• Show
Clear All
  • TB Roye
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Sacramento, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

Any wine collectors out there?

Brother in Law and I are developing a nice wine collection during our various travels. We are think of getting a 36 bottle Wine Cooler/refrigerator and would like some recommendations on which make model and type we should look at We want dual zone cooling for the reds and white. We know there are 2 type of cooling which is better a holds the temp better.

Thanks in advance

Tom
  • Mildoc
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2011
    • Copperas Cove TX
    • BT

Ok

Uh, how much are you willing to spend? Most that I love hold 36 bottles of more. Price varies a lot. And the best of course cost more.

I have been a wine lover for decades, have some bottles that are 30 years old. If you plan to store wine that long - no cooler. If you want to store for short time, many choices.

Price makes the difference.

Oh, and what you like the temp to be is a personal choice. I prefer room temp for all - more fragrance. Chilled only short time for some. And wine cooler for a few others.

And forget the nonsense of reds with meats, whites with fish or chicken. Drink what you like!!!
    We all have to go sometime, just not yet!

Comment

• jwd12
      Established Member
      • Jun 2005
      • Dyer, In..
      • BT3100

I suspect a 36 bottle cooler will soon be obsolete. I also am decades into wine collection and agree with Mildoc, no cooler is the best solution, and definitely drink what you like with whatever. We drink red at basement temperature and refrigerate whites for a half an hour. I started with a cooler and ended up with wine room in the basement and a several hundred bottle collection. Fortunately my other excess (woodworking tools) was a prefect companion to my wine obsession.
      I am praying for patience but extremely upset that it takes so long.

Comment

• chopnhack
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2006
        • Florida
        • Ryobi BT3100

I only drink this:

Just kidding :-O
        I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• TB Roye
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • Sacramento, CA, USA.
          • BT3100

That is the price of our combined collection. We are now thinking of modifying a closet in each of our homes for the wine.

Tom

Comment

• atgcpaul
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2003
            • Maryland
            • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by chopnhack
            I only drink this:

Holy crap! Does that include the vineyard, too?!!!

Comment

• lrr
              Established Member
              • Apr 2006
              • Fort Collins, Colorado
              • Ryobi BT-3100

Originally posted by chopnhack
              I only drink this:

Wise marketing move, pricing that bottle at $3899.99 -- a retail price of $3900 would drive so many potential buyers away ...
              Lee

Comment

• TB Roye
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2004
                • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                • BT3100

How big is that bottle? I can get a regular 750ml for $120 over in Menlo Park (the bay area) Did a google search couldn't find any of the particular wine for that price.

Tom

Comment

• atgcpaul
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2003
                  • Maryland
                  • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by TB Roye
                  How big is that bottle? I can get a regular 750ml for $120 over in Menlo Park (the bay area) Did a google search couldn't find any of the particular wine for that price.

Tom
                  I think I'm seeing 18L so Costco is a rip in this case. Comparably you'd be paying $2880 for the same amount in smaller bottles.

Comment

• Mildoc
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 2011
                    • Copperas Cove TX
                    • BT

Originally posted by TB Roye
                    That is the price of our combined collection. We are now thinking of modifying a closet in each of our homes for the wine.

Tom
                    Now THAT is a much better idea. BUT it still depends on how long you wish to store the wine.

If long time (more than 1 year for most) the environment should be:
                    1. temperature controlled, or at least little variation
                    2. humidity from 55-75%
                    3. dark as light causes "faults" of various kinds
                    4. bottles on their side at a slight angle towards the bottom so that the air bubble exposes some but not all of the cork inside the bottle (NOT sparkling wines - store upright). Newer no-cork bottling methods still too "young" to know if this is needed, but I store all this way.

There has been long time debate as to whether the bottles should be gently. 1/4 turned once every 3 to 6 months. I do this for the better, older wines I have but I am still not sure it makes a difference.

If less than 1 year STILL keep out of light, and try to keep temp and humidity fairly constant.
                    We all have to go sometime, just not yet!

Comment

Working...