• Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

BIGGEST Surprise ever this Christmas

Loren's post was good timing for this. I just arrived home an hour ago from Dallas.

My wife and three daughters gave me the biggest surprise Christmas present ever. Two tickets and hotel reservations in Dallas for the Dallas/Philadelphia game. Being there in that stadium was simply beyond description for me. Although I was just about eye level for the screen, I still watched the field far more than the screen.

How this started. I became a Cowboys fan with Dandy Don Meredith, through Staubach and continued on. I lived in Ft. Worth from 75-80 and attended just one game at Texas Stadium - fall of '77. My middle daughter Terri Ann was born that year in Ft Worth and was the only one of my girls to follow football. She grew up in South Louisiana and Japan but kept up with the 'Boys. When the Cowboys were in the superbowl in 93 & 94, I let her stay home from school and watch the superbowl with me. (Sunday PM in the US is Monday AM in Japan). In '96, she was in her first year of college but was home for us to watch the '96 game together.

Back then, she asked me to take her to a Cowboys game. I said, "One of these years". Well, I have been back 3 years from Japan and we all but forgot about it because the 'Boys weren't doing so well.

Terri Ann planned this and the three girls and LOML went together to purchase the two tickets back in November and pay for hotel reservations for Terri and me. Usually after Christmas, our whole family meets up in Georgia with LOML's family. This year, it got moved around. And I was able to go to the game with my Cowboys loving daughter. I had to drive From Sunday AM in N MS - 480 miles before the game at 7 PM. (Originally it was at 12 noon and I was going on Saturday) With the change, I stayed Sunday night. Terri lives in MO and she did the same and took a today off from work.

I knew something was up but I had absolutely no clue about the Cowboys game until the Sunday before. Back in late November, one pastor called me and asked me if I were going to be in town on Dec, 29th, and could I fill in for him. I told him that I didn't have anything planned, - my normal New Years inlaws trip was not going to be at that time, but I still better check with LOML before committing. I called Linda, asked if we had anything planned for the 29th, and that I was asked to fill in for a pastor. Without a second's hesitation she said, "You have something scheduled that day!", I said "What?!!" She said, I can't tell you but you have something planned for the 28th and 29th!" I said "What? I am not aware of anything!" After a little bit of frustrating questioning, I knew I wasn't going to change her mind and just accepted it. Honestly, I thought it was a trip for her and me around something she wanted.

She said, "I have NEVER been able to surprise you, but this is going to be one surprise!" I let it go but stayed curious.

I did get the surprise on Sunday (22nd) before Christmas though. LOML and our daughter in Arkansas with her husband and 5 kids were with us at Terri's house in Ozark, MO (Springfield Area) for Christmas. On Saturday (21st) evening, one of the churches in our association in NW MS was destroyed by one of a series of tornados that come through the area. (I am the director of our Assoc of Churches covering 3 counties) I told my family that I needed to go back home (NW MS) Sunday (22nd) and would be back on Monday evening or Tuesday before Christmas. Early that morning (22nd) before I left, We skyped my daughter in Brazil and she and my other two daughters and LOML gave me my surprise Christmas present at that time - so that I would not plan something for this weekend due to the tornado damage.

They knew me well. If I had not known about the tickets, I would have probably promised to be with the church that lost the building. Everything turned out well anyway, as lots of help in many directions came about this week, including a volunteer team from the Springfield MO area.

Back to the Football game. It was awesome. There is far more electricity in the air at a live game than just watching it on TV! No camparison. Terri was ecstatic and we decided to make this an annual event - except everyone else wants to join in now. NO WAY! Football games like that are too expensive for "casually interested fans!" They can go shopping!

From about 2006, when I was in Japan and Terri was back here (USA), she would to turn on Skype, turn her computer camera to the TV when a Cowboys game was on, I would turn on my Skype and we would watch the Cowboys together and just talk.

AND another big surprise:My 4 grandsons and daughter in Arkansas are taking me to a Spurs-Grizzly game in Memphis on Jan 7, the day before my birthday. I have been a Spurs fan since Pop and the Admiral. And now I just can't get enough watching Duncan and Parker - and Pop's sideline animations!

I have a Grizzly cap - the green tool Grizzly cap and I "might" wear that one. I don't think real Grizzly fans will like that - or my Spurs cap that I bought last year!
    Last edited by leehljp; 12-30-2013, 10:34 PM.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
Working...