$28/bd ft

with a story....

I think in straight lines, but dream in curves
  • Carpenter96
    Established Member
    • Aug 2011
    • Barrie ON Canada
    • BT 3000

Hi I used to restore antique wooden motor launches and that is exactly the type of wood you would want for that. The price is high but where else are you going to wood that is almost 100 years old that would match up with the original.

Regards Bob

Comment

• JimD
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2003
      • Lexington, SC.

A few boards were over 20 inches wide! Not a deal for me but seem like it should be for somebody.

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
        Veteran Member
        • May 2003
        • Nanuet, NY, USA.
        • BT3100

And you think that's high

$28 a board Foot

Considering the board foot price of some of the more "exotic" woods I use, that isn't a bad price.
        These days, very good quality, all black Gabon Ebony runs about $100.00 a bd. ft.

But that's why I mostly build jewelry boxes.

Bruce
        Last edited by Bruce Cohen; 11-05-2013, 01:33 PM.
        "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
        Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

I have a couple of picts that I took in a friend's shop (in Japan) in 2002-2003 of about 70 board feet of black Persimmon. He had 5 boards, roughly 6.5 to 7 ft long, with an average width of 12 inches and 2 inches thick. Each board cost him 80,000 yen, or exchange rate at the time of about $800 per board, $4000.00 total. That comes to about $57.00 a board ft.

Beautiful ebony wood! I still have a couple of small cut-offs from that, probably about 1/2 B.Ft.

Old wood is worth it, if you can afford it.
          Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• phrog
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2005
            • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

About 5 or 6 years ago, I saw a small ad in a magazine for Cuban mahogany (Swietenia mahogani). At the time I was interested in building a curio cabinet and looked at the web site that was listed to get the details about this mahogany.

Someone had bought a really old warehouse building with all its contents and he never even saw the contents. As it turned out the warehouse had been used in the 1920's by a custom yacht manufacturer. They had stored many thousands of board feet of the mahogany there. The yacht manufacturer had gone belly up and the wood had long-since been forgotten.

So the new owner was asking $50/bd ft with a minimum purchase of 1000 bd-feet and the buyer pays transport. Needless to say I decided I didn't need that much wood for a curio cabinet.
            Richard

Comment

Working...