• Show
Clear All
  • TB Roye
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Sacramento, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

Going over to the dark side

Just go a text that my new Apple Imac is ready to be picked up. Been thinking about it since LOML and I got our Iphone 5's and the our iPads. So I pulled the trigger Wednesday and it ready to be picked up. The nice thing they will help get is set up and in sync with my iphone and ipad and even trans my files if I want. Not going to transfer the files yet a I need to go through them and clean out the junk. Never though I would do this, LOML didn't do it as she is comfortable with her Window box. My first computer was a Tandy 1000 with 2 floppy's and 640 K of memory Dos 2.11, a Dot Matrix printer and a 10 or 12 inch color monitor. and cost $2500+software. this thing has 16GB memory a 1TB harddrive and 21" HD Screen a Blue tooth Key Board and Mouse for under $1700. I am getting MS Office for Mac so I can use my Excell and Word files, but no other software except for what's on the machine. Do I need it? No just gotten tired of Windows quirks and goofy Ie what ever. Besides I wanted a challenge to keep the brain active have a bunch a stuff to keep me going physically but need something for the brain.
    For those of you who have never been to an Apple store, it is an experience and very busy. The have all kinds of help and classes so they do all they can to help with the change over.
    Better go clean up so I can get back by the time the race starts.

Tom
  • frumper64
    Established Member
    • Feb 2004
    • Garland, Tx, USA.

I converted from Windows to a IMac a year or so ago and have never looked back. The first couple of weeks can be a bit frustrating as you try to figure out how to do things, but the secret is that you are over thinking it. The OS-X operating system is great and really quite intuitive once you get the hang of "Mac-think". Enjoy it - I sure have.
    Jim
    64sedan_at_gmail.com

Comment

• gsmittle
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2004
      • St. Louis, MO, USA.
      • BT 3100

Tom,

The iWork package (Pages, Numbers, and Keynote) can read and open (as well as save as) Word and Excel files. Sometimes the formatting is a bit wonky, but doesn't take long to clean up.

iWork is also considerably cheaper than Office.

Or you could look at something free, like Open Office.

Welcome to the Dark Side. We have cookies.

g.
      Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
      Bill & Ted

Comment

• gerti
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2003
        • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
        • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Dark side?

I'd say it's the bright side! Once you figured out how everything works you'll find that you have a lot more time, everything is just so much smoother.

Enjoy!

Comment

• wardprobst
          • Jan 2006
          • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
          • Craftsman 22811

We went to Apple almost two years ago, started with a Macbook Pro, then iPads and iMac, it's really been good for the most part. Still have two old PCs with a lot of data on them for archives. Moving things over slowly, don't miss the PC world much.
          DP
          www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• TB Roye
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Sacramento, CA, USA.
            • BT3100

Shortly after posting this afternoon I started feeling poorly, had be out in the sun doing yard work and washing outside of the windows. Being almost 71 I don't do heat very well any more. I will go pick it up get it set Sunday after church. Church is over at 10:30, Apple store opens at 11 so it will work good. The offer classes at he store to lean different Apps and I will be taking them after I get back from our road trip to Idaho and the northwest. I will use their help in setting it up and getting every synced. I plan on keep the Window box around until I get the file off of it I want and need. They would help transfer everything but need or want every thing on there. I have some confidential files from when I was working 10 years ago time to get rid of them. This way I will start the new experience with out the clutter of my old machine. Just thing now more Norton or McAfee to mess with. will probably dump Yahoo mail and go to Gmail at the same time. Most of my contact are already on my iPhone and iPad from the Cloud where ever that is. I think iwork is already on there but I want Office for my spreadsheets for the budget and church files. Just a comfort thing for now.

My Graddaughter is going with me we gave her my wife's iPad when she go her new with cellular besides the wifi. She has some question for Apple about her ipad. If Microsoft would have built PC's way back when they might have controlled every thing as it was they just did the software where Apple does just about everything. Have seen Steve Jobs in the shop yet though. In fact the iMac was assembled about 1.5 miles from here that why it got here today instead of next Wednesday but it was driven across town to the store which is 10 miles away.

