• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alpha
    Established Member
    • Dec 2003
    • Owensboro, KY, USA.

Another Computer Problem (and solution)

The other day I had the same issue Tom described in his thread several weeks ago. Computer wouldn't boot, no signal to monitor, no beeps. I placed the computer case horizontally on a card table and it booted right up. I shut it down and placed it vertically. When I tried to boot it again it wouldn't boot. I re-read the other thread to see if it had a solution. I checked the monitor, hard drives, etc. and repeated the process several times.

I finally found out that my video cable was touching the metal case when plugged into the video card when the case was in its normal vertical position. When the computer case was laying on it's side the plug was vertical the computer booted up. When the computer case was vertical, the plug was horizontal and the video card had enough movement that the metal touched the metal around the plug. It was a simple matter of centering the video card so the plug could not touch the metal.

When I first started building computers, you always had to screw the video card into the case which preventing this from occurring. Most computer cases now are made for "tool less" installation and have a bracket that snaps to secure the video card and this can be a problem if you are not careful.

I hope this my prevent someone from going through hours of frustration like I did.
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

It's funny you mentioned this now. I have a piece of instrumentation at work that would not initialize. The first thing it does is download firmware from the computer to the instrument. This wasn't happening.

I had taken off one of the side panels on the instrument but this left the back panel cocked at an angle. The control boards are on the back.

I propped the back panel level and then it initialized. I'm not sure yet if it was just dumb luck but it works now. Maybe a cable is out of line like with your video card.

The very first computer I built on my own was a disaster. I laid the new MB into the case and just kind of let it sit there without properly setting it on the metal standoffs. Anyway, I powered it up and saw what I thought was a bright white LED appear in the middle of the board, then smoke. It wasn't an LED but a short circuit of the board against the standoff. I was honest with the MB seller and they sent me another free of charge.

Can't say I haven't done similar things since, though.

Paul

Comment

• Stytooner
      Roll Tide RIP Lee
      • Dec 2002
      • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
      • BT3100

Nylon standoffs are a better choice. I use nylon screws and spacers in most of my cnc control cabinets where there is any circuitry close to the mounting points.
      When it comes to expensive electronics, safer is better than sorrier.
      Lee

Comment

Working...