Clear All
  • lrr
    Established Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Fort Collins, Colorado
    • Ryobi BT-3100

Originally posted by cwsmith
    Absolutely we are.

I also remember quite a few years ago that some rock band got into trouble with the copyright office, regarding a piece of music they produced. Something about four notes, that somehow duplicated another artist's music of a decade or so before that. FOUR NOTES!? I thought that was a real joke, but apparently it wasn't and some kind of monitary penalty had to be paid the originator.
    I think that year was 1970. Album "James Gang Rides Again". The "Bomber" medley had a part from Ravel's "Bolero". It was attributed on the album and label, but I think was pulled after the initial pressing.

We are both dating ourselves ... I am not sure why I remembered this, other than I think a college buddy had the original, and I had the version with that section cut out.
    Lee

Comment

• phrog
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2005
      • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

RE: the origin post: Call me cynical, but I wonder if some money changed hands.?!
      Richard

Comment

• cwsmith
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • NY Southern Tier, USA.
        • BT3100-1

About the dumbest "violation" I ever saw wasn't so much a copyright violation, but just a "violation" of the dumbest magnitude.

Before I went to the big company back in 1973, I worked for a sub-contract shop. Great place and I'll always have fond memories of it. We did all kinds of sub-contract stuff (Vestal Modern Design) including drafting, technical publications, machine shop, circuit board mfg, etc. Everybody in the place seemed to get along really well and the five guys who owned the place were very careing of the employees, as we all had considerable benefits.

I started there in 1966 as a novice, and by 1972 I was Tech Pubs supervisor, handling job bidding, hiring, etc.

I actually had a guy come in for an interview and as part of his "portfolio" he had a manual in which every illustration was done by me, a few years before! At the time I was 26 or so, and the guy was a bit older. One would think that he would have known better, but to say the least... he didn't get the job!

CWS
        Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

Working...