• Show
Clear All
  • Black wallnut
    cycling to health
    • Jan 2003
    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
    • BT3k 1999

Another reason to host images here

Last night I read an email from a user that was looking for missing attachments in a post Niki made in '08. I searched for the images and it appears that Niki hosted them elsewhere. Since his passing those images have went poof. Several options are available perhaps the best of which is to use a wayback machine and hope that the post you want to view is one that is available.

Another option is to find someone that has the file or image.

When you host the image on our server the image stays with the post. Not completely fool proof either because we have lost images in the past during updates or server migrations. The odds however are in the favor of the image being safest when hosted here.

That said my images are mostly hosted off site on my own domain. I gladly pay the small fee to have the hosting I have. It is a commitment I made years ago.
    Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

I stopped hosting here because we did have that one server issue that lost all of my images. If you host here, can you share the link to the image to someone else without them having to see the whole post, too?

I now host images through my Gmail account but Google keeps making updates in their attempt to become the new Facebook with Google+. It's getting to be a pain to use them for hosting since linking images is becoming more and more cumbersome.

I have always wanted to have my own domain. Even with that, though, don't your files live on someone else's server or do you manage your own server at home and any requests for images are sent to your server at home?

A few years ago, in my browser I typed in my full name and added ".com" to the end of it. I thought I had a fairly unique name but there was this site of a tattooed up guy with piercings everywhere. It didn't show his face. As a joke, I'd tell people to go to my website if they wanted more information about me. It looks like he's polished it up recently.

Thanks,
    Paul

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

I have many links and picts from posts here on a database, but I do not have any of Niki's. I was surprised that I didn't.
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Black wallnut
        cycling to health
        • Jan 2003
        • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
        • BT3k 1999

Originally posted by atgcpaul
        I SNIP

I have always wanted to have my own domain. Even with that, though, don't your files live on someone else's server or do you manage your own server at home and any requests for images are sent to your server at home?

SNIP
        Thanks,
        Paul
        If you pay for hosting yes someone else owns the server but you do have control over the URL and what the image is. My managed hosting plan costs me $7 a month and I believe for what I have that is on the expensive end of things. If you do free domain hosting you may noty be able to control things as well. If you host on a third party you have no control and often hotlinking to your images is often in violation to the users agreement; not sure about Google image hosting.

My whole point is that years down the road images hosted here still work unless we get a file corruption. Images hosted on an outside domain may or may not be available, may have been moved or the hosting account may have been canceled. Images hosted by a third party in my experience are about half there after only six months.
        Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• chopnhack
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2006
          • Florida
          • Ryobi BT3100

RIP Niki .
          I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• LinuxRandal
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2005
            • Independence, MO, USA.
            • bt3100

Let's see if this works. (I keep a copy of the pdf of Niki's jigs, in my computer pdf library for my Nook)
            The_Wonderful_World_of_Nikis_Jigs.pdf is a larger file (too large for here), so I am going to try to make a magnet link for it in torrent form.

We are working on a way to get it here, may take a while, so far attempts have failed.

Thanks
            Last edited by LinuxRandal; 09-18-2013, 09:21 AM.
            She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2005
              • Independence, MO, USA.
              • bt3100

Just wanted to add (and the mods are welcome to delete this if a link to another forum is a no no), that the forum that put together the pdf, I found a link with the posts.

After photo..... screwed up his stuff once, he reposted and the site started copying his images over to its own forum.

Hope this helps:
              http://ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/the-w...20nikis%20jigs
              She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

Working...