• Show
Clear All
  • woodturner
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2008
    • Western Pennsylvania
    • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by Rslaugh
    the hardest thing for me to get by was the calories in = calories out way of thinking. Its too simplistic and our bodies just don't work that way. Oak doesn't burn the same way as pine and protein and fat do not burn the same as carbs. Even that is too simplistic. It's in the way your body decides to store and eventually process different foods.
    Have to disagree with both the "low sodium is bad" and "calorie in does not equal calories out" viewpoints. The research has consistently shown that it really is "calories in=calories out", and that high sodium raises blood pressure and causes a host of other health problems.

Researchers have been looking for a difference in the way calories are processed by the body literally for decades, and no one has found any evidence of anything contrary to "calories in=calories out". This makes sense, because the body breaks food down into it's constituent components, and doesn't differentiate by source of those components.

Bottom line, a balanced diet that is lower in fat, lower in protein, and higher in unprocessed complex carbs is the healthiest diet for most people. Slight "starvation" is shown to increase lifespan, but may not help you lose weight, as it can cause reduced metabolism.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• Rslaugh
      • Sep 2003
      • Red Lion, PA, USA.
      • Ridgid

Sorry, i shouldn't have even started down this path as there is a lot of very conflicting data on both sides. Things we take for granted as facts have just been repeated so often we come to believe them.
      Rick
      IG: @rslaugh_photography
      A sailor travels to many lands, Any place he pleases
      And he always remembers to wash his hands, So's he don't gets no diseases
      ~PeeWee Herman~

Comment

• Black wallnut
        cycling to health
        • Jan 2003
        • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
        • BT3k 1999

Originally posted by Rslaugh
        Sorry, i shouldn't have even started down this path as there is a lot of very conflicting data on both sides. Things we take for granted as facts have just been repeated so often we come to believe them.
        True about conflicting data! Each of us are unique and that makes noting for certain. What works for some can hurt others.

An interesting read, one that I happen to agree with. Most of my research also agrees with this article.
        Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• Rslaugh
          • Sep 2003
          • Red Lion, PA, USA.
          • Ridgid

So as not to further hijack this thread I quoted and replied to Mark in this thread:

This forum is for any topic that you would normally talk about at the office "around the coffee pot". Jokes, tall tales, and true stories are welcome as long as they are clean and in good taste. I only ask that you steer away from topics on religion or politics. Go ahead and pull up a chair and pour yourself a cup of coffee and enjoy the conversation.
          Rick
          ~PeeWee Herman~

Comment

• Black wallnut
            cycling to health
            • Jan 2003
            • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
            • BT3k 1999

MFP seems to be working for me. I am down.

©

Comment

• TB Roye
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2004
              • Sacramento, CA, USA.
              • BT3100

I am not a part of the weight loss challenge, due to the fact that I and my wife will be participating in Medically monitored weight loss program through out health plan. The program start April 9 and continues for 18 month. The program is not covered by our health insurance and is not cheap $400+ a month for each of us and $90 a week for the for the for each of us. My Doctor is one of the monitors which is the medical supervision part of the program we will have a physical and blood work every monthw for the first 4 months.

The program consist of 14 weeks of meal replacement of 980 calories a day for the rapid weight loss there are also required weekly meetings part of which of BP and weight checks. I should lose between 40-50 pounds in 30 weeks. They are calling the program a life style change where we will be taught the correct foods to eat how and what to by and how to cook healthy. Exercising is also a requirement as is keep a log on what we eat(after the 14 weeks) and our aactivity level

Currently I weigh 195 so i am considered overweight not obese. My wife on the other had
              is obese and needs to loose 60-70 pounds. I am also border line Diabetic which after loosing my youngest sister and a cousin to Diabetes is part of my motivation. My goal is to get down to what I weighed when I got married. I am also doing this to support my wife who has an emotional attachment to food and wine (bluntly she is addicted) and knows it.

I am 71, 5'-8" and this extra weight is in my GUT and is putting a strain on my back, legs and feet. Can't stand buying EXlarge shirts to fit over my gut or having to have help buttoning my dress shirt collar when wearing a tie. The gut gets in the way when working around the house especially now that I am laying Laminate flooring through out the house.

This is a radical program and is a alternative to the various weight loss surgeries.

We had our physicals yesterday and we both were told that we will be getting off most of our medications as we go through this. The only one I might still be on is one for my blood pressure as it also control my heart rate by the dosage might be lower. We also will be required to clean out the pantry and refrigerators (2) as we will be starting over, so the local food closet will benefit. We figured out that our weekly cost for food will be covered by not going out to eat and not buying groceries. We also figure part of our monthly fee will be cover by not eating. We will be using the Optifast meal replacement. For those of you who might interested in see what we will be doing go to.
              The Kaiser Permanente Medical Weight Management Program can improve your health and quality of life. Learn about our California weight loss clinic in Sacramento, San Francisco, San Jose, and Fresno.

Tom

Comment

• cwsmith
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2005
                • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                • BT3100-1

Well, I went to the Doctor yesterday for my quaterly checkup. Surprise (not really), but I got on their scales and it said I weighed 186 lbs.... fully clothed, with my shoes on. That morning my home scale showed 186.4 fresh from the shower!

I figure my clothes with shoes and including a sweater probably adds up to at least four lbs, if not five. So that would put my weight somewhere in the neighborhood of 181.

We have two new scales, both supplied through our healthcare plan. They are these new digital glass-plate types that sell between $25 and $40 depending on where you buy them. In this day and age, one would think they would be significantly accurate.

