 2011
            • a thousand or so feet above insanity
            • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

The car definitely runs differently when the light is on.
            That's correct ---

Your vehicle has a computer that's always fine-tuning the way the motor runs. When the computer (ECM) senses a trouble code - it switches into a "automatic" mode - which is a little less refined.

Your motor still runs (likely better than a motor from the pre-engineering days) However, it's simply not as fine-tuned.

Comment

• atgcpaul
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2003
              • Maryland
              • Grizzly 1023SLX

Fixed.

Dropped it off at the dealer this morning and the P200A code was legit. The service report says the actuator in the intake manifold would not close. They replaced the intake manifold as well as the gasket--under warranty. Took about 6 hours from dropoff at appt time to being called that the problem was fixed.

Comment

• atgcpaul
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2003
                • Maryland
                • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by atgcpaul
                Fixed.

Dropped it off at the dealer this morning and the P200A code was legit. The service report says the actuator in the intake manifold would not close. They replaced the intake manifold as well as the gasket--under warranty. Took about 6 hours from dropoff at appt time to being called that the problem was fixed.
                Well, that was short lived. Came back on when I left work. Now it's breaking all the rules. Tank is at least at 80% and outdoor temp is 60deg. Sucks that I have to go back in but at least this should be on their dime.

Comment

Working...