Tom
            Last edited by TB Roye; 08-25-2013, 12:04 AM.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2005
              • Independence, MO, USA.
              • bt3100

Originally posted by TB Roye
              Have seen Steve Jobs in the shop yet though. In fact the iMac was assembled about 1.5 miles from here that why it got here today instead of next Wednesday but it was driven across town to the store which is 10 miles away.

Tom
              He must have looked horrible.

Once your done with your Windows box, might I recommend, DBAN (dan's boot and nuke) to destroy your/the confidential file(s) and all on the hard drive. That or remove the hard drive, disassemble and keep the strong magnets that are in it.

Another option, since you want a mind challenge, well, you have seen my user name.
              She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• TB Roye
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2004
                • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                • BT3100

-I have a cheaper way, its called a Ball Peen Hammer. done it many times. I will probably keep it until I get all the pictures on CD/DVDs and off the floppy disc's and Iomega Cartridges aka zip drive. Also I have recorded the PBS Woodworkers show and need to get them onto DVD's That is my project for this winter. Will set it up in my shop and be able to spread out, and get things done that's why I don't want to import my files off the old computer. Will be start from scratch on the iMac. Time for Church then the Apple store. I have often thought of going to the Dark Side with the BT3, but it has served me well and have no need to upgrade as my woodworking has slowed considerably as I age. It is still in great shape and does everything I want.

Tom

Comment

• TB Roye
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2004
                  • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                  • BT3100

Got there so far so good. It found my HP printer with no problem and set it up for me. Now to import a few files in Excell so I can pay bills. Also need to make the text bigger haven't figured that out yet what I tried didn't seem to work. I do like this smaller Blue Toot keyboard and both the snap on blue tooth numeric key pad and that great also. Had fun at the store great service and this thing was boxed like christmas present very elegant. Apples got it figured out the store was full and there were 6 of us at the set up table. In all a great experience

Tom

Comment

• frumper64
                    Established Member
                    • Feb 2004
                    • Garland, Tx, USA.

May sound silly, but try "Zoom" from the "View" menu item. Works in Firefox. Excel and Word anyway.
                    Jim
                    64sedan_at_gmail.com

Comment

• leehljp
                      Just me
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Tunica, MS
                      • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by TB Roye
                      Also need to make the text bigger haven't figured that out yet what I tried didn't seem to work.
                      Tom
                      To increase text size - Press Command and the + key.

To decrease the size, press Command - (minus)

The Command Key has the ⌘ symbol.
                      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• TB Roye
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2004
                        • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                        • BT3100

Thanks

I bought a book and it doesn't give that kind of information. Having problems bringing file over from old computer. Managed to get my September Budget Excel file over, but some of the other others came as read only. What does the file extension xlsx mean? most of my excell file I tried to migrate came as xlsx and read only. When i get back from vacation Sept 14 then I will make and appointment for some one to one training that i paid for. I like the iMac but just the learning curve is a little steep right now. The blue tooth keyboard and numeric key pad are great, the are smaller than I am used to but my finger are adjusting well, not near the typos.

Tom

Comment

• bigstick509
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2004
                          • Macomb, MI, USA.
                          • BT3100

I made the switch about 6 years ago. The learning curve was a problem for me, but forced myself to use OSX. I did have Windows on the MBP using VMWare Fusion for Quicken and as a last resort. It took almost a year to feel comfortable, now I only have one older netbook with a dual boot Windows/Ubuntu. Hang in there, it gets better.

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain

Comment

• TB Roye
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jan 2004
                            • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                            • BT3100

Make progress, I have managed to get a unprotect copy of my Budget into Excel on the Mac and have made progress last night and this morning. Got to got to Costco this morning to have tires rotated and balanced, will look for the plastic pocket protector while I am there. It is a neat computer, nice reading Email with out all the adds and other junk that is on the Windows box. This will look better in my new man cave I will start after vacation. Retired people on vacation? how about a Road Trip?

Tom

Comment

• durango dude
                              • Mar 2011
                              • a thousand or so feet above insanity
                              • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

phew - for a moment, I thought he was going to announce that he bought a Sawstop.

Comment

Working...