CWS
                Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• Black wallnut
                  cycling to health
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                  • BT3k 1999

CWS there is absolute accuracy and repeatable accuracy. The former is nice but the latter is more desirable IMHO. It is long term trends that really matter as day to day there are simply too many variables for a pin point weight to matter. My Dr.'s office has an electronic scale on one side of their clinic and a balance beam type on the other side; I prefer the electronic as it seems to show lighter weight by several pounds.

Tom best of luck with what you are going to do. My former DR. went on a similar program, if not the same one, not really sure. He lost a bunch of weight. I've read success stories where people change they way they think about eating and it makes for big changes. I'm too weak to try something so severe. MFP has me on 1400 calories a day before exercise offset and that is hard enough.
                  Last edited by Black wallnut; 03-05-2014, 01:43 PM.

©

Comment

• Rslaugh
                    • Sep 2003
                    • Red Lion, PA, USA.
                    • Ridgid

Originally posted by cwsmith

We have two new scales, both supplied through our healthcare plan. They are these new digital glass-plate types that sell between $25 and $40 depending on where you buy them. In this day and age, one would think they would be significantly accurate.

CWS
                    I quit using our $50 scale because it wasn't repeatable. Step on, step off, step back on and see a 4-5 lb difference. Even though my wife went from a size 22 to 12 she was obsessed with the scale and getting frustrated because it was all over the place. So I threw it out.

We saw a doctors office style balance beam scale while going through an antique shop. We both stepped on it and it was in the range of reality for both of us. There is a small calibrating weight which moves on a screw which in fact adjusted the reading so it looked to be functional. We bought it and set it up at home. I used some gym weights to calibrate it to 150 lbs. Two months later it is off 1/4 lb from that calibration weight.

You can weigh yourself, go to the bathroom, come back and see a 3/4 lb difference. This has put an end to the battle of the scale numbers. One just has to realize that you can have a 4 lb difference in water weight from one day to the next so don't get hung up these numbers. As Mark says it's the trend. My best measurement is my belt.

Also digital scales - just because it has a fancy digital readout has no bearing on how accurate or repeatable it is. That is dependent on the sensing mechanism. I love technology but nothing beats a balance beam scale for simplicity and repeatability.
                    Rick
                    ~PeeWee Herman~

Comment

• Black wallnut
                      cycling to health
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                      • BT3k 1999

What have you done today to lose weight?

©

Comment

• woodturner
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jun 2008
                        • Western Pennsylvania
                        • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by Black wallnut
                        What have you done today to lose weight?
                        I went to breakfast with the guys Oh, wait, you said lose weight Dohh!!!

Seriously, I will be riding the exercise bike later today. If ever warms up and the snow melts, I'll be able to ride outside.

I like riding and it is an exercise I will actually do. Riding the stationary bike is kind of boring though. Next plan is to set up the stationary in front of the TV, so I can watch TV while I ride.
                        --------------------------------------------------
                        Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• atgcpaul
                          Veteran Member
                          • Aug 2003
                          • Maryland
                          • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by woodturner
                          I went to breakfast with the guys Oh, wait, you said lose weight Dohh!!!

Seriously, I will be riding the exercise bike later today. If ever warms up and the snow melts, I'll be able to ride outside.

I like riding and it is an exercise I will actually do. Riding the stationary bike is kind of boring though. Next plan is to set up the stationary in front of the TV, so I can watch TV while I ride.
                          Yeah, apparently I didn't do much to lose weight recently.

I, too, am looking forward to the spring thaw. I have my bike on a trainer right now but I just can't motivate myself to ride indoors. Even with something on the tablet, it's just too blah. I like riding on the road because it just clears my head. I could be having the crappiest day at work, but when I ride home, my head is just so much clearer by the time I get home. All I have to worry about it staying upright and not getting hit by a car. Which is actually less stressful than work...and I know I eat when I'm stressed.

Our daughters go to different daycares now which means I can finally get the single kid seat and drop one or the other off. I have a dual kid trailer but it was a lot of effort to get it setup in the morning, leave it at the daycare, and then get to work.

Comment

• Black wallnut
                            cycling to health
                            • Jan 2003
                            • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                            • BT3k 1999

Down to 234.2 pounds this morning. Just for entertainment I watched Fat, Sick and nearly Dead last night. Darn show made me hungry. So far this month I've cycled 210 miles. Will be going for a 35+ mile ride shortly. Because of the weight loss and my anticipation of burning plenty of calories today I ate a good breakfast. I am within $100 of meeting my goal for the Tour de Cure ride and that is part of my motivation. Friends believe in my cause and me enough to donate I believe I should put out substantial effort to prepare for the ride and better manage my disease.

©

Comment

• Rslaugh
                              • Sep 2003
                              • Red Lion, PA, USA.
                              • Ridgid

I'm up 2 lbs this week. I'm surprised it isn't 5-10 with what I ate while on the road this week. I'm normally pretty good but 6 hours in the car to Roanoke and then back the next evening - I just craved some French fries. And it is so hard to take the time to stop and eat a salad and I can't eat a salad in the car and eating the meat out from between the buns is difficult while driving and 47 more excuses I will post to the interwebs at some time in the future. Back on the wagon.
                              Rick
                              ~PeeWee Herman~

Comment

• Black wallnut
                                cycling to health
                                • Jan 2003
                                • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                                • BT3k 1999

Stayed even this week. Too much compensating with increased bike riding. It will take a few weeks to stabilize hunger vs increased riding.

©

Comment

Working...